The Student Room Group

struggling with depression

i feel like i’m going into a depressive episode and i was wondering if anyone has any tips to get through it? usually i end up stuck in my bed and my therapist always says to try fight it but it’s so difficult. my room becomes a mess too which makes me feel more overwhelmed and it feels like everything’s going wrong
Original post by Anonymous
i feel like i’m going into a depressive episode and i was wondering if anyone has any tips to get through it? usually i end up stuck in my bed and my therapist always says to try fight it but it’s so difficult. my room becomes a mess too which makes me feel more overwhelmed and it feels like everything’s going wrong

hey bro,, i’m so sorry you feel that way. honestly, you should tidy things up, and slow down. the best thing in my opinion is to keep a diary, spill out all of your thoughts it really helps. if you need anyone to talk to, let me know i can give you my contact deets
feel there is no meaning to my existence, and the amount of hate i see in the world makes me listless, i also feel a lack of identity i am always conscious of every single thought analyzing it all the time and i feel like a empty shell of a human while the rest of the world seems to be in another reality living it . who am i ? why can i not make any conversation without deep thought of what is the point and all i just mentioned
I’m sorry to hear you are feeling this way. I have gone through and sometimes still go through what you are going through.

I reached out and spoke to my doctor about my feelings because it was hard to speak to my parents about this sensitive topic. Is this something you have considered?

Hope you’re okay and let me know if you need anything else.

X
Original post by CoolCavy
Please stop asking people this, discussion of suicide is not permitted on tsr and by replying to you it means their thread / post has to be removed. It is also intrusive and not helpful to be asking.

Sorry, I delete it
Reply 5
Original post by Fermion.
I’m sorry to hear you are feeling this way. I have gone through and sometimes still go through what you are going through.

I reached out and spoke to my doctor about my feelings because it was hard to speak to my parents about this sensitive topic. Is this something you have considered?

X

i’m sorry for the late reply. i see a counsellor at school but because it’s the summer holidays i haven’t seen her and won’t until september which i guess is making things a bit harder. my parents know i’m struggling as we’ve been to the doctors multiple times but they’re not great at knowing what to do about it so tend to ignore it.

thank you sm for replying :smile:
start meditating
Reply 7
Original post by indiequeen
hey bro,, i’m so sorry you feel that way. honestly, you should tidy things up, and slow down. the best thing in my opinion is to keep a diary, spill out all of your thoughts it really helps. if you need anyone to talk to, let me know i can give you my contact deets

hey! sometimes it gets difficult to keep a diary for me but on extremely bad days i force myself out of bed to write around a page on what’s going through my mind at that moment so i can read it back when in a better state and logically sort through what i feel. my therapist says one of my strengths is returning to logic when things go bad which helps me get through the situation and sometimes helps with anxiety.

also talking to someone about all this sounds great :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by Elronds45
feel there is no meaning to my existence, and the amount of hate i see in the world makes me listless, i also feel a lack of identity i am always conscious of every single thought analyzing it all the time and i feel like a empty shell of a human while the rest of the world seems to be in another reality living it . who am i ? why can i not make any conversation without deep thought of what is the point and all i just mentioned

hey if you ever need someone to talk to i’m here :smile: i understand how you’re feeling
Reply 9
Original post by angelike1
start meditating

i currently do meditate when things get too much and sometimes it helps but sometimes i feel way too overwhelmed and can’t concentrate on one thing. are there any guided meditations you recommend bc i find those the best for me
hey babes. for me the first thing i did was, go to gp but i won’t bang on about anti depressants cause it’s not everyone’s cup of tea and should be last resort as it has serious side effects. to me, is just sleep and you’ll feel better when you wake up. personally, for me it’s sleep, anti d’s or just doing anything that i enjoy and that is staying comfy in my bed watching movies
Original post by Fermion.

X

and did the doctor do anything ? apart from sending you away?
i currently do meditate when things get too much and sometimes it helps but sometimes i feel way too overwhelmed and can’t concentrate on one thing. are there any guided meditations you recommend bc i find those the best for me

if you have a phone - download headspace - they have like 10 free guided meditations there

it's probably the most underrated habit you can do - there is so much evidence that proves it can alleviate poor mental health - you're brain will literally change its structure and composition. if youre doing it already its great - just try and make it a daily habit even if its just 5 mins a day

also try and stay active - maybe walking/jogging 20 mins a day (or equivalent) - also tons of evidence to show it helps alleviate depression - it helps release endorphins, BDNF, regulates dopamine etc, basically all the good stuff iirc

When someone has depression , motivation is very low.
I strongly recommed starting with cleaning your room first even if you feel like not doing it, just do it. Find a way for intense exercise such as kickboxing , look into healthy eating. All these will lift your mood. Some people find Jordan Peterson`s videos on YouTube really inspirational.
Do you have any siblings you could talk to this about?

-Get Up
-Put on upbeat music
-Clean your room
-Take a break-eat something healthy
-Meditate/Exercise

Those are just the first steps.Do you know why you are feeling depressed and how it started?Everything you do is in your control.Fix the things you can control and focus on the things you can't later.Try to find a positive in your situation regardless of whatever it is.You can do this.Talk to friends about how you are feeling.
I understand sometimes things seem like they are going really bad but listen it always gets better.Be positive and believe in yourself.Make it like a game.It's bad?Then bring it on because you are going to be ready to face it head on.

Quick Reply

Latest