fathomsss
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 months ago
I’m currently in the process of choosing my A-levels and I’d really like to get some advice from people who do English Literature.

Obviously I’m aware that it is a lot harder than at GCSE at A-level, so I’m very wary of taking it, however I really enjoy the subject, loved it at GCSE, and enjoy reading.

Overall it sounds like the A-level I’d most want to take, however I only achieved a 6 in my mocks and most likely the same in the real thing because I didn’t revise (I didn’t revise for any of my GCSEs because a lot of people told me that they don’t matter in comparison to A-level).

Also it would be OCR Lit. Could anyone provide me with details on the exam board and if it is good because I know most schools favour AQA.

Thanks
13kaniae
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I have just completed the first year of English Literature (I did AQA so I'm not sure of the difference).

During GCSEs I never wanted to be in an English classroom again! But here I am. I pretty much failed all of my GCSEs besides 5, which were the ones I needed to get into sixth form - thank God! I got a 5 in English Language and Literature, a 54 in Combined Science (Foundation), and a 5 in Maths (Foundation). I think obviouy the better the grade, the easier it will be - but I'm not exactly finding it difficult. If it comes naturally to you then you will be wrong, I mean don't get me wrong there has definitely been struggles along the way - but all being well I will open my AS results with at least a D (fingers crossed!!)

The one thing I will say, this might depend as I'm unsure of OCR, check how much coursework is involved. I didn't actually realise that there would be coursework involved in English until 2/3 weeks ago... If there is try and ensure that you aren't doing other subjects which solely rely on coursework too, otherwise it can really stress you out - and that's not how anyone wants you to feel! Before Christmas I have so much coursework to be completed and handed in; 1 unit of health and social, 1 unit of science, the English coursework, my EPQ, and I will have 2 exams to revise for in the January too, as well as applying for uni - writing personal statements and everything! So be aware of how overwhelming it can be at times.

Make sure you use your frees wisely! They are there for a reason; so you have no/little work to complete at home. As tempting as it can be to just hang out with your friends and relax, in the long run it just isn't worth it.

Sorry for going off topic slightly! Hope this kind of answered you question.

Good luck with your results! Make sure that you are doing subjects that you really want to do too! - not like me only doing 1 subject that I actually wanted to do 😬🙈
fathomsss
Rep:
?
(Original post by 13kaniae)
I have just completed the first year of English Literature (I did AQA so I'm not sure of the difference).

During GCSEs I never wanted to be in an English classroom again! But here I am. I pretty much failed all of my GCSEs besides 5, which were the ones I needed to get into sixth form - thank God! I got a 5 in English Language and Literature, a 54 in Combined Science (Foundation), and a 5 in Maths (Foundation). I think obviouy the better the grade, the easier it will be - but I'm not exactly finding it difficult. If it comes naturally to you then you will be wrong, I mean don't get me wrong there has definitely been struggles along the way - but all being well I will open my AS results with at least a D (fingers crossed!!)

The one thing I will say, this might depend as I'm unsure of OCR, check how much coursework is involved. I didn't actually realise that there would be coursework involved in English until 2/3 weeks ago... If there is try and ensure that you aren't doing other subjects which solely rely on coursework too, otherwise it can really stress you out - and that's not how anyone wants you to feel! Before Christmas I have so much coursework to be completed and handed in; 1 unit of health and social, 1 unit of science, the English coursework, my EPQ, and I will have 2 exams to revise for in the January too, as well as applying for uni - writing personal statements and everything! So be aware of how overwhelming it can be at times.

Make sure you use your frees wisely! They are there for a reason; so you have no/little work to complete at home. As tempting as it can be to just hang out with your friends and relax, in the long run it just isn't worth it.

Sorry for going off topic slightly! Hope this kind of answered you question.

Good luck with your results! Make sure that you are doing subjects that you really want to do too! - not like me only doing 1 subject that I actually wanted to do 😬🙈
haha thanks for the reply this was really helpful
shannon_dc
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 2 months ago
I just completed English Literature A Level but with Edexcel and I’m going to do it at university. I can honestly say that this has been the subject that has been quite eye opening as we discussed lots of topics like feminism, racism and class and it really challenges your perception of issues. I also got a 6 at GCSE and was a little disappointed at first but honestly don’t let it define you because if you genuinely enjoy the subject you will do well. However, I have heard OCR is much more difficult then the other exam boards. Another thing to think about I would say is how good the English department at your school is because A Levels are completely different from GCSE and having good teachers that are able to support you is really important at A Level.
fathomsss
Rep:
?
(Original post by shannon_dc)
I just completed English Literature A Level but with Edexcel and I’m going to do it at university. I can honestly say that this has been the subject that has been quite eye opening as we discussed lots of topics like feminism, racism and class and it really challenges your perception of issues. I also got a 6 at GCSE and was a little disappointed at first but honestly don’t let it define you because if you genuinely enjoy the subject you will do well. However, I have heard OCR is much more difficult then the other exam boards. Another thing to think about I would say is how good the English department at your school is because A Levels are completely different from GCSE and having good teachers that are able to support you is really important at A Level.
Aaahhhhh i’ve also heard that OCR is harder which scared me because everything else about the college I want to go to is amazing. They also have a great English department which is always good so i suppose if i weigh it up it could be fine.
thanks for the advice
fathomsss
Rep:
?
bb
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Bristol
    Undergraduate Open Afternoon Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Exeter
    Undergraduate Open Day - Penryn Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19
  • University of Nottingham
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 23 Oct '19

Have you made up your mind on your five uni choices?

Yes I know where I'm applying (138)
61.61%
No I haven't decided yet (50)
22.32%
Yes but I might change my mind (36)
16.07%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed