Flashsav
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 6 months ago
Hello, I’m planning on going uni next year for computer science and wondering weather having dual monitor and a laptop would be a bit of over kill

I have a budget of £3000 so price isn’t an issue

I have 4 options

1 just a laptop
2 just a desktop pc
3 laptop and desktop pc
4 dual monitor and desktop pc

Thanks for any help in advance !
bigboateng_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
For the course alone yeah its overkill. But you definitely want something portable so need to get a laptop, Ill recommend mac book pro base specs, just get 16gb ram upgrade. As most storage will be cloud (notion, drive, dropbox) + github. If you are into gaming you can probs get a gaming PC as well if not dont. The graphics card might actually come in use if you end up doing any ML (atleast thats the lie to convince yourself to get a PC). 2x Dual monitors Dell UltraSharp U2715H is good too.

Again all of this is overkill but I like my gear so thats what I had throughout uni and even now at work.
Flashsav
Rep:
?
(Original post by bigboateng_)
For the course alone yeah its overkill. But you definitely want something portable so need to get a laptop, Ill recommend mac book pro base specs, just get 16gb ram upgrade. As most storage will be cloud (notion, drive, dropbox) + github. If you are into gaming you can probs get a gaming PC as well if not dont. The graphics card might actually come in use if you end up doing any ML (atleast thats the lie to convince yourself to get a PC). 2x Dual monitors Dell UltraSharp U2715H is good too.

Again all of this is overkill but I like my gear so thats what I had throughout uni and even now at work.
Hey thanks for much for reply

Yeah I was always considering getting a MacBook. I was always thinking of bringing a PS4 to uni, I’m not much of a gamer but it’s something to do every once in a while, so should I buy a monitor for that ?

Yh funnily enough it is machine learning that I’m doing, I’m doing joint degree in maths and computer science.

Would you recommend a dual monitor or a curved ultra wide One?
bigboateng_
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
(Original post by Flashsav)

Yeah I was always considering getting a MacBook. I was always thinking of bringing a PS4 to uni, I’m not much of a gamer but it’s something to do every once in a while, so should I buy a monitor for that ?

Yh funnily enough it is machine learning that I’m doing, I’m doing joint degree in maths and computer science.

Personally I prefer dual monitors, multi tasking is easier. On ultrawide you have to get some software and they're not that good compared to seperate monitors. And I do gaming which i prefer non ultra wide screens.
Paolo3100
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago

highly recommend you dont buy a macbook because FOR THE SAME PRICE you could get a way better laptop. Laptops Direct is a store and they also have an online website for laptops, check it out I highly recommend it.
Not buying a macbook will also allow you to game on a laptop with a proper gaming graphics card.
Flashsav
Rep:
?
(Original post by Paolo3100)
highly recommend you dont buy a macbook because FOR THE SAME PRICE you could get a way better laptop. Laptops Direct is a store and they also have an online website for laptops, check it out I highly recommend it.
Not buying a macbook will also allow you to game on a laptop with a proper gaming graphics card.
Thanks for the response, I’m not really much into gaming but do you have any recommendations for laptops that are especially good for coding
Paolo3100
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 6 months ago
Thanks for the response, I’m not really much into gaming but do you have any recommendations for laptops that are especially good for coding
This will last at least 4 years : https://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/msi-...64/version.asp

The extra ram will give you a system boost if you ever decide to hook your laptop to a montitor as a second screen.
Last edited by Paolo3100; 6 months ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Get into Teaching in South Yorkshire Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • The University of Law
    Solicitor Series: Assessing Trainee Skills – LPC, GDL and MA Law - London Moorgate campus Postgraduate
    Wed, 26 Feb '20
  • University of East Anglia
    PGCE Open day Postgraduate
    Sat, 29 Feb '20

People at uni: do initiations (like heavy drinking) put you off joining sports societies?

Yes (440)
67.28%
No (214)
32.72%

Watched Threads