What do you do in lectures?? Watch

Dgriff99
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
There’s honesty no point going to the lectures if you’re not going to pay attention to what is going on, taking notes is important for you to look back on to help you in your other work
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Liverpool Hope University
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Hi Dgriff99

Undergraduate degrees typically consist of independent learning alongside lectures, seminars and tutorials.

Lectures tend to take place in a lecture theater or large room and with a large number of students. Usually, they have a lecturer who will speak to the class and students will take class notes as their teacher works through a presentation, and/or case studies and theories related to the subject. These are an important part of the course as they provide a base knowledge of the topics you will learn.

Seminars allow you to apply the knowledge learned within the lecture though group work, discussions, debates etc. In the seminar class there will usually be a smaller number of students with a tutor explaining a topic in more detail and they will expect feedback and participation from students.

Tutorials are typically one-on-one sessions or small groups where students meet with their personal tutor or lecturer. The majority of the time, individuals use tutorials to discuss previous coursework and assignments, gather constructive and in-depth feedback as well as talk about plans regarding future assessments.

I hope this helps!

Amy
Last edited by Liverpool Hope University; 1 week ago
Dgriff99
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Liverpool Hope University)
Hi Dgriff99

Undergraduate degrees typically consist of independent learning alongside lectures, seminars and tutorials.

Lectures tend to take place in a lecture theater or large room and with a large number of students. Usually, they have a lecturer who will speak to the class and students will take class notes as their teacher works through a presentation, and/or case studies and theories related to the subject. These are an important part of the course as they provide a base knowledge of the topics you will learn.

Seminars allow you to apply the knowledge learned within the lecture though group work, discussions, debates etc. In the seminar class there will usually be a smaller number of students with a tutor explaining a topic in more detail and they will expect feedback and participation from students.

Tutorials are typically one-on-one sessions or small groups where students meet with their personal tutor or lecturer. The majority of the time, individuals use tutorials to discuss previous coursework and assignments, gather constructive and in-depth feedback as well as talk about plans regarding future assessments.

I hope this helps!

Amy
I know I’ve been to uni for three years, I wasn’t asking a question
I was saying there is no point going to the lectures if you’re not going to do anything
luvestry
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by captainamerica77)
Do you take notes? Sleep? talk? Asos? Eat?

And what are you supposed to do??

A guy who did my course and got a first told me he never took lecture notes... would you advise this???

Im not a fan of lecture notes but would that make things awkward and would people give me stares?? I dont want to take a laptop cause thats awkward.... and Im not doing a C.S degree....
Hey there 😁
So I don’t feel rushed to take down everything during the lecture, I make some brief notes the night before from the lecture slides (the lecturers put them up 24hrs before they’re delivered). Then I don’t feel like I have to write everything done - the less stress the better 😂
I also draw important diagrams after the lecture (I study Biology).

For the more boring lectures, I might sometimes improve my drawing skills - my art has improved since my time at uni...
tawnoak
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I know for my third and final year my plan is to take notes by hand based on purely what the lecturer is saying, and then type it up along with extra notes from the powerpoints later. Serves as a study tool as well to help the lesson points sink in! Originally had been doing it in class on a laptop but my newer laptop is much heavier and a tad noisier so it’s awkward to take into lecture halls lol

(History student btw 👍🏼)
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Look at girls in gym wear.
AdamCor
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Listen and take notes, ask questions if your lecturer allows it. If you don't take notes then there's really not much point turning up to lectures, or even to university.
ohnoitssophie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I listen and take notes mainly. I take both my laptop and my iPad - I use my laptop to record the lecture and look up definitions/extra info while they're talking and use my iPad to bring up the handout/powerpoint to annotate with handwritten notes. I tried typing notes, but I find I don't get as much down and I'm faster at scribbling stuff down by hand

Ofc it depends on the module and teacher - one of my modules this year was on pop culture in Japan and East Asia which was amazing, and the teacher got us to discuss things throughout (it was a small class of around 30) rather than just talk at us so it was more engaging and I would actively read around that subject as it was a big interest. In my last semester, I had a compulsory module which was a combination of European literature, classics and media and it was not my thing at all. In those ones I tended to zone out (hence the recording of lectures).

I go to as many lectures as I can. I don't see the point of skipping lectures because I think it takes too much time outside of class to catch up and learn it by yourself
SubZero~
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What a good student should do, i.e. take notes, ask questions for clarification, etc...

Generally we only get to ask questions at the end or in between if it's a two hour lecture.
Last edited by SubZero~; 1 week ago
h333
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Eat
Sadie3500
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If im honest most lectures are very boring. My lectures are all put up online afterwards so we can see the slides but my lecturer still tells us to take notes because she talks about things in more detail. Things that aren't written down. We're also encouraged to make note of our own thoughts, things to research and look further into.. that kinda thing. Or just making the lecture make sense to us personally. But you don't need to hand your lecture notes in and if you aren't making notes or if youre not paying attention the lecturers don't really care, they see it as your loss not theirs.
captainamerica77
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Thanks for your advise... been really helpful
ShahdA
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by captainamerica77)
Do you take notes? Sleep? talk? Asos? Eat?

And what are you supposed to do??

A guy who did my course and got a first told me he never took lecture notes... would you advise this???

Im not a fan of lecture notes but would that make things awkward and would people give me stares?? I dont want to take a laptop cause thats awkward.... and Im not doing a C.S degree....
I think i have a very short attention span. I prefer to take notes in all my lectures to keep myself busy. During boring lectures I'm always keen on taking notes so i don’t zone out and end up missing an important piece of information. The more interactive the lecture is, i’m less likely to check my social media, but in between taking notes I'm usually on my phone or planning something to do after the lecture.
I also prefer to answer questions too.
UWS
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Plan my exit.
CoolCavy
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Honestly i hate lectures for my course. I do design so the lectures we do have are all about marketing and business. Its a chore just to get through them awake. Tbh last year i skipped most of them and just watched the lecture capture at 1.25 speed since my lecturer has the slowest droning voice known to man. Loads of people take laptops, how else would they show off their £1000 apple logo
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Urghhh I so hate when people talk during lectures. It's one thing to be on your phone and not listen, but to stop others from listening just annoys me. When I'm (hopefully!) a lecturer I will not be sympathetic to those who talk
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Noodlzzz)
Urghhh I so hate when people talk during lectures. It's one thing to be on your phone and not listen, but to stop others from listening just annoys me. When I'm (hopefully!) a lecturer I will not be sympathetic to those who talk
I completely agree with you 😃 one of lecturers can’t stand people talking during his lectures so much so he keeps tapping the microphone until people stop. It messes up the recording but major respect ✊
MaddyCad
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If you're an international student and have a bit of a hard time taking notes in English can you record the lectures?
Anonymous #2
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MaddyCad)
If you're an international student and have a bit of a hard time taking notes in English can you record the lectures?
If you ask the lecturer at the beginning of the lecture if it’s okay, I don’t see why you can’t. At some universities the lecturers either record the lecture themselves for use afterwards, or they post the slides up afterwards.
Noodlzzz
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by MaddyCad)
for sure! Some universities allow this as a general rule, some require you to make the lecturer aware you are recording and agree not to distribute without consent.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads