To what extent does British patriotism verge on racism? Watch

NexusDominus
Badges: 0
Report 11 years ago
guy above me has it spot on.......but in britian the *******s tryn it with the asians...lol(trying to sound as nonraciallyaggravated as possible)lmao!!!!!!!!!11
thebestusernameever
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Just making something clear

British=Someone who has british blood in them (Celtic/Saxon). Meaning no people from Nigeria, Pakistan or China can consider themselves truly British.
burninginme
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why is racism linked to British patriotism? I know the Labour government has brainwashed everyone into thinking any slightly proud person is an evil racist, but still. We're much, much less patriotic than the USA or Australia. Prehaps the question should be "To what extent does American patriotism verge on racism". Christ, what namby pamby liberal even wrote than question?
burninginme
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by thebestusernameever)

British=Someone who has british blood in them (Celtic/Saxon). Meaning no people from Nigeria, Pakistan or China can consider themselves truly British.
While you're comment will probably get a nagative response, I'd just like to add that Britian is one of the only countries where everyone seems to be able to be considered British regardless of their language or racial heritage. In Japan, although an immigrant can live quite happily there and have no hassle or abuse, they'll NEVER be considered Japanese, and that's the same for most countries.

I'd love to go to India or Pakistan and see if I was accepted as "one of them", even if I spoke the language and had citizenship. I think I'd always be viewed as English white man. Most countries are like that and it's not racist, I remember being in Egypt once, and walking around this Souk and there were lots of "British" people about. There was a white British guy with a Chinese girl who was presumablely British. The Moroccan shop-keeper, clearly, trying to be friendly and make conversation asked the Chinese girl where she was from, she replied "Britian". The Moroccan had a confused look on his face and said "No, where are you REALLY from?", the Chinese girl was just about to reply when the white guy got all defensive and started going on like "She's from Britian. Can't you tell by her accent?". I thought it really summed white British up.
snafle
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by thebestusernameever)

You're wrong, you know. How far back do you want to go? People of different races have been part of british life for thousands of years- I mean, the bloody romans are all immigrants. In fact, we're all immigrants from africa if you want to go right back to the beginning.

I like being british, for the history and traditions of our country. I like our culture, on the whole. I don't like being british for the small minded bigots and Daily Fail afficianados, but then, every country has ***** like them.
AnythingButChardonnay
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't really think "patriotism" and "British" sit comfortably in a sentence at all.

We're patriotic in our own quiet little way.
burninginme
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by snafle)
You're wrong, you know. How far back do you want to go? People of different races have been part of british life for thousands of years- I mean, the bloody romans are all immigrants. In fact, we're all immigrants from africa if you want to go right back to the beginning.

I like being british, for the history and traditions of our country. I like our culture, on the whole. I don't like being british for the small minded bigots and Daily Fail afficianados, but then, every country has ***** like them.
Every Nation has it's origins in other countries, who have come together to form a nationality and an ethnicity. Of course, no one true race of people is ever born in one place, but they come together and build what we have today. If people's racial origins from thousands of years ago we're really ever siginficant, there would be no nationalities to speak of, only people's origins. People don't say "Oh, my accestors came over on boats from Iceland". No, they refer to themselves as British or whatever and I don't think the case was so different back then. Why should a load of people who have had no assosciation with the original people who built up this country just come and reap the benefits of a first world society without any had in it? No, they just abandon their own ****hole and countymen. Idiots.
eulerwaswrong
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i dont think we are very patriotic as other coutnries.

However us as nations as in welsh people, scottish people and irsh people are - but i think this is more hatred of the english for the crimes they commited against us as nations in the past
~E8~
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I recently read an article on Nationalism Vs Internationalism. It was a very good article. It was on the lines of a human life from any nation is a human life. In this case, how would you justify killing someone in wars. The author also spoke about how the governments both advocate for internationalism(when it comes to trade) and also do stuffs to make people feel patriotic, recruits more people into militar every year.

In my opinion, humans tend to forget lesser differences when there is a bigger threat. An example for this would be, indians in India & pakistanis in pakistan look at each other as rivals. But when they go to UK, they call themselves "Asians". In future if we come to know there is life existing in different planet, we may stop fighting among ourselves over nations & start fighting against those aliens.

This is just my opinion, hope i dint hurt anyone's sentiments.

BTW I'm an Indian from India.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by eulerwaswrong)
i dont think we are very patriotic as other coutnries.

However us as nations as in welsh people, scottish people and irsh people are - but i think this is more hatred of the english for the crimes they commited against us as nations in the past
Lol, what Cromwell did to the Irish (and thought about them) was despicable.

But believe me, as someone who lives not too away from the borders (and has strong Scottish ancestry) the Scots gave as good as they got pre union.
burninginme
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by eulerwaswrong)

Inbred ******s from the Celtic countries are able to bang on freely about how much they hate England and the English and get away with it. Yet if an English person does the same thing, they're called racists.
Drummer23
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I don't think it does at all.

What is patriotism? It's a question that's got the wrong answers lately. Patriotism n racism are two very different things: pride in one country, descrimination against another. In taking pride, there never has to be descrimination.

It's PC gone over the top once again, and i for one, bloody hate it.
ally.pants
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My Grandad calls himself 'Cornish' and refuses to be called English!

Both sides of my family are Celtic through and through so I guess that makes us British... but I also think if you were born in a country and have lived here all your life you have a pretty good claim.

Racism that I have encountered that is based around supposed 'patriotism' tends to generate a lot from the working classes that believe people have 'stolen' their jobs, and shouldn't be able to work here as they aren't 'British'. I think patritotism is sometimes used as a cover for rasicm, where there is actually another motive for it.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by burninginme)
Inbred ******s from the Celtic countries are able to bang on freely about how much they hate England and the English and get away with it. Yet if an English person does the same thing, they're called racists. I'm not too fond of the Celts to tell the truth.
Inbred? Lovely.

Chances are you also have some Celtic blood.

Also don't forget that, although the Celts weren't the orginal inhabitants of these islands, they were here centuries before the germanic tribes that made the "English".

I hear anti-Scots comments all the time with little to no condemnation from others.
ally.pants
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Why should you be able to go about calling people inbred?!
burninginme
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Inbred? Lovely.

Chances are you also have some Celtic blood.

Also don't forget that, although the Celts weren't the orginal inhabitants of these islands, they were here centuries before the germanic tribes that made the "English".

I hear anti-Scots comments all the time with little to no condemnation from others.
I never called Celts themselves inbred people, I was refering to the people who spout their hatred for the English at any opportunity without any real knowledge of history "inbred".
snafle
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by burninginme)
Every Nation has it's origins in other countries, who have come together to form a nationality and an ethnicity. Of course, no one true race of people is ever born in one place, but they come together and build what we have today. If people's racial origins from thousands of years ago we're really ever siginficant, there would be no nationalities to speak of, only people's origins. People don't say "Oh, my accestors came over on boats from Iceland". No, they refer to themselves as British or whatever and I don't think the case was so different back then. Why should a load of people who have had no assosciation with the original people who built up this country just come and reap the benefits of a first world society without any had in it? No, they just abandon their own ****hole and countymen. Idiots.
The problem with your argument is that the majority of immigrants are hard working. That is, they move here for a better life and work hard at it. The horror stories of immigrants getting better housing that natives or whatever are mostly concoctions of the Fail.

I go into tesco's at lunchtime and see dole scrounging white *******s wandering around with their horrible children. These are the idorts. I very rarely see dole scrounging yellow/black/brown *******s.
River85
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The problem with your argument is that the majority of immigrants are hard working. That is, they move here for a better life and work hard at it. The horror stories of immigrants getting better housing that natives or whatever are mostly concoctions of the Fail.

I go into tesco's at lunchtime and see dole scrounging white *******s wandering around with their horrible children. These are the idorts. I very rarely see dole scrounging yellow/black/brown *******s.
How do you know they're claiming the dole?

The only asylum seekers I know live in poor quality inner city areas.

Compare that to some of the well built and solid council houses that you can get in the suburbs for the natives (those that aren't private yet, which is the minority).

I've yet to see either group in luxury flats.
ally.pants
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago

That would be entirely true. Immigrants are needed because of the lazy dole-scrounging attitude taken by certain people in this country who have these attitudes but are in families who haven't worked for generations.
snafle
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by River85)
How do you know they're claiming the dole?

I can guess they're claiming the dole because they're walking round tesco's in the middle of the day, loooking like they just got up. Maybe some of them work nights but I doubt it, since I see the same *******s walking round town at night.

The only asylum seekers I know live in poor quality inner city areas.
There's a difference between asylum seekers and immigrants ya know.

Compare that to some of the well built and solid council houses that you can get in the suburbs for the natives (those that aren't private yet, which is the minority).

I've yet to see either group in luxury flats.
What? Council housing isn't divied out based on race... and I never said anything about luxury flats.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (11)
6.18%
They might tell the bully (18)
10.11%
I don't think they'd understand (30)
16.85%
It might lead to more bullying (69)
38.76%
There's nothing they could do (50)
28.09%

Watched Threads