Recommended Reading? Watch

FolkPixie
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi!
I'm applying to start teacher training in 2020, but I've been out of the game academically/ job wise for a few years due to family life...I'm planning on getting school experience from September when my little girl starts nursery but is there anything about pedagogy, class management/ curriculum I could be reading in the meantime that would get me up to speed/prepared?

I'll be applying for secondary history x
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by FolkPixie)
Hi!
I'm applying to start teacher training in 2020, but I've been out of the game academically/ job wise for a few years due to family life...I'm planning on getting school experience from September when my little girl starts nursery but is there anything about pedagogy, class management/ curriculum I could be reading in the meantime that would get me up to speed/prepared?

I'll be applying for secondary history x
There are loads and loads of books on general teaching out there, as well as subject specific ones. If you've got time over the next year/before you apply, I'd suggest reading as wide a range as you can, looking for a mix of practical ideas and more theoretical viewpoints. This will give you a lot to talk about at interview, as well as giving you a good base for next year.

It's hard to recommend specific things, because what works for one person doesn't always work for another. However, I have to say I found subject specific stuff the most useful!
FolkPixie
Rep:
?
(Original post by SarcAndSpark)
There are loads and loads of books on general teaching out there, as well as subject specific ones. If you've got time over the next year/before you apply, I'd suggest reading as wide a range as you can, looking for a mix of practical ideas and more theoretical viewpoints. This will give you a lot to talk about at interview, as well as giving you a good base for next year.

It's hard to recommend specific things, because what works for one person doesn't always work for another. However, I have to say I found subject specific stuff the most useful!
Thank you....what's a good starting point?
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
My uni recommended this book as a good general staring point:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Preparing-T...s%2C333&sr=8-1

It's a bit dry but it does cover a wide range of issues and I found it quite helpful.

I also found this book a very interesting read:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Truth-about...gateway&sr=8-1

If you want something that's a bit more about practical strategies, then the "lazy teacher's handbook" is full of great teaching ideas too:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lazy-Teache...s%2C189&sr=8-1

I can also recommend "boys don't try?" as an interesting read, which made me think a lot about how I treated students in my classrooms and what I rewarded:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Boys-Dont-R...gateway&sr=8-1

All of these are pretty readable as e-books and available for <£15, which isn't too bad for books of this kind.

If you're going to be teaching at secondary, then familiarizing yourself with the gcse exam spec is also worthwhile and getting a good A-level textbook is an investment worth making. For textbooks, I'd definitely recommend having a physical copy!

I hope this gives you a useful starting point!
FolkPixie
Rep:
?
Brilliant! Thank you for your advice ☺
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.77%
Excited (145)
8.86%
Worried (296)
18.08%
Terrified (370)
22.6%
Meh (150)
9.16%
Confused (36)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (224)
13.68%
Impatient (207)
12.65%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise