Jemimahshaw
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I am currently studying Maths and Physics A-level with Open Study College. I am doing the fast track course so I'll be taking the exams in May/June 2020, but I'm not booked onto the exams and practical endorsement because they are in Birmingham, 150 miles from where I live. I'm wondering if anyone else has taken exams and/or practical endorsements as a private candidate and what your experience was like?

For context, I am hoping to go to a top Russel Group university, so there is a lot of pressure on me to do well in these exams and get my practical endorsement as well. The A-level exams could be spread over a whole month, so if anyone has travelled longer distances for exams, did you stay in the area for the whole exam period?

Not only is finding an exam centre stressful, but the cost is extortionate (around £2000 including practicals). It has completely stressed me out and I'm struggling to continue to study with the uncertainty of these exams.

Does anyone have any advice?
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jemimahshaw)
I am currently studying Maths and Physics A-level with Open Study College. I am doing the fast track course so I'll be taking the exams in May/June 2020, but I'm not booked onto the exams and practical endorsement because they are in Birmingham, 150 miles from where I live. I'm wondering if anyone else has taken exams and/or practical endorsements as a private candidate and what your experience was like?

For context, I am hoping to go to a top Russel Group university, so there is a lot of pressure on me to do well in these exams and get my practical endorsement as well. The A-level exams could be spread over a whole month, so if anyone has travelled longer distances for exams, did you stay in the area for the whole exam period?

Not only is finding an exam centre stressful, but the cost is extortionate (around £2000 including practicals). It has completely stressed me out and I'm struggling to continue to study with the uncertainty of these exams.

If you know what exam board it is then check the timetable isnt already out. If not might be September.
Couldnt you find a practical endorsement closer than 150miles?
Cant you find a private exam centre more local?

Tbf you chose to fast track yourself so that should be part of the reason why its more stressful.

It is hard to say without knowing the timetable as to what might be sensible.
Compost
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
The final timetable for next year is already available - have a look to see when your exams are and make a plan based on that.

You don't have to take Maths and Physics at the same centre so i'd try to find somewhere closer to home for Maths (far more centres will accept private candidates for Maths as it has no NEA/practicals) so reduce the travel time.

Look around for somewhere closer to take Physics with the practicals but there aren't many places and none will be cheap. Whereabouts are you?

Which exam board(s) are you studying?
Last edited by Compost; 2 months ago
Nint123
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
(Original post by Jemimahshaw)

I did All of a level maths alone whilst doing 3 subjects at school. It was very tough sacrificing my time for it.

I covered 2 topics each day and did all of the practice questions. Write notes always and dont slack back. I highlky recommend blazing through 2nd year ASAP and then doing all past papers of the new syllabus.

I worked my ass off , i got almost full marks on mock tests. On the real thing i barely got 50%. DO NOT buy GCP books, they do not have the best content.

Purchase these books from edexcel the blue and brown ones: amazon.co.uk/Edexcel-level-Mathematics-Textbook-Further/dp/129218339X/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_t_0?_encoding= UTF8&psc=1&refRID=YACWM87S7XRNSC EZ5BRX

Get the 2nd year stats and mechanics brown one too
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • University of Birmingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (23)
67.65%
No I haven't decided yet (5)
14.71%
Yes but I might change my mind (6)
17.65%

Watched Threads