LittleX
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hello,

I just want to clarify few things to avoid possible delays.

I have been living and working in Wales since I moved to the UK in October 2016, and I was also doing an Open University course since September 2017, but I have transferred credits to a brick university in north Wales because I would like to finish it full-time and the Open University wasn't my cup of tea.

Anyway, I would like to know what should I do now to avoid possible delays, I would like to apply for a tuition and maintenance loan as well because I have no parents or anybody else who would sponsor me, it would be much easier if I would move in a few weeks before I actually moved because three years in Wales would be enough to apply without extra (secret) conditions, right?

It is kind of impossible to find a new job before actual relocating to new place, so I had to resign and this is my last few days at current work which means that I won't be able to apply for maintenance loan before I manage to find a new job, am I right?

My Questions:

- Will I be able to apply for tuition loan now and for maintenance loan once I manage to get new job?
- Would I have to fill out the whole application again or just maintenance loan part?
- How much could I get?
- Should I send my application to SFE European team or SFW since I have been living in Wales and will be studying here?
- Even if I am going directly into the second year, I will be a new full-time student, right?

To answer your possible questions you usually have:

- I have been living in Europe my whole life.
- I have no qualifications
- I have gained no qualification from OU.
- I did 180 credits at the OU in two years.
- I haven't studied anything full time
- I'll study full-time from the second year.
- I'll have at least a part-time job to be able to survive, once I will find something (hopefully before I run out of money).

Thank you.
SFE Dean
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LittleX)
Hello,

I just want to clarify few things to avoid possible delays.

I have been living and working in Wales since I moved to the UK in October 2016, and I was also doing an Open University course since September 2017, but I have transferred credits to a brick university in north Wales because I would like to finish it full-time and the Open University wasn't my cup of tea.

Anyway, I would like to know what should I do now to avoid possible delays, I would like to apply for a tuition and maintenance loan as well because I have no parents or anybody else who would sponsor me, it would be much easier if I would move in a few weeks before I actually moved because three years in Wales would be enough to apply without extra (secret) conditions, right?

It is kind of impossible to find a new job before actual relocating to new place, so I had to resign and this is my last few days at current work which means that I won't be able to apply for maintenance loan before I manage to find a new job, am I right?

My Questions:

- Will I be able to apply for tuition loan now and for maintenance loan once I manage to get new job?
- Would I have to fill out the whole application again or just maintenance loan part?
- How much could I get?
- Should I send my application to SFE European team or SFW since I have been living in Wales and will be studying here?
- Even if I am going directly into the second year, I will be a new full-time student, right?

To answer your possible questions you usually have:

- I have been living in Europe my whole life.
- I have no qualifications
- I have gained no qualification from OU.
- I did 180 credits at the OU in two years.
- I haven't studied anything full time
- I'll study full-time from the second year.
- I'll have at least a part-time job to be able to survive, once I will find something (hopefully before I run out of money).

Thank you.
Hello,

I'm afraid we can only answer questions on Student Finance England in this forum.

Based on what you said, it will fall under the Student Finance Wales assessment rules as it looks like you'd qualify for the home funding.

Please re-post the message in the Student Finance Wales section if you haven't already here - Student Finance Wales.

Warm Regards, Dean.
LittleX
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Hi,

thank you for your answer, However, I contacted Student Finance Wales, and they told me if I haven't been living in the UK more than 3 years I cannot apply for student finance from Student Finance Wales but I will have to apply for student finance from SFE European team, because I moved to the UK in October 2016 it makes everything super complicated, if I would move here in August it would be so much easier, right?

Thank you.
Last edited by LittleX; 1 year ago
Duncan SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by LittleX)
Hi,

thank you for your answer, However, I contacted Student Finance Wales, and they told me if I haven't been living in the UK more than 3 years I cannot apply for student finance from Student Finance Wales but I will have to apply for student finance from SFE European team, because I moved to the UK in October 2016 it makes everything super complicated, if I would move here in August it would be so much easier, right?

Thank you.
Hi,

If Student Finance Wales can't fund you for a maintenance loan then you'd only potentially be eligible for a tuition fee only from our EU team.

Regards, Duncan
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (77)
14%
I'm not sure (24)
4.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (177)
32.18%
I have already dropped out (11)
2%
I'm not a current university student (261)
47.45%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed