Question from Jan being repeated in Summer exam of same year Watch

couture_kid
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'll just post you the link to what happened:

http://www.ocr.org.uk/news/2008/item_44.html

I took that summer paper... and one question did look really familiar, but i didn't think anything of it until i read that article today.

Has this ever happened to anyone before? - makes me wish i had bothered to do the past papers!
qgujxj39
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
OCR **** up, yet again... let's set the BBC on them.
Adjective
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Reminds me of this:

http://www.wellingtongrey.net/articl...etter-aqa.html

A question from there came up in my (Edexcel) GCSE Physics exam this time last year
At least I knew what to write to get the marks!
Penguin133
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Lol, I thought this was normal :O

I have had two identical questions in two separate papers in two separate subjects so far! Both with AQA. These may have been from Jan 08, but maybe not!

Furthermore I've also had a question identical to a past paper, but asking for four and not two examples.
SamF 1990
Report 11 years ago
CPT4 resit this june had a question identical to the jan paper
RJFarmer
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Don't most questions get recycled anyway in one form or another?

just look at past papers, most questions are almost identical with questions from other papers.
cookieforyou
Report 11 years ago
I took the exam as well, luckily had revised what the question was on even though had heard it was on January's paper!
rushhour72
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
lol nuthin new, edexcel do it all the time lolz
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The AQA Computing CPT5 paper I sat last week had three (out of 8) questions that were identical to those in recent past papers - one from the January 2007 , and two from January 2006.They were worth about 17 out of the 65 marks in total.The paper didn't look to be that well proof-read either , the wording for one of the questions could have been much better.

This is just pathetic now - I thought these papers were meant to be proofread and the questions completed by scrutineers before they went to print.

I don't understand how they can mark all the scripts as normal if the questions were copy-pasted.Surely the best thing would be to tell examiners not to mark the question and lower the grade boundaries in view of that so nobody has an unfair advantage.
.matt
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
The entire AQA Chemistry Unit 6 practical paper this year was the same as the June 2004 one, right down to the values that had to be plotted on a graph. It was quite amusing.
TheRandomer
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by .matt)
The entire AQA Chemistry Unit 6 practical paper this year was the same as the June 2004 one, right down to the values that had to be plotted on a graph. It was quite amusing.
I was just about to say that :p:
It's a bit unfair if you hadn't looked at that paper before, though
Blackwater
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by TheRandomer)
I was just about to say that :p:
It's a bit unfair if you hadn't looked at that paper before, though

The only one as well...
quintsy
Badges: 15
Report 11 years ago
I must say, I too thought this was a relatively common phenomenon. There's only a limited number of questions you can ask for each module, considering the specifications don't change all that regularly, and even when they do they generally become shorter. For the main topic based subject I do, Geography, our teachers always said before the January and June modules respectively: "XYZ topics came up in June 07/January this year, so they're less likely to come up again. However, you do still need to go over them just in case."

I know there's a lot of talk of exam boards making mistakes in the media etc. at the moment (i.e. the whole OCR Music fiasco), but this seems pretty small in the grand scheme of things.
couture_kid
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
(Original post by conroe-killed-the-k8-star)
The AQA Computing CPT5 paper I sat last week had three (out of 8) questions that were identical to those in recent past papers - one from the January 2007 , and two from January 2006.They were worth about 17 out of the 65 marks in total.The paper didn't look to be that well proof-read either , the wording for one of the questions could have been much better.

This is just pathetic now - I thought these papers were meant to be proofread and the questions completed by scrutineers before they went to print.

I don't understand how they can mark all the scripts as normal if the questions were copy-pasted.Surely the best thing would be to tell examiners not to mark the question and lower the grade boundaries in view of that so nobody has an unfair advantage.
i don't understand how this mess happens too!
i thought it was just one section in the question that was the same, but i realised it was the whole 90 marks (a-e) of the question that was the same as that of Jan. In sociology you get two questions to pick... both out of 90 marks and the second question was exactly the same... even the items that you have to analyse which really is crazy and makes me wonder what the hell some of these people are getting paid for!
conroe-killed-the-k8-star
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by couture_kid)
i don't understand how this mess happens too!
i thought it was just one section in the question that was the same, but i realised it was the whole 90 marks (a-e) of the question that was the same as that of Jan. In sociology you get two questions to pick... both out of 90 marks and the second question was exactly the same... even the items that you have to analyse which really is crazy and makes me wonder what the hell some of these people are getting paid for!
This is just plain ridiculous now.I just thought it was a compulsory question worth some of the marks on the paper .Who on earth would have gone for the first question when they'd have presumably worked through the second question in class beforehand as part of their revision?

It wouldn't be fair on the students to zero their marks out and to force everyone to resit the exam so I don't know what they are going to do.They are in for a bashing I think when this goes mainstream (BBC news etc) - as if the Music and Biology problems weren't bad enough.
Interchange
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by conroe-killed-the-k8-star)
This is just plain ridiculous now.I just thought it was a compulsory question worth some of the marks on the paper .Who on earth would have gone for the first question when they'd have presumably worked through the second question in class beforehand as part of their revision?

It wouldn't be fair on the students to zero their marks out and to force everyone to resit the exam so I don't know what they are going to do.They are in for a bashing I think when this goes mainstream (BBC news etc) - as if the Music and Biology problems weren't bad enough.
What happened with Biology?
pcok
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I thought they were allowed to do that?? I think AQA seem to anyway, with psychology. They don't usually repeat a question, but have done on several occassions, otherwise you'd be able to guess what would come up (as we do anyway lol). For example in psychology for on paper questions 4 and 5 can cover 4 different topics. If two came up in Jan then it would have to be the other two that came up in June, and this would repeat every exam so you'd only have to revise 2 of the 4 questions, but of course this is not the case. Maybe t'is just OCR?
Blackwater
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by pcok)
I thought they were allowed to do that?? I think AQA seem to anyway, with psychology. They don't usually repeat a question, but have done on several occassions, otherwise you'd be able to guess what would come up (as we do anyway lol). For example in psychology for on paper questions 4 and 5 can cover 4 different topics. If two came up in Jan then it would have to be the other two that came up in June, and this would repeat every exam so you'd only have to revise 2 of the 4 questions, but of course this is not the case. Maybe t'is just OCR?
There's a difference between the same topics coming up and the exact same questions being copied and pasted word-for-word from an old paper though.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.33%
No I haven't decided yet (50)
22.22%
Yes but I might change my mind (37)
16.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed