Scorpio's Angel
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Soo I'm applying to university this year, and I really want to get into drug development in the future, like creating drugs and treatments for diseases. However, when I look both courses up, they seem rather similar, with biochemistry being involved in biomedical science. Which degree would give me a higher chance of working in the drug development industry? Any answer helps and thank you!
Shhhhh!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
A Pharmacology degree would be a good option.

e.g.https://www.southampton.ac.uk/biosci...SAAEgI6FPD_BwE
Last edited by Shhhhh!; 1 year ago
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Scorpio's Angel)
Soo I'm applying to university this year, and I really want to get into drug development in the future, like creating drugs and treatments for diseases. However, when I look both courses up, they seem rather similar, with biochemistry being involved in biomedical science. Which degree would give me a higher chance of working in the drug development industry? Any answer helps and thank you!
yeah, neither. agree with the other poster, pharmacology is the degree you are looking for. you'll need the dedication to go to PhD level though.
Scorpio's Angel
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
yeah, neither. agree with the other poster, pharmacology is the degree you are looking for. you'll need the dedication to go to PhD level though.
I've looked into that though, and isn't that more to do with the biological testing of the drugs? i was more looking into the development. There is a course in glasgow that im looking at the does biochemistry and pharamacology though.
Scorpio's Angel
Rep:
?
(Original post by A Rolling Stone)
Oh.. yeah fully looking into it I kind of see where you're coming from
Scorpio's Angel
Rep:
?
(Original post by Shhhhh!)
A Pharmacology degree would be a good option.

e.g.https://www.southampton.ac.uk/biosci...SAAEgI6FPD_BwE
Thank you! I'll be sure to look into it
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
It actually makes no difference what undergrad degree you do. Your PhD and research experience will determine what sort of job you end up doing. So for the moment pick a degree that interests you, complete it and go from there.
Shhhhh!
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I've looked into that though, and isn't that more to do with the biological testing of the drugs? i was more looking into the development. There is a course in glasgow that im looking at the does biochemistry and pharamacology though.
If you do a Pharmacology degree part of it will be chemistry, biochemistry, physiology etc. It depends what you mean by "biological testing of drugs" - that's definitely a part of it but only a part (and that's necessary for drug development. I have a Pharmacology degree and have been working in drug development for a good few years (you will be horrified if I tell you how many).
A Rolling Stone
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
pharmacology is drug development tbh. google phases and pre-phases of clinical trials and that forms the basis of the pharmacology field
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (63)
15.11%
I'm not sure (14)
3.36%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (141)
33.81%
I have already dropped out (6)
1.44%
I'm not a current university student (193)
46.28%

Watched Threads