Girl♥RadioHeart
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
So, I was on the bus home the other day and it was full of...shall we say...more mature passengers (aka OAPs!) They were all sat on the inside seat with the seat by the window free. There were two elderly ladies sat on the back seat with all thier shopping spread about on the other back seats so no one could sit down. Bearing in mind I had all my shopping and work stuff... I hear these young kids chatting and joking and playing music from their mobiles and I thought ... "Uh oh... bus journey from hell" ... when to my surprise one of them stood up and offered me their seat!!!!!

I guess the point of this thread is...

Do you think young people are tarred with the same brush and given a bad name because of the media? Do older people say the younger generations are rude when actually them themselves sometimes show little respect??
SoundDevastation
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yes. respect should apply to everyone.. regardless of age. If someone needs a seat more than you then its only right to let them have it.
randomgirl
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
a kid gave you (a young adult?) their seat? I wouldn't expect kids to give other 'kids' (or basically anyone who is not pregnant or elderly) a seat. Good on them :p: they aren't all bad lol.
crazylemon
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I do.
Girl♥RadioHeart
Rep:
?
(Original post by randomgirl)
a kid gave you (a young adult?) their seat? I wouldn't expect kids to give other 'kids' (or basically anyone who is not pregnant or elderly) a seat. Good on them :p: they aren't all bad lol.

Exactly my point! The young boy who stood up, I say young, he was bout 12/13 , seemed the least likely person on that bus to give up his seat, but he did! Did I perceive him to be rude and ill-mannered because of his age and the clothes he was wearing and because of the impression people have of young kids nowadays?? Not one of the elderly passengers offered to give move a seat to make room for me!!
Belle-x
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I find so many old people to be rude and it annoys me like crazy. Everyone should treat everbody with mutual respect, regardless of age.
spartan101
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeh its not fair that people are tarred with the same brush. Having said that, its unusual to see another kid give up their seat to someone who's not pregnant or elderly, like someone else mentioned.

Maybe you're just hot and the kid thought he was in! lol
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Belle-x)
I find so many old people to be rude and it annoys me like crazy. Everyone should treat everbody with mutual respect, regardless of age.
Children should be seen and not heard imo
Queen Alice
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I blame the daily mail :P
We are all in the "cult of emo", have ASBOs and binge drink according to them!

Anyway, I think people should learn to show less prejudice, because most people do not conform to a steriotype.

Kids learn their behaviour from adults, so I don't see how we could be any worse
anna_spanner89
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you know what i find...

i find at work the rudes and most annoying customers are women aged 40-80 odd

opposed too the groups of teenage girls beetween 11-16 who are nice, respectful, even though by appearance these girls can look quite chavvy etc, with their mobiles playing music, chatting etc
Girl♥RadioHeart
Rep:
?
(Original post by spartan101)
Yeh its not fair that people are tarred with the same brush. Having said that, its unusual to see another kid give up their seat to someone who's not pregnant or elderly, like someone else mentioned.

Maybe you're just hot and the kid thought he was in! lol
HaHa!! I like that suggestion but I think he saw me struggling with my bags and being unbalanced having no hands free to hold on and despite his mates laughing at him, he still offered me his seat In the end the girls he were with seemed to be swooning over him as he proved his gentlemanliness, this shut the other guys up lol - I bet he's a right stud!!!
Charlurr
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I use the bus everyday for college and very often I find that old people are very negative. I think its perceived as all youngsters are all fit and healthy or absolute *******s, so they do things their way, spreading out their shopping, stretch their legs into the isles so you cant get past and push in the queue >_>

That said, most of the youngsters on the buses are pricks as well Just the other day, one used a permanent marker to block the cameras etc so he could have a fag. Shame the bus driver watched him do it. Shame the ticket police people were at the next stop. Shame the police were there as well. ^_^
Somebody
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Wow! A kid with manners! Always good to see!

I honestly think that the majority of kids / teenagers nowadays are actually decent, polite people, but the 10% or so who aren't ruin it for everyone.

Whereas, a lot (but not all, I stress!) of elderly people feel they have the "right" to be selfish since they've "done a lot for the country" or whatever. But no-one dares point out to them the flaw that we haven't had the chance yuet cos it's not 'respecting your elders' (which I'm strongly for too by the way!)

But it's always the minority that tend to ruin things for the majority! :p:
Age_of_Innocence
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
He probably thought you were fit.
I have seen a lot of people taking up a lot more room than necessary, of every age. Usually they are younger though to be honest.
vex44
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Girl♥RadioHeart)
HaHa!! I like that suggestion but I think he saw me struggling with my bags and being unbalanced having no hands free to hold on and despite his mates laughing at him, he still offered me his seat In the end the girls he were with seemed to be swooning over him as he proved his gentlemanliness, this shut the other guys up lol - I bet he's a right stud!!!
This is the reason why I give up my seat in the bus! Lol just joking! Naa i sort of feel awkward if im sitting down comfortably and their is either a pregnant women, OAP or a lady with kids standing on the bus! I feel really awkward and then just give them my seat lol (out of goodness, but also to just stop me from feeling awkward )
Girl♥RadioHeart
Rep:
?
(Original post by Charlurr)
That said, most of the youngsters on the buses are pricks as well Just the other day, one used a permanent marker to block the cameras etc so he could have a fag. Shame the bus driver watched him do it. Shame the ticket police people were at the next stop. Shame the police were there as well. ^_^
Oops lol! Yeah, some youngsters are real pains in the ass but that said... I think people presume that all young people are the same, so me getting on the bus, with my "young person" clothes and i-pod in the elderley passengers failed to note me as a fellow human with heavy shopping and presumed I could cope...
Wind Guru
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Somebody)
Wow! A kid with manners! Always good to see!

I honestly think that the majority of kids / teenagers nowadays are actually decent, polite people, but the 10% or so who aren't ruin it for everyone.

Whereas, a lot (but not all, I stress!) of elderly people feel they have the "right" to be selfish since they've "done a lot for the country" or whatever. But no-one dares point out to them the flaw that we haven't had the chance yuet cos it's not 'respecting your elders' (which I'm strongly for too by the way!)

But it's always the minority that tend to ruin things for the majority! :p:
Agreed!
Nice of the kid to give you his seat I would have been dumbstuck ha
Girl♥RadioHeart
Rep:
?
(Original post by Wind Guru)
Agreed!
Nice of the kid to give you his seat I would have been dumbstuck ha
Lol! Totally, I just sort of went... "Are you sure?? Oh...Ok...Thanks!!!"
Reltub
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=197580

Take note of my profile picture people!
Girl♥RadioHeart
Rep:
?
(Original post by imtired)
No way. But i don't agree that they have been given a bad name by the media that they don't deserve, most children are not like that, there is a reason for the bad image they have and their portrayal in the media.
I agree that there is a percentage of young people nowadays who act in such a way that would support the claims made in the media, but as someone said, to treat everyone as if they have an ASBO or belong in a Young people's institutes because of the behaviour of the minority is wrong... Why should young people "respect" elderly people when they fail to show the same respect to innocent youngsters...It was all too easy for the old people to move when another person of thier age got on the bus, but they wouldn't move for me...
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How has the start of this academic year been for you?

Loving it - gonna be a great year (139)
17.77%
It's just nice to be back! (211)
26.98%
Not great so far... (281)
35.93%
I want to drop out! (151)
19.31%

Watched Threads