The Student Room Group

Failed Nat 5 Maths, any chance of medicine?

Got the Nat 5 results today, passed all of them apart from Maths. Comfortably passed Biology and Chemistry so will definitely sit higher in those subjects next year. I don’t know what happened with Maths to be honest, think I just bottled it.

Thinking of retaking it next year, then doing the higher in 6th year along with advanced human bio and advanced chem. Also doing the reach programme for uni. Is there any realistic chance that I could make it to study medicine at uni?
Original post by Mcorr33
Got the Nat 5 results today, passed all of them apart from Maths. Comfortably passed Biology and Chemistry so will definitely sit higher in those subjects next year. I don’t know what happened with Maths to be honest, think I just bottled it.

Thinking of retaking it next year, then doing the higher in 6th year along with advanced human bio and advanced chem. Also doing the reach programme for uni. Is there any realistic chance that I could make it to study medicine at uni?

Well done for your passing your other subjects! :smile:

Would you be retaking maths alongside 5 highers?
Reply 2
Yes I would be taking Nat 5 Maths along with Higher English, Higher Chemistry, Higher Human Biology and Higher Spanish
Original post by Mcorr33
Yes I would be taking Nat 5 Maths along with Higher English, Higher Chemistry, Higher Human Biology and Higher Spanish

Usually for medicine you need to do 5 highers in one sitting (or if they don't require it, they will have plenty of candidates who do have it), so unless you were able to do maths independently and do a 5th higher, then (by the standard route at least- there are always others!) probably, but not definitely, not. I'm not a medicine applications expert though, so I'd encourage you to have a look at the entry requirements on each uni website that runs the course, to see if any would consider applicants with 4 highers.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Labrador99
Usually for medicine you need to do 5 highers in one sitting (or if they don't require it, they will have plenty of candidates who do have it), so unless you were able to do maths independently and do a 5th higher, then (by the standard route at least- there are always others!) probably, but not definitely, not. I'm not a medicine applications expert though, so I'd encourage you to have a look at the entry requirements on each uni website that runs the course, to see if any would consider applicants with 4 highers.

The uni I’m trying to get into says it’s acceptable to take Higher Maths in S6 granted that your S5 grades are AAAB/AABB are achieved at the least.
Original post by Mcorr33
The uni I’m trying to get into says it’s acceptable to take Higher Maths in S6 granted that your S5 grades are AAAB/AABB are achieved at the least.

In that case, as the entry requirements say, you have a chance, but a couple of things to bear in mind...
- The minimum entry requirements are not the standard ones (not many people get in with the minimum- most will have achieved at least the standard ones)
- It might be worth broadening your search in terms of where you want to study for such a competitive course- you do only need one offer, but lots of people will apply to four med schools and get none :redface:
Original post by Labrador99
In that case, as the entry requirements say, you have a chance, but a couple of things to bear in mind...
- The minimum entry requirements are not the standard ones (not many people get in with the minimum- most will have achieved at least the standard ones)
- It might be worth broadening your search in terms of where you want to study for such a competitive course- you do only need one offer, but lots of people will apply to four med schools and get none :redface:

Hey, I’m going on to do medicine at the university of Glasgow and have read many of the universities entry requirements which as of this year have been getting stricter! They mainly say that you need at least a B at Nat 5 bio and chem and then a mixture of other subjects then at higher you need 5 in one sitting, unless a REACH applicant where 4 is acceptable but you need 3 from biology, chemistry, maths and physics at higher in one sitting so that would mean you would need to do higher physics instead. Exceptions may be made for example evidence of hardship etc. You could also enrich your application in our areas such as extracurricular and work experience to show your passion! I think your best bet is to phone the unis and speak to them! Good luck!
What uni is this?
Reply 8
Would that be University of Edinburgh ?

Quick Reply

Latest