Punctured laptop screen Watch

generalebriety
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I left a drawing pin on my keyboard today (stupid, I know; the room was dark :p:) and closed the lid and went off. Came back to a small puncture in my screen. It's only a millimetre deep and isn't stopping me reading anything; what are the chances that this hole will cause further problems, though? Also, roughly how much would this cost to fix? I assume it'd have to have the whole screen replaced, but I don't know much about it. (Dell Vostro, if that helps.)

Thanks.
gumbald
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Dell would probably want about £100 for a replacement screen. If you can manage with it, do so for as long as you can. I don't see it deteriorating - have any pixels been lost?

But yeah, take a photo.
generalebriety
Rep:
?
(Original post by gumbald)
Dell would probably want about £100 for a replacement screen. If you can manage with it, do so for as long as you can. I don't see it deteriorating - have any pixels been lost?

But yeah, take a photo.
Well, the ones where the hole is, yes. :p:

No, it's not leaking. Pictures attached. It is (necessarily) blurry as the hole's so small. I suspect I might only have stabbed into and deformed the plastic of the screen and not actually punctured it entirely, which is good news.
Attached files
Mad Vlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by generalebriety)
Well, the ones where the hole is, yes. :p:

No, it's not leaking. Pictures attached. It is (necessarily) blurry as the hole's so small. I suspect I might only have stabbed into and deformed the plastic of the screen and not actually punctured it entirely, which is good news.
The pixel is still working behind the puncture, I would suggest it's merely superficial damage. Not sure what it would cost to repair though - probably just the plastic screen in front of the panel, rather than the whole LCD panel itself, would need replacing. Drop an email to your manufacturer, they may be able to furnish you with some more accurate info.
RightSaidJames
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Personally, I would just leave it; there's been no damage to the screen, evidently, and there's no reason why it would spread...
Spotty Dog
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
To be honest, I've done two lots of damage to my LCD screen; I had hot oil spit on it at one point and melt a TINY (not more than 2 or 3 pixels big) part of the plastic, and once where I got one of those stupid thunder flys stuck under the screen and it died, so I've got a black mark on my screen.

You give up noticing them after a while. It doesn't look that big, I'd leave it unless you desperatly need every pixel working perfectly (ie if you o computer art or whatever)
Philbill
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Did you know that LCD Screens are hard to manufacur ...only 55% make it and 45% have to be thrown away...Not saying that for any reason just letting you know their history
gumbald
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
If you can put up with it I would. Send the photos to Dell and see what they reckon, as Vlad says - it does look superficial but they still might take advantage of you and suggest an entirely new screen (it's not necessarily worth their while replacing just the top layer).
generalebriety
Rep:
?
Oh, I'm not really bothered by it. It looks like a particularly intrusive speck of dust and nothing more. Just hoping it won't start leaking or spread or something. Thanks for your replies.
gamer91
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
you may want to buy a phone/mp3 screen protector and cut it down to size and then stick it over to protect the hole and stop it getting worse.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (152)
59.61%
No I haven't decided yet (58)
22.75%
Yes but I might change my mind (45)
17.65%

Watched Threads