student finance help ! 2 years of student finance used???? Watch

mollyyyy267
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So i went to uni in 2017 in london to study psychology and absolutely hated it and withdrew after 6 weeks. september 2018 i started uni in sheffield studying public relations and media, I have only passed two modules this year due to mental health reasons and the uni have been aware of this, and i also really wasn't happy with the course but tried to pull through i really like the uni and the friends i have met in sheffield, but would love to start a different course this september, but i have no idea where to go with student finance????have i only got two years left of finance??? does my time at uni in london count for a full year??? and also i have medical evidence for my struggles at uni this year so could that year be written off???i am also wanting to start a course in learning disability nursing with social work in september at the same uni, is this a course that could be exempt from the student finance rules??
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by mollyyyy267)
So i went to uni in 2017 in london to study psychology and absolutely hated it and withdrew after 6 weeks. september 2018 i started uni in sheffield studying public relations and media, I have only passed two modules this year due to mental health reasons and the uni have been aware of this, and i also really wasn't happy with the course but tried to pull through i really like the uni and the friends i have met in sheffield, but would love to start a different course this september, but i have no idea where to go with student finance????have i only got two years left of finance??? does my time at uni in london count for a full year??? and also i have medical evidence for my struggles at uni this year so could that year be written off???i am also wanting to start a course in learning disability nursing with social work in september at the same uni, is this a course that could be exempt from the student finance rules??
1. The way student finance works is you get your degree length +1 gift year.
You used the first year in 2017, so you became degree length +0.
You used the second year on this current course so you become degree -1.

2. The only way to get that back is to put in a compelling personal reasons claim, which if accepted will get you the years finance back and thereby allow you to continue with a degree financed from year 1.

3. To get a compelling personal reasons claim through you are going to need evidence, in this case you have anxiety
, you have medical evidence and it affected your exams causing you to fail or drop out. It also helps if the evidence you had shows you were responsible and getting treatment with lots of doctors evidence appointments and treatment.
They need to differentiate you from someone who just did poorly at exams. More evidence you have the better.

http://documents.manchester.ac.uk/di...px?DocID=25908

4. Your time at uni counts as a full year as any part payment does.

5. If I were interviewing you my concern would be how do they know after two unsuccessful starts you have dealt with your anxiety and you can cope with a degree? How do they know it wont just repeat for anxiety or academic reasons? It is important you can persuade them anxiety is under control. Would it not be wiser to take a year out and get it under control? Have you been offered a nursing place?

6. Talk to sfe whether you can use the allied health career second degree as just a fresh start even if you didnt complete the first.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=910

7. If you do get the year back then you can start any degree.
8. You are leaving it incredibly late to expect sfe to process your claim in time.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (138)
13.48%
Excited (93)
9.08%
Worried (193)
18.85%
Terrified (234)
22.85%
Meh (78)
7.62%
Confused (29)
2.83%