University Rape Culture... Girls? Is It True? Watch

ANM775
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by AngryRedhead)
ANM775

Paedophilia is a sexual attraction to children, which is different from power seeking. If we chemically castrated a straight man or a gay man they would lose sexual interest in women or other men because it acts on testosterone as far as I’m aware.
and removing or reducing a persons ability to feel sexual attraction is effective in reducing the chances he will rape.

Therefore there MUST be a sexual element.

There are pedophiles who act on their desires and pedophiles who don't. In my post I specifically said chemical castration was effective on pedophiles who rape.
AngryRedhead
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Intentional rape might be. I think in the case of uni rape "culture", we're dealing more with an issue of unintentional rape and not understanding consent fully.
How do you define “unintentional rape?”
Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How do you define “unintentional rape?”
As alluded to, it refers to situations where people don't understand consent. Meaning they could have an actual belief that the other person is consenting or they don't particularly bother themselves with this topic (because they're drunk or just selfish).

This is different from cases where the purpose is to have sex against the will of the other person. It is difficult to say that someone who actually believes that the other person is consenting would set out to "control".
TSR Mustafa
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ANM775 Rape is about power, not sexual attraction; otherwise men, old ladies, disabled people and babies wouldn’t get raped. We’d also see rape increase in the summer months if it was about sexual attraction, but we don’t.
Yeah but some people have perverse attractions
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ANM775
Rapists and paedophiles are differentiated legally but having sex with a child is by legal definition rape as children are considered unable to be able legally consent to sex. This is in contrast with the victims of rapists who are legally considered to be able to consent (excepting babies of course)

The fact that chemical castration reduces their urges proves that it is sexual in nature, not about power. This is why chemical castration works on paedophiles.

The onus is on you to prove rapists of the aforementioned groups that are able to consent are raping due to sexual urges and not due to a desire for power, as the scientific literature suggests
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As alluded to, it refers to situations where people don't understand consent. Meaning they could have an actual belief that the other person is consenting or they don't particularly bother themselves with this topic (because they're drunk or just selfish).

This is different from cases where the purpose is to have sex against the will of the other person. It is difficult to say that someone who actually believes that the other person is consenting would set out to "control".
I find a situation where a human being is “unable to understand consent” to be a particularly hard thing to believe when even cats and dogs have the capacity to understand the word “no.”
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I find a situation where a human being is “unable to understand consent” to be a particularly hard thing to believe when even cats and dogs have the capacity to understand the word “no.”
Rape concerns the victim's lack of consent, not the victim's saying no. In other words, rape can occur without the victim's saying a word. Conduct can be enough to communicate to a reasonable person that someone, who is not shouting "no", nevertheless does not want a part of sexual intercourse.

It is quite easy to imagine that teenage students might not understand consent when you don't either.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Rape concerns the victim's lack of consent, not the victim's saying no. In other words, rape can occur without the victim's saying a word. Conduct can be enough to communicate to a reasonable person that someone, who is not shouting "no", nevertheless does not want a part of sexual intercourse.

It is quite easy to imagine that teenage students might not understand consent when you don't either.
If someone isn’t explicitly saying or showing they want to have sex with you then aren’t you being presumptive in assuming they want to have sex with you? It’s quite simple, if i ask my girlfriend if she wants sex and she doesn’t respond; would it be more reasonable of me to assume that

A) she wants sex or
B) she doesn’t want sex?

Add alcohol into the mix and it’s easy to see why lack of responses just gets completely ignored
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ANM775
Rapists and paedophiles are differentiated legally but having sex with a child is by legal definition rape as children are considered unable to be able legally consent to sex. This is in contrast with the victims of rapists who are legally considered to be able to consent (excepting babies of course)

The fact that chemical castration reduces their urges proves that it is sexual in nature, not about power. This is why chemical castration works on paedophiles.

The onus is on you to prove rapists of the aforementioned groups that are able to consent are raping due to sexual urges and not due to a desire for power, as the scientific literature suggests
I will say that pedophiles who are raping MUST be raping at least partly due to sexual urges because when those urges are removed or reduced by chemical castration the reoffending rate drops.

This directly contradicts your study that rape is never about sexual urges.

rapists are raping less when these sexual urges are removed.
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
If someone isn’t explicitly saying or showing they want to have sex with you then aren’t you being presumptive in assuming they want to have sex with you? It’s quite simple, if i ask my girlfriend if she wants sex and she doesn’t respond; would it be more reasonable of me to assume that

A) she wants sex or
B) she doesn’t want sex?

Add alcohol into the mix and it’s easy to see why lack of responses just gets completely ignored
So you now realise I am right. Good.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ANM775

Paedophiles (or rather I should say more accurately Child sex offenders) and rapists are considered differently under law, with the offences attracting different punishments.

If you can’t understand the difference between having sex with a child and having sex with someone who has the capacity to consent then there’s not really a lot I can do to help you unfortunately. You seem to have your own ideas that are not backed up by any scientific or psychological evidence.

As I said, can you show me a study that suggests rapists are motivated by sex and not power?
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
So you now realise I am right. Good.
No, in your post you defended the idea of “unintentional rape” on the grounds that the person initiating sex either doesn’t understand consent (a laughable concept as I’m sure if you asked any of these people if they wanted another man to have sex with them they’d understand the concept real quick) or didn’t bother to find out their sexual partners view (which is de-facto rape as a lack of consent is assumed; again; if you had sex with someone without asking them first that would normally be considered rape)

You seem to be talking about a rather narrow definition of consent; I am talking about the real world common sense understanding of consent
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ANM775

Paedophiles (or rather I should say more accurately Child sex offenders) and rapists are considered differently under law, with the offences attracting different punishments.

If you can’t understand the difference between having sex with a child and having sex with someone who has the capacity to consent then there’s not really a lot I can do to help you unfortunately. You seem to have your own ideas that are not backed up by any scientific or psychological evidence.

As I said, can you show me a study that suggests rapists are motivated by sex and not power?
I have specifically said "pedophiles who rape" several times, stop trying to split the two.

A rapist is someone who had sex with someone who did not consent. A pedophile who has sex with a child under 13 falls into both the rapist catagory and pedophile catagory.

I don't need to go searching for a study which says rapists are motivated by sex and not power because the fact pedophiles who rape end up raping a whole lot less once their sexual urges get removed via chemical castration completely c0ckblocks your study.

and about your study. I don't like it.

researchers asked the pedophiles why they raped. but if you are raping someone, what does that say about your moral character? why should I trust what you say?

also I am much a fan of watching what people do, rather than what they say. In dating you often hear women say one thing, .. but then when you watch what they actually do it's the complete opposite.

FACT: When chemical castration is given to peadophile rapists. The reoffending rate drops

There is no having to rely on what a morally currupt person is saying with this. Therefore it's more reliable.
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ANM775

“Did not consent” and “cannot consent” are two different things, both legally and in common usage, but they’re both considered acts of rape. Look up the legal concept of capacity and maybe spend some time volunteering in a care home for elderly dementia residents, that would make you understand

I’ve already addressed the “paedophiles who rape” part. They’re called child sex offenders and are punished usually more strictly than rapists. If they were considered the same thing legally then all child sex offenders would just be called rapists, wouldn’t they? But the law makes a distinction.

So you don’t like what the study says? So what? Your statement is as ridiculous as saying you don’t like the sky being blue; it doesn’t make an iota of difference if you like the facts or not. For the third time; if you have ANY evidence that rapists, not child sex offenders, are motivated by sex and not by power then please present it.

Your comparison of the behaviour of women on dating sites to rapists is laughable and belies your inherent hatred of women; please stop posting; you make yourself look more ignorant with each new post and honestly I’m a little bit embarrassed for you

I am far more likely to believe what a rapist says about their OWN crime than a randomer on the internet who can’t seem to distinguish between sex with a child and sex with a non consenting adult. Whatever education you’ve had or whatever university you’ve attended (if any) has spectacularly failed you, I’m sorry to say
江山此刻波澜壮阔
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
As a girl student, you`d better not to drink with strange men. I think university is safer place than outside.If you still concern being raped, you may consider Chinese university, where rape very seldom happens.
By the way, as you are 25, do you study for bachelor degree or master degree?

@xoxAngel_Kxox @bones-mccoy Are you university student?
ANM775
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ANM775

“Did not consent” and “cannot consent” are two different things, both legally and in common usage, but they’re both considered acts of rape. Look up the legal concept of capacity and maybe spend some time volunteering in a care home for elderly dementia residents, that would make you understand

I’ve already addressed the “paedophiles who rape” part. They’re called child sex offenders and are punished usually more strictly than rapists. If they were considered the same thing legally then all child sex offenders would just be called rapists, wouldn’t they? But the law makes a distinction.

So you don’t like what the study says? So what? Your statement is as ridiculous as saying you don’t like the sky being blue; it doesn’t make an iota of difference if you like the facts or not. For the third time; if you have ANY evidence that rapists, not child sex offenders, are motivated by sex and not by power then please present it.

Your comparison of the behaviour of women on dating sites to rapists is laughable and belies your inherent hatred of women; please stop posting; you make yourself look more ignorant with each new post and honestly I’m a little bit embarrassed for you

I am far more likely to believe what a rapist says about their OWN crime than a randomer on the internet who can’t seem to distinguish between sex with a child and sex with a non consenting adult. Whatever education you’ve had or whatever university you’ve attended (if any) has spectacularly failed you, I’m sorry to say

You've produced a garbage study relying on the word of convicted criminals to back up what you're saying.
Excuse me for not having undying faith in it...

There's a reason why we as a society don't allow people like that to become Policemen or Judges etc. They cannot be trusted.

A pedophile who rapes still meets the definition of a rapist. Do you actually think that even though they couldn't legally consent, that most of those little children who are the victims of rape choose to have sex with those fat pop bellied 50 year old men. Because that what your posts implies when you keep harping on about "differances" of consent. You must be mad. Angrydeadhead I should start calling you.

"inherit hatred of women"
"Whatever education you’ve had or whatever university you’ve attended (if any) has spectacularly failed you, I’m sorry to say"

LOL.
I actually smile now when I first see ad-hominems start appearing in debates because that's when I know i've beaten the person, and out of frustration they've resorted to insults.

and on that note. I shall now go to bed.

My work here is done

Tootles.........
Last edited by ANM775; 1 week ago
AngryRedhead
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
ANM775

As opposed to your study of sweet f a? Give me a break. Your argument that it’s about sex all falls down anyway when you consider that if it really was about sex then they could just go to an attractive prostitute. Try and explain that, I’ll be waiting

For the last, and final time: Child sex offenders and rapists are distinct under uk law. People probably get frustrated with you because they’re tired of repeating the same thing to you multiple times, as opposed to any intellectual or debating superiority you claim to have

Well done at completely misunderstanding the difference between “cannot consent” and “did not consent.” This makes my point of actually knowing the difference more relevant to you, actually. If you want to think that paedophilic offences and rape are the same thing in your own little world that’s fine; but most of us live in the real world; where the law does distinguish between the two; in practical terms. You can’t just make up your own laws to suit you as and when, that’s not how a factual debate works

As you’ve neither produced a convincing arguement nor any kind of evidence to back up your views, that are neither legally or scientifically supported, I think it’s fair to say you’re talking out of your ass as usual. Debating with you is the intellectual equivalent of playing chess with a pigeon; you understand nothing, **** all over everything, then strut around like you’ve won
Last edited by AngryRedhead; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by 江山此刻波澜壮阔)
As a girl student, you`d better not to drink with strange men. I think university is safer place than outside.If you still concern being raped, you may consider Chinese university, where rape very seldom happens.
By the way, as you are 25, do you study for bachelor degree or master degree?

@xoxAngel_Kxox @bones-mccoy Are you university student?
Hi there! I appreciate the advice and I think you're right. I wasn't sure what precautions to take but I've had excellent advice from this forum.

I'm doing a bachelor's degree; I left college with very bad grades when I was 18, was aimless for a good few years, and then decided that I -was- going to get into Uni and nothing would stop me... So I spent four years studying at the Open University, where I've got my Diploma of Higher Education. This should have enabled me to get into second or even third year, but that hasn't been the case sadly, so I'm starting all over again from first year.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice!
MadVisionary
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
OP
I’m a student and a doorman at a nightclub in a uni city so seen pretty much everything that goes on during uni nightlife. I wouldn’t say there’s a rape culture, but wherever there’s a concentration of intoxicated people you’re bound to get a couple of unsavoury individuals.
Just basic precautions and common sense and you should be alright.
Don’t go out alone, don’t walk home alone. If you do end up separated, club staff should be happy to call you a licensed taxi. If a guy wants to give you a drink, make sure you watch it being poured by the barman. If you’re concerned or being harassed by someone, go straight to club security. Going out with a good group that’ll look after you if you do end up too sh*tfaced can’t hurt.
Any guy leaving with an obviously hammered girl is gonna raise suspicion with the bouncers anyway, it’s common practice to stop them and figure out who they are/how they know each other/where they’re going and make sure everything’s above board.

Don’t worry about it too much, like I said just basic precautions and common sense + don’t be afraid to approach the security staff if you’ve got any concerns. Enjoy yourself!

All the best!
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
No, in your post you defended the idea of “unintentional rape” on the grounds that the person initiating sex either doesn’t understand consent (a laughable concept as I’m sure if you asked any of these people if they wanted another man to have sex with them they’d understand the concept real quick) or didn’t bother to find out their sexual partners view (which is de-facto rape as a lack of consent is assumed; again; if you had sex with someone without asking them first that would normally be considered rape)

You seem to be talking about a rather narrow definition of consent; I am talking about the real world common sense understanding of consent
Nah, you simply misunderstood my post. I was not suggesting that either of those meant rape was not committed. Hence, I called it unintentional rape. I.e. rape which was not "intentional". I'd have said "unintentional (and thus) non-rape" if I meant that.

I am talking about the view the law (in England) takes, which is probably more salient than your subjective understanding of the word "rape".

if you had sex with someone without asking them first that would normally be considered rape
Also this is complete nonsense.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (75)
17.24%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (280)
64.37%
Not yet but I am planning to (21)
4.83%
Not yet but I might (59)
13.56%

Watched Threads