Mortifiedpenguin
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
So I have applied to study Optemetry at Glasgow Caledonian University. I have 4 A’s, in Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. I now have a nagging doubt about whether I wish to do Optometry, and with 4 A’s there are a wide range of courses available to me at other institutions such as Strathclyde and Glasgow. However, I worry that that my indecision is not so much to do with my choice of course, but the choice of university. I must admit I would prefer an older and more respected institute. The issue is Glasgow Caledonian is the only institute to offer optometry. There are other factors such as employment opportunity and starting salary to consider when comparing optometry to other courses too, but I worry that I am just being a snob.
学生の父
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Optometry is a vocational course, and if that's the career path you wish to follow then Glasgow Caledonian is the only game in town.

When we had the old divide between universities, polytechnics, and colleges of further and higher education, it was usually clear that you went to the different sorts of institution in order to have a different sort of education. Nowadays, of course, everywhere is the University of This and That, but there is still a good deal of difference in the education on offer. Essentially, the pure academic v. vocational divide (although more nebulous) is still there.

So, optometry ... You can still choose to follow that path, or you could decide with your AAAA to do something more theoretical in another science field. Glasgow and Strathclyde unis are not necessarily better, though, just different. They would offer you a different type of university education.
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Mortifiedpenguin)
So I have applied to study Optemetry at Glasgow Caledonian University. I have 4 A’s, in Maths, Physics, Biology and Chemistry. I now have a nagging doubt about whether I wish to do Optometry, and with 4 A’s there are a wide range of courses available to me at other institutions such as Strathclyde and Glasgow. However, I worry that that my indecision is not so much to do with my choice of course, but the choice of university. I must admit I would prefer an older and more respected institute. The issue is Glasgow Caledonian is the only institute to offer optometry. There are other factors such as employment opportunity and starting salary to consider when comparing optometry to other courses too, but I worry that I am just being a snob.
Firstly, it's totally normal to feel some doubts about your course choice at this time- if you've been committed to this idea for months (or longer) it's probably not a good idea to change your mind last minute.

I think you need to sit down and decide whether optometry is really what you want to do. If you're feeling unsure, then maybe it might be an option to defer your place for a year and explore some other employment options/courses.

I do think in this case, it's probably worth taking uni "prestige" out of the picture- you shouldn't back out of a career you're keen on because you want to go to a "better" university. A lot of people on TSR get really hung up about the ranking/reputation of the uni you go to, but in the real world, outside of a few careers, it really doesn't matter. Lots of people also have rubbish experiences at "top" unis, whilst others have great experiences at "lesser" ones.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (205)
57.58%
I don't have everything I need (151)
42.42%

Watched Threads