Samiz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'm going to undergo a piece of research regarding the relationship between social media use-age, depression and anxiety. This is a simple correlational study so I'd like to add at least one co-variate, and I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas for co-variates (age isn't applicable).

Ideas I've got so far:
NotNotBatman
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Samiz)
Hi, I'm going to undergo a piece of research regarding the relationship between social media use-age, depression and anxiety. This is a simple correlational study so I'd like to add at least one co-variate, and I'm wondering if anybody has any ideas for co-variates (age isn't applicable).

Ideas I've got so far:

Note: I don't study psychology, but I understand this question from a statistical perspective.

What is the output? The only thing I can imagine is social media usage time per period of time, because it is the only one that can be described continuously, as opposed to as a factor. However from what you've said, I'm thinking you want a one way ANOVA, so a categorical factor input is suitable, but then if you choose one how are you going to find any association between social media use-age, depression and anxiety with only one response variable and 1 categorical covariate?
Interrobang
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Samiz)

Ideas I've got so far:
Moved to Study Help
Samiz
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by NotNotBatman)
Note: I don't study psychology, but I understand this question from a statistical perspective.

What is the output? The only thing I can imagine is social media usage time per period of time, because it is the only one that can be described continuously, as opposed to as a factor. However from what you've said, I'm thinking you want a one way ANOVA, so a categorical factor input is suitable, but then if you choose one how are you going to find any association between social media use-age, depression and anxiety with only one response variable and 1 categorical covariate?
I'm not fully decided on the statistical analysis yet but after doing a bit more research since my post, I'm now leaning towards either a moderation or a mediation analysis

IV: social media use-age (BSMAS scale)
DV: anxiety (GAD-7) and depressive (PHQ-9) symptoms
Possible mediators or moderators: Fear of missing out (FOMO), personality (introversion/extroversion), socio-economic status etc
Magdatrix >_<
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What about a personality variable such as narcissism or self-esteem?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (5)
9.09%
I need help researching courses (5)
9.09%
I need help with filling out the application form (3)
5.45%
I need help with my personal statement (24)
43.64%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (13)
23.64%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (2)
3.64%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (3)
5.45%

Watched Threads