body image issues Watch

SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I’m a guy age 20

I struggle badly with this and I feel alone. Sometimes I feel like posting a topless picture online and asking “am I obese?”.

I am 5’8 73kg. I have grade 1 gynecomastia (man boobs) and I guess that makes me feel fatter than I actually am. I also have made abysmal progress for someone who has been lifting weights for 4 years. Although I am hoping that once I strip away my fat I will have more muscle definition but even my progress strength wise will have been abysmal.

I keep telling myself that I will lose my fat and I will be happy with my progress, and once I conquer this then I will be able to beat anything in the future because this really has been a tough fight.
DrawTheLine
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by SuperHuman98)
I’m a guy age 20

I struggle badly with this and I feel alone. Sometimes I feel like posting a topless picture online and asking “am I obese?”.

I am 5’8 73kg. I have grade 1 gynecomastia (man boobs) and I guess that makes me feel fatter than I actually am. I also have made abysmal progress for someone who has been lifting weights for 4 years. Although I am hoping that once I strip away my fat I will have more muscle definition but even my progress strength wise will have been abysmal.

I keep telling myself that I will lose my fat and I will be happy with my progress, and once I conquer this then I will be able to beat anything in the future because this really has been a tough fight.
Might be worth popping to your GP and asking for advice, both on the physical health front and the mental health front. You can be referred to services that can help you a great deal.
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
Might be worth popping to your GP and asking for advice, both on the physical health front and the mental health front. You can be referred to services that can help you a great deal.
I don’t think my GP can do anything regarding my chest. I am going to reduce my bodyfat down to 10-12% and see what happens while I save up for surgery. I will also try and get hormone levels checked. But it’s honestly too late. Lots of guys get this problem in their teens but then it goes away while I am turning 21 in a few months.

I will book a counselling appointment with my university once I move back. Last time they told me to just distract myself when the negative thoughts come back which was possible during exam season because exams were a distraction.
Anonymous #1
Report 1 week ago
I’m a guy age 20

Don't bother with the weights and get in cardio machines instead if you're wanting to strip away fat instead of build muscle. 73kg isn't really obese, but if you're trying to lose weight then cardio and (more importantly) a good diet is where you should start.
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
(Original post by Anonymous)
Don't bother with the weights and get in cardio machines instead if you're wanting to strip away fat instead of build muscle. 73kg isn't really obese, but if you're trying to lose weight then cardio and (more importantly) a good diet is where you should start.
I agree diet is important and I am bringing in a bit of cardio now.

But weights are super important because you need to maintain as much muscle as possible especially in my case because like you said 73kg isn’t obese.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
I’m a guy age 20

So I used to be like you in terms of my having man boobs as well. They were pretty bad. I weighed 95kg and am 5'6" - that was when I was 26. I reduced my calorie consumption and went hell for leather on cardio. Two years later, I now weigh 63.5kg and my man boobs have all gone now, in fact because cardio has stripped away muscle and fat, you can mainly just see the ribcage. Now that isn't healthy I know, but I'll be building muscle up soon. The key thing I think though is that you use cardio to burn off the fat and muscle and then rebuild using strength training.
SuperHuman98
Rep:
?
I've been feeling pretty gloomy and generally really irritable today
Anonymous #3
Report 1 week ago
I’m a guy age 20

Have you seen your GP about the gynaecomastia or is this a self-diagnosis? Have you had your hormone levels checked?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%