Apprenticeship or uni? Watch

rozinaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
I'm currently on the fence between doing an apprenticeship or going to uni this year. I started a digital marketing apprenticeship last month (although the course itself doesn't start until September, so technically I'm working full time at the moment), and I'm wondering if going to uni (to study Illustration) this year is worth it.

I kind of want to experience the university life, but at the same time, I also don't want to get into loads of debt for a degree that would probably close more doors than opening them. I enjoy my job so far (although I don't do much other than uploading items to the company's website), and I don't want to loose or waste that opportunity given that it's my first job (and somehow bypassed the stage of having a lesser appealing part time job) and it's a good one, especially for an 18 year old. Part of me kind of wants to go to uni mainly to use studios, software and art supplies, as well as making contacts in the industry, but at the same time, I don't want to throw an opportunity out of the window just to get drowned in debt, and I personally wished that I applied to study Graphic Design at uni instead.

So, do I take a year out of uni to do my apprenticeship, or do I go straight to uni this year?
CE01
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Hey! I'm 18 too, just finished my A Levels, now waiting for my results. I'm working my part time job and am looking for an apprenticeship. Similarly to you, the idea of Uni is now appealing to me, however, I also would prefer to get an apprenticeship. So, now I'm looking for degree apprenticeships, I'm not sure if you're aware of them but they allow you to do an apprenticeship, but also you get your degree paid for you! I'm sure if you look into it you may find an area that you're interested in. I know that degree digital marketing apprenticeships do exist as I've looked at them myself recently. If you have any questions or want to chat about this then feel free to reply! It seems we're both in similar positions.
rozinaaa
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
(Original post by CE01)
Hey! I'm 18 too, just finished my A Levels, now waiting for my results. I'm working my part time job and am looking for an apprenticeship. Similarly to you, the idea of Uni is now appealing to me, however, I also would prefer to get an apprenticeship. So, now I'm looking for degree apprenticeships, I'm not sure if you're aware of them but they allow you to do an apprenticeship, but also you get your degree paid for you! I'm sure if you look into it you may find an area that you're interested in. I know that degree digital marketing apprenticeships do exist as I've looked at them myself recently. If you have any questions or want to chat about this then feel free to reply! It seems we're both in similar positions.
I've heard of degree apprenticeships, and whilst my training provider don't currently provide degree apprenticeships, I'll stay with them, do my level 3 apprenticeship (same level as A Levels, so I'm kind of in the same position) and hopefully plan to do a degree apprenticeship with them next year, so that way I can gain a more relevant and useful degree that is graphic design related (since I've kind of fallen out love with illustration over the past couple of months and lean towards graphic design since that seems more useful to me).

At the moment, it feels like I'm standing at a forked road, not knowing which path to take, although I'd probably go down the apprenticeship route since I've finally managed to land a job after 2 years of applying to countless jobs and not even getting a call to an interview, and since I believe that it'd help me instead of going straight to uni.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (65)
14.32%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (70)
15.42%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (87)
19.16%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (183)
40.31%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (21)
4.63%
No particular grades needed (28)
6.17%