Teofilo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Not very similar to my dad in that he is very task-oriented and time managed whereas I am more laid back (or just lazy!).

We both have very short fuses, which leads to frequent clashes.
Untitled258
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My mum compairs me to my dad and says im like him, which is bad because i dont like him and think hes a bit of a ****
Metal_Gear
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think I have inherited a lot of my parents good traits.

I can be completely laid back like my dad, but when it comes to it, I have my mums ambition. They are both very intelligent, so yeah I think it's fair to say I have followed them down that route.

I don't share their tempers though, nor do I have the same perception of things.
BeesKnees
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I am NOTHING like my mother- uptight, bossy, a bit homophobic, not very maternal, technophobe. Well, aside from the fact that i'm exceptionally clean and spermophobic (that's germs, not sperm :p: ), I am nothing like her.

I am a bit like my father (from what I remember, he died a few years ago)- similar sense of humour, fairly intelligent (nowhere near as intelligent as he was though), love travelling, into gadgets and sport, sociable. Don't have his temper though, I am incredible calm and chilled out. And much much lazier and indecisive.
DisgruntledMoth
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My mother often insults me by saying "you're turning into your mother".

It works.
They're Daily Mail readers, 4x4 drivers and BNP supporters, who didn't bother with education and did okay in life. My dad is severely dyslexic and neither of them are particularly wise. They insist on dragging me and holding me down from perhaps ever achieving anything or going to university because apparently it never gets anyone anywhere.
I like to think I'm not the same.
mkeillor
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm very similar in behaviour to my father but less like my mother.

Like my father, we both resent the English, speak fluent Gaelic, attended university, enjoy basketball, admire Bobby Sands and don't take **** from anyone.

He is a great influence.
PinkMobilePhone
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I sincerely hope I'm not like my parents - my mother in particular.

I know there are certain things about me that are like my parents, but hopefully not too much.
lostdoll
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm a bit like both.

I'm a control freak like my mother. We both think the same when it comes to common sense.

Dad's more open minded and easy going, so I'm like him in that respect too. We both like most of the same genres of music. I get the (lack of) height and slimness from him too.
DamnitJanet
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm not like either! They're both work-orientated, fairly cold accountants. They're the kind of people who constantly send stuff back in resteraunts and are embarrassed to be seen going into a charity shop. I'm a lot more emotional, messy, sociable and laid-back. I also sincerely hope I'm a nicer person than my dad!
Faery_Lights
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I'm very like my Mum. Throw in my Dad's sense of humour and I'm pretty much there. I'm much more driven and ambitious than my parents though. Neither were high achievers at school but I think them pushing me and encouraging me (Not in a bad sense) made me like that so they wanted me to be unlike them in that way.

But I know I'm going to get old and just become my Mother...:ninja:
Schmokie Dragon
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
My father is very masculine in his mindset. He doesn't communicate much, he doesn't like to plan. I'm similar in some regards - I'll take the 'obvious' course of action without warning anyone because I think it is clearly the right thing to do and doesn't require explaination. This infuriates my mother no end, and leads to her rolling her eyes and saying "you and your father deserve each other", especially if my lack of communication has caused an arguement with him!

However, I'm fairly ready to communicate my thoughts and feelings, in a way that he is not. I also like to plan ahead and have everything "just so" and running like clockwork. Too much planning can stress my father out, but at the same time he is VERY good at carefully planning holidays etc, so maybe we are more similar in this regard than I think - maybe he has just learned to chill out a bit.

I am very critical, and I get that from both parents.

Mess stresses me out, even if I am prone to be untidy. I get that from my mother, and a little from my father.

My mother is good at humanities subjects, which is something I get from her. However, both my mother and father are also very good at maths. I didn't do badly at maths in school, but I'm certainly not gifted and it doesn't come naturally to me. That said, I'm pretty good at logic, which is odd. Show me numbers and I glaze over, but a little bit of property-predicate logic and I'm having a ball! Weird.

From my mother I get an inability to talk about things that have a huge emotional significance to me. I get choked up, and worried that the person I am talking to just won't get it. I also feel jealous when other people enjoy the same things I do - I have an irrational "this is my thing, go away" attitude towards music/art/literature/places that I love.

I share my parents sense of humour, as well as a lot of their music taste. From my father I get my love of 60s popular music, jazz and soul, as well as rockier stuff like The Who, ELP etc. We also like similar modern music, such Kaiser Chiefs, Scissor Sisters, Kasabian. From mother I get the more folky end of things, such as Fairport Convention and Steelye Span, as well as Led Zepplin and Kate Bush. Quite a mix! As for humour, they introduced me to The Hitch Hikers' Guide when I was a wee one, and that was that! We all enjoy Never Mind The Buzzcocks and Mock The Week together, and mother and I both have a bit of a crush on Russel Howard.

From mother I get my love of literature, philosophy and history. From father I get my interest in science, especially physics.

From mother I also get my awkwardness around other people and pseudo arrogance. We have both been told on completely seperate occasions that we have a penetrating gaze and make people feel uneasy. From my father I get a certain aloofness, and reluctance to rely on other people.

However, I am also my own person in a lot of respects, and I've made my own choices in a lot of cases. I wear thick black eyeliner, dye my hair, am saving for a tattoo (or two), listen to Muse and The Romanovs, drink far too many cocktails. I'm sure I'll calm down and stop being such a pretentious 20-something at some point.

(phew, what an epic!)
SquishyHomie
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i bloody well hope not.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.88%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.19%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.68%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.8%

Watched Threads