Far-right terrorism on the rise Watch

The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
https://www.thedailybeast.com/el-pas...rorist-attacks

Give me a break, we had enough hate in the 20th century (Hitler and all that) but it seems like the atmosphere still has not died for some fools.
And this is why we have hate speech laws, to prevent people from being brainwashed into brainless morons like these terrorists.
Levi Partridge
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by The RAR)

Give me a break, we had enough hate in the 20th century (Hitler and all that) but it seems like the atmosphere still has not died for some fools.
And this is why we have hate speech laws, to prevent people from being brainwashed into brainless morons like these terrorists.
And the way it's being allowed to happen so easily makes it seem like we're all being played on both ends of their "them/us" division
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Yes, in an ideal world we need far-left's theoretical only Communism which sadly never works in practice.

In a true liberal society, who are we to prevent/block views?

It's too complicated Most of them are probably nice people if you get to know them... as are people from most sides of politics...
The RAR
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by centraltrains)
Yes, in an ideal world we need far-left's theoretical only Communism which sadly never works in practice.

It's too complicated Most of them are probably nice people if you get to know them... as are people from most sides of politics...
I feel like just like with ISIS, all these far right terror attacks have been planned by someone or by a organisation of some sort
centraltrains
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I feel like just like with ISIS, all these far right terror attacks have been planned by someone or by a organisation of some sort
I think greed can often be at play when planned. I don't think many people would reject power - just some people want it so much and have horrible evil ways to try and get it. Is it possible to make it so that no one is greedy?
Levi Partridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago

(Paragraph 1, tried split quoting but didn't work)
It never works in practice because as it exists now it's crude and vague, though it can be worked on (ditching authoritarianism is a brilliant start) and projecting 200-300 years to the future it's arguably necessary if we want to eliminate social corruption entirely

(Paragraph 2)
We don't, we reason with logic persistently down to the wire

(Paragraph 3)
Yeah, I've had some of my best debates with an ultranationalist, he seems more open to reasoning than anybody else I have discussions with
Levi Partridge
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think greed can often be at play when planned. I don't think many people would reject power - just some people want it so much and have horrible evil ways to try and get it. Is it possible to make it so that no one is greedy?
To make that so you really need to abolish material currency, which most people in the world will say is barmy (which it sort of is) and won't work at the moment (half of which is down to needing people to be willing, which is a reliance paradox), in order to get it to work we need to assign much more philosophical energy into solving, which I do spend quite a lot of my time doing; if we can derive the same motivation in people to work and do things without the incentive of material gain through some other means - sadly people tend to be so stubborn I doubt it'll happen in my or my children's lives, but the best thing to do about a very long task is to get going
Last edited by Levi Partridge; 2 weeks ago
Wōden
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago

Well clearly, these amazing hate speech laws are not working very well if far-right extremism is on the rise....

It's almost as if forcing people to suppress their true feelings on certain matters, not allowing them to discuss them openly and frankly in public, only pushes them deeper into an echo chamber, brews resentment, which sometimes, in some individuals, explodes to the surface violently. Just a thought.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wōden)
Well clearly, these amazing hate speech laws are not working very well if far-right extremism is on the rise....

It's almost as if forcing people to suppress their true feelings on certain matters, not allowing them to discuss them openly and frankly in public, only pushes them deeper into an echo chamber, brews resentment, which sometimes, in some individuals, explodes to the surface violently. Just a thought.
Just to play devils advocate here but on the other hand if you let this speech become part of normal public discourse you have the very real prospect of it becoming main stream and acceptable.
I mean both approaches have their pros and cons but it would seem that banning the speech in public has slightly fewer drawbacks than allowing people to walk around town ranting about how all muslims/blacks/gays etc etc should be lynched or what not.
looloo2134
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Is it going up or is more in the news.
anarchism101
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Wōden)
The US, where this took place, doesn't have hate speech. My interpretation of the previous post was they were arguing that us in the UK having hate speech laws is part of the reason we don't have such a far-right terrorism problem (if they're not saying that, not really sure what they're getting at). Which I'm not sure I agree with, maybe it plays a part, but different gun laws are probably a bigger factor.

Whether that's true on a more general scale is a different discussion, but this particular case study doesn't support such a hypothesis at all. The kind of politics the shooter proclaimed, far from being at its most suppressed and marginalised, is the closest to the American political mainstream it's been in decades.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (170)
12.84%
Excited (114)
8.61%
Worried (245)
18.5%
Terrified (304)
22.96%
Meh (107)
8.08%
Confused (33)
2.49%