Have my First Driving lesson today- very happy but also a few question. Watch

jonnielovely
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I just have my first driving lesson today! Very happy, do some eyesight checks, document checked and learning DSSSM, POM and MSM things. Then driving on country roads at 40mph and changed some gears! However I still want ask a few questions? I want some more experience drivers to give me some insight how to cope with some issues. 1- When you are going to park the car, after you look the middle mirror and left mirror and did signaling , do you press clutch first or brake first, then handbrake and neutral . 2- How do you judge the distance between the car and the kerb, my instructor shows me to use the right wiper tips to judge the distance, are there any more tips available? 3- When driving on the road, the instructor says I am too close to the center line and may hit other cars, how to overcome it? I am learning in a Vauxhall Astra though. Thanks in advance!
tobymogg15
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have 25 hours worth of experience so

1) Remember this acronym. (MSPSL) this means when you want to park check your MIRRORS then SIGNAL get the car in POSITION then brake when you get the SPEED around 10 mph push the clutch in and brake to a stop. as you stop LOOK around for pedestrians. Once you pratice doing this it gets alot easier.

2) When judging the distance use the rear wiper tips to line up with the kerb then raise your head up and look in the left wing mirror and you should be able to see the Kerb and wheel. Steer until your at a good distance then if you need to drive forward a bit until your lined up.

3) I was doing this alot when I was learning but as your driving look at the road and stay in the middle. Use your rear mirrors to judge the distance between the centre line. As you do lessons it gets easier. Dont worry its only your first lesson. You have done alot more then what I did in my first lesson thats for sure haha. Make sure your 1 metre away and you will be fine.
catbeaver09
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Sounds like you had a great first lesson!

1 - You should push the clutch in before the brake when parking.
2 - I find it easier to point my left wing mirror down slightly more than I need it. This means I can see more how much room I have between the kerb and the car.
3 - I was always taught to seat myself in the middle of your lane. Most roads have a darker line down the centre of each lane. Put yourself (the drive) above that line. This means your wheels are in the correct place and you arent too far over one side or the other.

Don't worry, all of these things will become easier with time.
Good luck!

(Original post by jonnielovely)
I just have my first driving lesson today! Very happy, do some eyesight checks, document checked and learning DSSSM, POM and MSM things. Then driving on country roads at 40mph and changed some gears! However I still want ask a few questions? I want some more experience drivers to give me some insight how to cope with some issues. 1- When you are going to park the car, after you look the middle mirror and left mirror and did signaling , do you press clutch first or brake first, then handbrake and neutral . 2- How do you judge the distance between the car and the kerb, my instructor shows me to use the right wiper tips to judge the distance, are there any more tips available? 3- When driving on the road, the instructor says I am too close to the center line and may hit other cars, how to overcome it? I am learning in a Vauxhall Astra though. Thanks in advance
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
16.75%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (29)
14.29%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (43)
21.18%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (74)
36.45%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (11)
5.42%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.91%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise