Driving Watch

Ramz781
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Anyone whose taken the driving test how far do they ask you for the number plate? I know its 20 meters (5 car length) but have they asked anyone less than that like 4 car lengths
MusicGamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I would imagine not to be honest, but I don't know.
On my test I was actually asked to read one from further away than 20 metres, and then when I couldn't read it they moved me closer to the actual distance.
Soteria3
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do you have weak eye sight?
Ramz781
Rep:
?
(Original post by Soteria3)
(Original post by MusicGamer)
I would imagine not to be honest, but I don't know.
On my test I was actually asked to read one from further away than 20 metres, and then when I couldn't read it they moved me closer to the actual distance.
Do you wear glasses?
MusicGamer
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Ramz781)
Do you wear glasses?
Yes
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
Ramz781
Rep:
?
(Original post by Soteria3)
Yes I wear glasses but I can see from 4-5 car lengths. I'm just wondering if they ask less sometimes
classic3296
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Anyone whose taken the driving test how far do they ask you for the number plate? I know its 20 meters (5 car length) but have they asked anyone less than that like 4 car lengths
On my test the examiner took me outside the test centre and pointed to a car about 40m away and said read that number. When I failed that one he turned around and found one a bit closer but still around 35m away. I still couldn’t read that
Then he brought me inside and sent someone to go measure 20.5m from one of the cars they had parked in the lot out front. I subsequently failed that cos I misread an O as a D. If you are confident at the legal limit you’ll be fine and if jot go out and measure 20.5m from cars and check to see if you can read them. Alternatively you can rock up 20 minutes early and memorise the plates of cars in the lot that aren’t being moved (not instructor cars) and hope they measure 20m off one of those
Also when they measured the distance he had me write ,what I thought the plate was, down on a piece of paper which was sent off to the dvla when my license was revoked.
Ramz781
Rep:
?
(Original post by classic3296)
On my test the examiner took me outside the test centre and pointed to a car about 40m away and said read that number. When I failed that one he turned around and found one a bit closer but still around 35m away. I still couldn’t read that
Then he brought me inside and sent someone to go measure 20.5m from one of the cars they had parked in the lot out front. I subsequently failed that cos I misread an O as a D. If you are confident at the legal limit you’ll be fine and if jot go out and measure 20.5m from cars and check to see if you can read them. Alternatively you can rock up 20 minutes early and memorise the plates of cars in the lot that aren’t being moved (not instructor cars) and hope they measure 20m off one of those
Also when they measured the distance he had me write ,what I thought the plate was, down on a piece of paper which was sent off to the dvla when my license was revoked.
Do they ask you to read a number plate from outside the test centre car park? Do you stand inside the car park or go outside?
Cleverboy1991
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Do they ask you to read a number plate from outside the test centre car park? Do you stand inside the car park or go outside?
Howdy
Yes on my driving test I was taken to the car park outside and was asked to read the number plate from a car approximately 20 metres away
Ramz781
Rep:
?
(Original post by classic3296)
Also its 20m they can ask u to read the number plate. Isn't 40m too much especially for people who wear glasses 😶
classic3296
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
The first 2 tries were out on the road and the last measured try was inside the test centre parking lot.
When you first get asked the instructor walks you outside of the parking lot and points to a car and says read that plate.

Granted this depends on where your test centre is and if there are any cars parked outside. If not, they will just ask you to read one from inside the parking lot
classic3296
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Also its 20m they can ask u to read the number plate. Isn't 40m too much especially for people who wear glasses 😶
The legal minimum is 20m for old style plates and 20.5m for new style plates. I think it is but I suppose the next test I go for I'll try and get the examiner to start at 20m instead of 40 to get a better chance of passing the eyesight test.

If you do fail it isn't the end of the world but it does ****ing suck. Your theory is still valid but you have to send your licence back in and reapply. I'm waiting for mine now after being revoked on the 2nd July and I haven't heard anything from the dvla yet so I expect I won't get my license back until next year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.64%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
38.07%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.5%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.5%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise