flashmedia
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hello guys

I'm in need of some guidance. I am graduating soon with a degree in electrical +electronic engineering from a red brick university. I'm pretty much expecting a to scrape a third, perhaps in this day and age the most disgraceful thing tat could ever happen to someone who attends a university.

My situation is this. I am British of Chinese descent, whose parents are both very successful professionals. I was basically pushed to do an EE degree by them, fundamentally because it would look good for the family to have at least one scienc-y son. I was a fairly able student at school (AAA at A levels Maths Physics Chem, yes I realise it does not necessarily mean I'm intelligent, and lets save this debate for another day). I found out early on during the course of the degree that I hated engineering, and when I expressed my desire to drop out and switch course, I was actually threatened with disownment by my father because dropping out will mean a loss of face for him. I was so shocked by this.

As a result I carried on half heartedly, treading water, barely passing my technical subjects. I actually did ok (60+) in the more sciency modules but since it was essentially a technical degree, 80% of the modules were technically-based, all of which I hated (all the rubbish labwork and programming) and scraped bare minimum passes. Didn't help that the whole time I was resentful of everything.

I'm pretty sure now I'm going to end up with a third class degree. My struggle seems neverending. I have wrestled with a degree programme I absolutely loathe, now having to face the uphill battle of finding suitable employment armed with a completely rubbish degree results.

Sorry it's been an essay, but can anyone point me in the right direction or have I been damned to a lifetime of food and beverage servitude?
Angel_Cake
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
A friend of mine has a brother who got a third and has done amazingly well. It's definitely possible.

I think you really just need to work out what it is you actually want to do. What did you want to switch course to? AAA are very respectable A-levels. Admittedly you won't get on to any graduate schemes with a third class degree but a lot of smaller companies really just want any degree in anything, it won't exactly help you but it is not a complete disaster. You just need to work out which direction you want to go in next, where you would like to work - you've done the degree now so forget about pleasing your parents. Once you've got a better idea of this it might be easier for others to advise you on how you can go about it.
brightxburns
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Have you thought about studying something else?
cottonwoolsheep
Report 11 years ago
You would probably be okay with a third to work in a related engineering field (probably not at grad level) but I assume from your post that engineering is not for you. A good alternative might be teaching - with your a levels (you only need A level to teach physics or maths its so shortage) plus degree you probably wouldnt have too much difficulty with a littl relative experince in getting onto a maths/physics pgce.
prodriven
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If your just finishing you uni you must be over 20, yes? Then why let your parents dictate to you want you can and cant do? If you dont like engineering then you have quite simply wasted three years doing a subject you dont want to carry on with.... So why not now try to turn things around and go for something you will enjoy. If your parents are happy to disown you for following a career choice of happiness then I think you need to question your relationship with them.

The big question is, what do you want to do?
flashmedia
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Thanks all. Teaching sounds good, not my first choice but not that I have many options if at all.

I shall not be dictated by my parents in making my career decisions, having seen my undergraduate career utterly destroyed thanks very much to them (in fairness, they footed the bill for everything, changing courses would have meant me taking out a loan that they will refuse to co-sign, having being disowned and all).
mountainmetman
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Speaking as someone that has a third, you may not be able to start at as high a level in your chosen job but you can still do it.
There are many jobs in unrelated fields where having an hons degree in any subject, let alone one with the word "engineering" in the title (trust me, these things can make a difference), can impress a prospective employer.
Keep your chin up and don't be afraid to do a job that isn't your ideal one for a bit. Applying for better jobs is easier when you're already employed. (or look at studying more - possibly part time - in an area you find more interesting).
Good luck.
billyboymccoy
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Join the navy? Although one of the best jobs you could get would be engineering in the forces
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (10)
6.45%
They might tell the bully (16)
10.32%
I don't think they'd understand (28)
18.06%
It might lead to more bullying (58)
37.42%
There's nothing they could do (43)
27.74%

Watched Threads