Sqa Higher Essay Topics Watch

Mollyanne2003
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi, I’ve just started thinking about my higher English creative writing piece and I was wondering if there are any topics which are banned or discouraged? I currently have a piece which is in the beginning stages, which is centered heavily around eating disorders and mental health, and has some hits in-depth descriptions etc (written by someone who has actually gone through it all so lots of emotions and thoughts in this piece) I still find it hard to talk about and not many people know, and I don’t want to submit a piece to a teacher for them to turn around and say either I can’t do this topic after sharing it (obviously unite a personal piece!)
Quick-use
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Mollyanne2003)
Hi, I’ve just started thinking about my higher English creative writing piece and I was wondering if there are any topics which are banned or discouraged? I currently have a piece which is in the beginning stages, which is centered heavily around eating disorders and mental health, and has some hits in-depth descriptions etc (written by someone who has actually gone through it all so lots of emotions and thoughts in this piece) I still find it hard to talk about and not many people know, and I don’t want to submit a piece to a teacher for them to turn around and say either I can’t do this topic after sharing it (obviously unite a personal piece!)
That sounds perfectly fine to me. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. It sounds like it'd be a great piece of creating writing. I actually wrote mine about infedelity and it had some sexual scenes... I got full marks, so I'm very happy!

Once you've finished writting it, feel free to send it to me (assuming you're OK with sharing something so personal) if you'd like someone to assuage your fears. :fluffy:
Ellie121103Glen
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
That sounds perfectly fine to me. You have absolutely nothing to worry about. It sounds like it'd be a great piece of creating writing. I actually wrote mine about infedelity and it had some sexual scenes... I got full marks, so I'm very happy!

Once you've finished writting it, feel free to send it to me (assuming you're OK with sharing something so personal) if you'd like someone to assuage your fears. :fluffy:
Thank you! I was a bit worried about submitting my piece into my teacher, as they want a completed first draft when we go back to school hence why I was getting anxious around it! Once I’m done I can send a copy to you if you want. Have you already done your highers, or are you judging starting them like me?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Ellie121103Glen)
Thank you! I was a bit worried about submitting my piece into my teacher, as they want a completed first draft when we go back to school hence why I was getting anxious around it! Once I’m done I can send a copy to you if you want. Have you already done your highers, or are you judging starting them like me?
You're more than welcome to send yours to me once you've finished.

I've finished my Highers, Advanced Highers and undergraduate degree. :lol: About to start my Master's course!
fucthesqa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
I got 15/30 in my English portfolio this year .
Thought my essays were decent and my teacher said I’d get like 24/30.
Is this the same case for anyone else ?
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by fucthesqa)
I got 15/30 in my English portfolio this year .
Thought my essays were decent and my teacher said I’d get like 24/30.
Is this the same case for anyone else ?
Oh wow. Have you spoken to your teacher about this? I wonder if you could get it remarked.

I also wonder if they received both your folio pieces...
fucthesqa
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by Quick-use)
Oh wow. Have you spoken to your teacher about this? I wonder if you could get it remarked.

I also wonder if they received both your folio pieces...
Yeah I have but she started to backtrack and say my reflective piece didn’t flow as well as it could’ve so I don’t know just confused.
Yeah same I don’t know how I only got 15/30, I spent quite a bit of time making them both better and that’s a shocking score. I still got an A though so I doubt my school would allow me to get a remark or if there’s even a point.
Quick-use
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
(Original post by fucthesqa)
Yeah I have but she started to backtrack and say my reflective piece didn’t flow as well as it could’ve so I don’t know just confused.
Yeah same I don’t know how I only got 15/30, I spent quite a bit of time making them both better and that’s a shocking score. I still got an A though so I doubt my school would allow me to get a remark or if there’s even a point.
Excellent work on the A.

If you'd really like, I'm more than happy to have a read of your pieces and tell you what I think. Of course, I'm not an examiner so I wouldn't take my word as gospel. That said, I've done both Higher and AH English and have tutored plenty of students on both courses, so I generally have a good idea.

Did you get an A1 or an A2? I guess you could get a remark to get yourself bumped up to an A1... Moreover, those conducting remarks won't have an idea of your previous marks, so you never know - you could bump up by a lot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (16)
16.84%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (13)
13.68%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (23)
24.21%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (36)
37.89%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (1)
1.05%
No particular grades needed (6)
6.32%