The Student Room Group

Unconditional offer, but only 51 credits out of 60

So, I have an extremely confusing situation going on right now.

My firm choice has offered me an unconditional place at university, I was granted more time to complete my assignments on my access course due to the death of a parent and a letter from my psychiatrist deeming that my mental state was not at the best during college to finish my assignments.

My extension runs out at 12pm today, but if I don't achieve the full 60 credits of my diploma and only have 51, will I still have a place at university? I will still be awarded the units I have passed on a certificate, just not a full diploma. The certificate will also what I studied at what level.
I got lazy and left it to last minute and am serious struggling to find the motivation to finish the rest of this work.

The website of my university states that an unconditional offer is: Unconditional you have fulfilled all the entry requirements of your course, and your place at university is confirmed.

UCAS acceptance letter is telling me: Congratulations! Your place at Coventry University to study Sociology, L300 has been confirmed. Subject to you meeting any outstanding non-academic conditions* you’ll begin the course on 16 September 2019 with a point of entry 1.
This letter is official proof of your place you may wish to print it to keep for your records.

When you accepted the offer of a place on this course, a contract was made between you and your chosen university or college.

So, can I just leave this ****? I would really love to call the university and ask about this since my situation is so unique as an access student but I was wondering if by any miracle someone here could give me some peace of mind now. Also my 300 quid deposit I paid for halls is on the line and if I don't go Coventry I won't get it back, yikes.

Thanks!
K.
An unconditional offer means you already have the grades that meet the entry requirements and you don’t need to do anything further. However it’s entirely up to the university so I would contact them and ask.
Aren't the last 9 credits unmarked? You presumably can bang them out rather easily.

Your L3 might have some bearing on future employment, so it's probably sensible that you complete them. Even if at a pass grade; you could even submit something crap now and then be forced to resubmit a proper version. Or you might be able to submit after this deadline, and be subject to a pass mark?

Unconditional means they don't care about your grades.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Notoriety
Aren't the last 9 credits unmarked? You presumably can bang them out rather easily.

Your L3 might have some bearing on future employment, so it's probably sensible that you complete them. Even if at a pass grade; you could even submit something crap now and then be forced to resubmit a proper version. Or you might be able to submit after this deadline, and be subject to a pass mark?

Unconditional means they don't care about your grades.

I have an Extended Project to complete which is worth 6 credits, not unmarked, Discursive writing which is work 3 L3 credits (unmarked), so I'm conflicted if I should just kick myself up the arse get this done, I won't bother if I don't need to. I already have English and Math's GCSE's at A and A*.

So unconditional means I need to achieve the full diploma, even if the grades are bad?
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by bbbruhhhhh
I have an Extended Project to complete which is worth 6 credits, not unmarked, Discursive writing which is work 3 L3 credits (unmarked), so I'm conflicted if I should just kick myself up the arse get this done, I won't bother if I don't need to. I already have English and Math's GCSE's at A and A*.

So unconditional means I need to achieve the full diploma, even if the grades are bad?

It means you've met the entry requirements already. If they require you to complete the course, then they should have mentioned it in the offer (or maybe their terms and conditions).
Reply 5
Original post by Notoriety
It means you've met the entry requirements already. If they require you to complete the course, then they should have mentioned it in the offer (or maybe their terms and conditions).

I didn't get anything that resembled the terms and conditions. The physical letter they sent me states 'whatever the outcome of your results you have a place to study here if you wish to take it'. In the mean time I'm going to put low effort energy into these last two assignments until admissions opens at 8:30, but I hate how there's nothing like a terms and conditions. Everything seems so ambiguous.
Reply 6
I didn't get anything that resembled the terms and conditions. The physical letter they sent me states 'whatever the outcome of your results you have a place to study here if you wish to take it'. In the mean time I'm going to put low effort energy into these last two assignments until admissions opens at 8:30, but I hate how there's nothing like a terms and conditions. Everything seems so ambiguous.

You have your place but just get it done and get your qualification.It will look much bettter on the CV and you are so close!
Reply 7
Original post by Scotney
You have your place but just get it done and get your qualification.It will look much bettter on the CV and you are so close!

I really am struggling to finish, I'm so burnt out and have no motivation. It's have around 3500 words left to write, do you have any tips?
Reply 8
I really am struggling to finish, I'm so burnt out and have no motivation. It's have around 3500 words left to write, do you have any tips?

Get off TSR and just get it done.You could try recording what you want to say on your phone and then type it up.Helped daughter to drag herself over the line! She was in same position and just wanted to jack it all in but she is glad she persevered now she has her Diploma.
AFAIK, if you don't complete the qualifications you listed on your UCAS application, there's some precedent for unis not honoring unconditional offers. The argument is that by listing a qualification on your UCAS application, you're agreeing to complete it (even if you fail it) and by not doing so, you're making your application fraudulent.

3500 words are a lot to write well, but not loads to write badly, and all you have to do is finish. Draft yourself a rough plan and just waffle on until you finish!
How did you get on? Do let us know. Invested now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending