Living from home at uni Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Help, im living at home and not in halls.
How can I make friends?
Also what's the best way to make friends on your first day/lecture? I dont want to be sat in a lecture alone lol x
SuperHuman98
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Societies are the best way to make friends
mnot
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
How can I make friends?
Also what's the best way to make friends on your first day/lecture? I dont want to be sat in a lecture alone lol x
sit next to someone and say hey.

it's an amazing trick that helps people make friends
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by mnot)
sit next to someone and say hey.

it's an amazing trick that helps people make friends
lol. thANKS
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
lol. thANKS
all seriousness, everyone is nervous about this stuff, but Uni is very easy to make friends (especially in freshers week) just gotta say hello to a couple people.
University of Bradford
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How can I make friends?
Hey!

I think joining a club or society will be a fun way to meet new people, and because you'll have a shared interest in something it should make conversation much easier :thumbsup:

I have a blog post from a student who lives at home, he shares some great tips on how to meet new people when you don't live in student accommodation:

Studying from home- a rarely mentioned student: https://bit.ly/2MDhvWZ

Your tutor might suggest an ice breaker activity on your first day, so everyone is introduced to one another. I think it's important to remember that everyone is in the same boat and is hoping someone will talk to them, so have a smile on your face and say hi to everyone! You could ask them how they are, if they're looking forward to university life, if they're interested in joining a club or society

Good luck

Becky
GeekKat
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Take advantage of messenger groups. You might have one for your subject, which was invaluable for me making friends on my course, as well as society specific ones - as everyone else has said, join societies! Make sure to show up to the subject activities during freshers week, and be welcoming and friendly to everyone.

Heck, one of my closest uni friends I made just by assuming I'd already met her when we came into one of our first lectures and being like 'yes, friend!' (clue: I had not actually met her before that day, but we were just happy to have friendship), so that could work!
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How can I make friends?
you knew what you were letting yourself in for when you made that decision. you need to just focus on your studies until graduation
hallamstudents
Rep:
?
Report 5 days ago
Societies are a good idea to make friends.

Living at home can be a lot harder, but, don't worry, if you make an effort with people on your course, it should go okay. Make an effort. Everyone is in the same boat as you, really.

Hope this helps!
Joshua
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads