The Student Room Group

Student Housing - can I get out of my tenancy?

This might be a long one... but I'm really stuck here. I can't ask for legal advice for a few days and I can't stand not knowing!

So for the last year I've been living with 4 other people. We all recently moved out, but me and one other tenant will be moving back in for another year. We moved out because the tenancy ended and the Landlord asked us to. Since we moved out my Landlord has been to the house and is claiming all 5 of our deposits together for different damages.

Now, we are refuting these claims entirely through the DPS. However the deal with the Landlord was that my deposit from the last year was to be carried forwards. I am not sure if I can find any emails to support this but he put it forwards with his agents and everything. Now he wants it back and I assume for me to give him another deposit entirely if we cant refute his charges!

My question is; can I get out of my tenancy for next year? It doesn't start until the 24th August, and I technically haven't paid a deposit as it is being held by the Deposit Scheme. We submitted guarantor information but heard nothing back from it. Is there any loophole I can get out of this? The landlord really a nasty piece of work and I am meant to be lead tenant for next year... I didn't know he was so horrible until way after I signed next years tenancy.

To be fair, he might not even want me there anymore as I am leading the fight against him taking our deposits!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
You could ask him and he may not want you. But if he does want you and you've signed a contract (and tbh it's probably too late to find another tenant) you don't have any rights to back out of it.
Original post by catbeaver09
This might be a long one... but I'm really stuck here. I can't ask for legal advice for a few days and I can't stand not knowing!

So for the last year I've been living with 4 other people. We all recently moved out, but me and one other tenant will be moving back in for another year. We moved out because the tenancy ended and the Landlord asked us to. Since we moved out my Landlord has been to the house and is claiming all 5 of our deposits together for different damages.

Now, we are refuting these claims entirely through the DPS. However the deal with the Landlord was that my deposit from the last year was to be carried forwards. I am not sure if I can find any emails to support this but he put it forwards with his agents and everything. Now he wants it back and I assume for me to give him another deposit entirely if we cant refute his charges!

My question is; can I get out of my tenancy for next year? It doesn't start until the 24th August, and I technically haven't paid a deposit as it is being held by the Deposit Scheme. We submitted guarantor information but heard nothing back from it. Is there any loophole I can get out of this? The landlord really a nasty piece of work and I am meant to be lead tenant for next year... I didn't know he was so horrible until way after I signed next years tenancy.

To be fair, he might not even want me there anymore as I am leading the fight against him taking our deposits!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Given that you've already signed a tenancy agreement for the next year, technically you are now tied in. The landlord may agree to release you, but given that he's not being cooperative now, I doubt that this is a viable hope.

Quick Reply

Latest