The Student Room Group

Financial: Driving Whilst At University

Hello all, hope you’re enjoying your summer.

I’m here to get some opinions in regards to driving and university. I’m from Leicester and will be moving to Birmingham this September to start my degree. I’ve been driving for a while now and I’m at the point where I need to decide whether or not I’ll be insuring the car whilst I’m away. I will NOT be taking it with me to university, as there is nowhere at my accommodation to leave it. I’ve made my own list of pros and cons;

PROS of leaving it insured;

•Premiums will continue to lower.
•Building an easy NCD.
•I can drive the car when I’m back home (however I don’t plan to come back frequently, I have a 51 week tenancy)

CONS of leaving it insured;
•Expensive.
•The money could go towards other things.
•It will be driven for less than 12 weeks a year.

These are my own thoughts towards it. But I really need some more advice. I could use the money I’ve saved already towards a holiday, or bills etc. Part of me knows it would be good to keep it insured just in case, and for discount in the future, but I also think cancelling my premium before renewal is just more cost effective for my situation. Any ideas?
Original post by TeeCup_
Hello all, hope you’re enjoying your summer.

I’m here to get some opinions in regards to driving and university. I’m from Leicester and will be moving to Birmingham this September to start my degree. I’ve been driving for a while now and I’m at the point where I need to decide whether or not I’ll be insuring the car whilst I’m away. I will NOT be taking it with me to university, as there is nowhere at my accommodation to leave it. I’ve made my own list of pros and cons;

PROS of leaving it insured;

•Premiums will continue to lower.
•Building an easy NCD.
•I can drive the car when I’m back home (however I don’t plan to come back frequently, I have a 51 week tenancy)

CONS of leaving it insured;
•Expensive.
•The money could go towards other things.
•It will be driven for less than 12 weeks a year.

These are my own thoughts towards it. But I really need some more advice. I could use the money I’ve saved already towards a holiday, or bills etc. Part of me knows it would be good to keep it insured just in case, and for discount in the future, but I also think cancelling my premium before renewal is just more cost effective for my situation. Any ideas?

Arent you just going to need the numbers?

Total cost v utility for 12 weeks +NCD

Money is useful for uni. What about your parents what do they think? I assume you have somewhere to park it?
Have you shopped around to see what the renewal premium would be?
How easily can you survive without a car?
First of all, taking it to university with me is completely out of the question, but I’ll answer yours anyway. My parents have left it up to me, rightly so as I pay for the car insurance and tax as well as fill it up. They don’t mind what I decide to with my car, it will be kept on our drive out of the way regardless. I have shopped around with quotes coming down to £600 odd, which is nicer than the £827 I pay now, this won’t matter until May when it comes to renewal since I pay annually.

Surviving without a car in Birmingham city centre is absolutely fine. The train to my current home is 38 mins, relatively cheap and the public transport links within and around the city are good enough to not need a car.

Like I said earlier, I wouldn’t take it to University with me, insured or not. It’s completely out of the question for a few reasons which is why I’m asking whether it would be worth insuring anyway, for the sake of my NCD is more what I’m thinking of

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending