The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Kidulthood

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
I watched it too last night (was supposed to be revising!!!)

I really liked it, thought it was a grimey version of skins! Thought it was a really good representation of how some teens lives are nowadays. There are stabbings, there is drug use, gun crime and violence. All those things in the film go on today, and it turns out to be a horrible vicious circle.

Thought the film depicted the nature of British youth, an eye for an eye. Violence will never end with this mentalitly, and I think this is the reason for the epidemic we have now.

I did think it was really sad at the end, touching and disturbing all in one. I nearly cried too!!! :frown:
I thought his mates turning on him after the fight with the two older guys wasn't well done. The pale guy was obviously pushing for the fight and then he just stepped in for them. Didn't really get when he stole her bag why should we leave it exposed like that, either. Thought it was some weird come on tbh.
Ad-Alta
I watched it online - very disturbing, perhaps even more so than 'Kids' (not related, but similar issues).

Can someone tell me whether it really is a true representation of inner-city youth, or whether it was 'sexed up' (no pun intended :p:) for the screen?

It's a frighteningly accurate portrayal of a lot of schools in London, and the general attitudes and manners of speech demonstrated in that film are spot-on.

A guy was killed near where i live recently because he owed someone £10.
Reply 23
It was a really good film, however i didn't think that the way sam got the girls was real..
I mean his girlfriend stayed with him because otherwise he would say she was a bad ****- wtf?!

Also, the girls laughed when the girl who commited suicide said she was a virgin..
Bateman
It was a really good film, however i didn't think that the way sam got the girls was real..
I mean his girlfriend stayed with him because otherwise he would say she was a bad ****- wtf?!

Also, the girls laughed when the girl who commited suicide said she was a virgin..

I don't think that was the whole reason though. It was deeper than that. If anything, it was like a teen version of domestic violence, as she was scared of him but was swayed by his promises. Guys like Sam do appeal on some level to many girls - which I guess is a sad part of society and desire.

The schools I have been to have not placed such an emphasis on sex - maybe because my high school was all girls. But, I have friends at more rough and ready mixed schools that do fine it shocking and funny if someone is a virgin from like year 9 onwards. Again, I think it is not a reflection on society as a whole but it does mirror the attitudes held by some.
Reply 25
nelz26
I watched it too last night (was supposed to be revising!!!)

I really liked it, thought it was a grimey version of skins! Thought it was a really good representation of how some teens lives are nowadays. There are stabbings, there is drug use, gun crime and violence. All those things in the film go on today, and it turns out to be a horrible vicious circle.

Thought the film depicted the nature of British youth, an eye for an eye. Violence will never end with this mentalitly, and I think this is the reason for the epidemic we have now.

I did think it was really sad at the end, touching and disturbing all in one. I nearly cried too!!! :frown:

Same! Even Nicholas Hault was in it, lol.

Didn't catch it from the beginning, but thought it was good.

Guessed what would happen at the end.

Noel Clarke is a really good writer IMO and the direction was good too.
Reply 26
affinity89
I don't think that was the whole reason though. It was deeper than that. If anything, it was like a teen version of domestic violence, as she was scared of him but was swayed by his promises. Guys like Sam do appeal on some level to many girls - which I guess is a sad part of society and desire.

The schools I have been to have not placed such an emphasis on sex - maybe because my high school was all girls. But, I have friends at more rough and ready mixed schools that do fine it shocking and funny if someone is a virgin from like year 9 onwards. Again, I think it is not a reflection on society as a whole but it does mirror the attitudes held by some.

I'm not a girl however if i was i wouldn't be attracted to some guy who threatened that if i broke up with him, he would spread silly roumers about me, in fact i would let him because he would look like a tool. yes people get attracted to bad boys, but what my original statement was about was that it was a little artificial and made up, however I've been to an ok mix school so maybe it's a little different elsewhere

However i don't care how rough a school is, i don't think people would;laugh at a respectable girl who doesn't want to sleep with just anyone, again maybe i don't go to a bad enough school, even though in my school girls do act like sluts and get treated like dirt and like it.

If i were that girls brother i wouldn't use a gun to kill him, i'd beat him to death. IMO boys like that are whats wrong with the youth of today, they've made it cool to be a slut and cool to carry a knife, the film itself probably scared a lot of people into carrying a knife themselves.
I saw it last night as well and it was generally a good film. The first half hour I got the impression that it was awful but it got much better. Some bits were way exaggerated like the 15 year old sleeping around for drugs (how many do this?!) and the suicide (very rare). But the girl on girl violence, pregnancy and the prick of a "top boy" is very much real from what I've seen and heard.

I'm looking forward to Adulthood :smile:
hard core sex .. full on chavs
Reply 29
shadow-wolf
I saw it last night as well and it was generally a good film. The first half hour I got the impression that it was awful but it got much better. Some bits were way exaggerated like the 15 year old sleeping around for drugs (how many do this?!) and the suicide (very rare). But the girl on girl violence, pregnancy and the prick of a "top boy" is very much real from what I've seen and heard.

I'm looking forward to Adulthood :smile:

Girls sleeping for drugs is very common.
Drug dealers get friendly with young girls, give them free gear, get them hooked, how is a young girl supposed to handle the withdrawal symptoms, and how is she supposed to pay?
Bateman
I'm not a girl however if i was i wouldn't be attracted to some guy who threatened that if i broke up with him, he would spread silly roumers about me, in fact i would let him because he would look like a tool. yes people get attracted to bad boys, but what my original statement was about was that it was a little artificial and made up, however I've been to an ok mix school so maybe it's a little different elsewhere

I've got a couple of girlfriends that only ever go for those kind of guys. They thrive on there attention. One in particular calls me up at like 4am because he is bashing her front door in as he is running from the police and she is frightened. Yet when you suggest leaving him, she belittles the idea and is then funny with me. Not all girls like that kind of guy. In fact, most probably don't. But, some do.
Reply 31
affinity89
I've got a couple of girlfriends that only ever go for those kind of guys. They thrive on there attention. One in particular calls me up at like 4am because he is bashing her front door in as he is running from the police and she is frightened. Yet when you suggest leaving him, she belittles the idea and is then funny with me. Not all girls like that kind of guy. In fact, most probably don't. But, some do.

Yeah i agree, but the films portrayal of "those kind of guys" was wrong, for example, i bet your friends don't reply " he will tell everyone i smell down there if i dump him"
i've never heard of it :s-smilie: what's it about?
Why are people criticising this film for not being a general representation of British teenagers. Fact is that this was a portrayal of an inner city school in a particularly rough area of London that Noel Clarke grew up in. This sort of thing does happen though, and it's a real tragedy.
Reply 34
Officer Dibble
Why are people criticising this film for not being a general representation of British teenagers. Fact is that this was a portrayal of an inner city school in a particularly rough area of London that Noel Clarke grew up in. This sort of thing does happen though, and it's a real tragedy.

Am i?

If you read my posts i said it was a very good film.
I also said two things weren't portrayed very well.
Reply 35
i used to like it, but its crap now.

pretty funny...that dude shags that mad kids girlfriend, throws his brother out of a window, steals his weed and chucks his used condom in a fish tank. classic!
Bateman
Am i?

If you read my posts i said it was a very good film.
I also said two things weren't portrayed very well.

Sorry I didn't mean you and I exaggerated. Some people here are saying that this sort of thing doesn't happen everywhere and that it's not a true representation of youth culture in Britain.
Reply 37
sick film...it's got serious issues in it but then it's funny as well. jay and mooney crack me up

Latest