People who did an Access Course in the last year or two, what was the workload like?

Watch
dustiebun
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I've basically trawled this site for information on A2HE courses and most of the info says the work isn't particularly hard, but there's a lot of it. However so many of the threads are 5+ years old and I know the course has changed a bit recently. If you did a course this year or last year, was it still a crazy amount of work?
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
What subject you doing
ljames93
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I just finished my nursing one and managed to get straight distinctions, the work wasn't particularly hard but it mounts up with each subject setting assignments at the same time. Personally I found the hardest part was working around it and maintaining a social life! Feel free to ask me anything else! 👍
dustiebun
Rep:
?
(Original post by adam271)
What subject you doing
Social Science
dustiebun
Rep:
?
(Original post by ljames93)
I just finished my nursing one and managed to get straight distinctions, the work wasn't particularly hard but it mounts up with each subject setting assignments at the same time. Personally I found the hardest part was working around it and maintaining a social life! Feel free to ask me anything else! 👍
How often did you work? I'm currently on a full time contract but want to change my hours when I get onto the course. Would, say, 20 hours a week be manageable?
ljames93
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by dustiebun)
How often did you work? I'm currently on a full time contract but want to change my hours when I get onto the course. Would, say, 20 hours a week be manageable?
I initially tried to work about 25-30 hours around it which was just way too much and very almost saw me drop out of the course because of stress! Honestly my advice would be to work around 10 hours a week and pick up extra hours (if your job allows it) when you don't have course work to do. I'd also recommend working your arse off before starting the course to have some money saved so you're in as strong a financial position as possible and need to work as little as possible during the course! .
dustiebun
Rep:
?
(Original post by ljames93)
I initially tried to work about 25-30 hours around it which was just way too much and very almost saw me drop out of the course because of stress! Honestly my advice would be to work around 10 hours a week and pick up extra hours (if your job allows it) when you don't have course work to do. I'd also recommend working your arse off before starting the course to have some money saved so you're in as strong a financial position as possible and need to work as little as possible during the course! .
Thank you I think a request to cut my hours to 10 would be denied (or at least that's what my manager says) so I will try and compromise and go with 15. Any more and I'll start looking for a new job I suppose.
I'm definitely going to work work work before the course starts! Luckily it's not til next year so I'm hoping to get some serious £££ saved before I have to go part time.
ljames93
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Thank you I think a request to cut my hours to 10 would be denied (or at least that's what my manager says) so I will try and compromise and go with 15. Any more and I'll start looking for a new job I suppose.
I'm definitely going to work work work before the course starts! Luckily it's not til next year so I'm hoping to get some serious £££ saved before I have to go part time.
That sounds like a good plan of action! Best of luck with the course when you get to it! 😁
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I did it. Psychology, sociology and criminology. I didn't find the work particularly hard but I found it tiring and time consuming. I spent hours and hours writing the perfect assignments but I probably went way over what was needed, although I don't know anyone else who got full distinctions like I did so have nothing to compare it to. I suffer with anxiety and I'm a bit of a perfectionist :/ I also did a higher maths gcse. I don't work but I have kids. I couldn't have worked while doing the course. We had 11 assignments and 2 exams.
BGreener
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

I have just completed an Access to Nursing and Midwifery course. The three subjects were psychology, biology, and sociology. It was a blended class. That meant that the psychology and biology were class-room taught and the sociology was presented online. The class started at 6 pm. There were around 10 of us and we all worked full time. We would all be coming into college after a full-days work. It is possible to work full time but we were all super stressed out. The ones who had children had it the worst, and I truly do not know how they did it. If you can drop the hours, do it!

Regarding the level of difficulty of the work really depends upon you. I found the biology and sociology interesting, whereas psychology was difficult. I didn't even read the sociology online modules. I just read the questions and answered it, and did really well with my grades. Because I liked reading around the question, I found it easy to answer. If you find a class hard, dull or dry then that will require the time and effort to do well in your assignments.

Also, it really depends if you are used to writing assignments, referencing, and time-management organisation. The classes started at the very basics and built up in difficulty towards the end. it wasn't super tricky at the end. The idea of the course is to get you used to reading the question, answering the question asked, reading around the subject, and understanding of the subject matter. The greater the wider reading the better the mark.

My weekends would only consist of assignments, everything else came second. This was because I was working full time. We would get a new assignment every two/three weeks, it can feel quite intense. Just start the assignment right away. Chip away at it, don't wait until the day before. It is possible to complete an assignment in a day or two, but your marks could suffer.

It is only 9 months of hard work, but the rewards will be worth it. Throw yourself into it, use the advice the teachers give you and you will be fine. Just think of the end goal and why you are doing it.
adam271
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Also with access to engineering your presumed to know gcse maths.
With Access to science your presumed to know a fair bit of gcse science.

I think with social sciences that is not really a issue. So guess I'm saying the barrier for entry may be a bit lower to begin with
Last edited by adam271; 1 year ago
dustiebun
Rep:
?
(Original post by BGreener)
My weekends would only consist of assignments, everything else came second. This was because I was working full time. We would get a new assignment every two/three weeks, it can feel quite intense. Just start the assignment right away. Chip away at it, don't wait until the day before. It is possible to complete an assignment in a day or two, but your marks could suffer.
I'm most worried about this. I have every intention of doing it, but at school etc I would always start off wanting to do this and end up doing coursework the night before, or not at all. I'm hoping that since I've matured a lot since then I won't slip back into bad habits!
Plain1
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I'm most worried about this. I have every intention of doing it, but at school etc I would always start off wanting to do this and end up doing coursework the night before, or not at all. I'm hoping that since I've matured a lot since then I won't slip back into bad habits!
I always started as early as possible .It's different being an adult in education, no one is forcing you to do anything.
DCDCo
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I got 45/45 Distinctions. For a 3 credit unit I did about 25 hours, for a 6 credit unit I did about 35 hours. I did that whilst working 45 hours a week at work.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (51)
16.67%
I'm not sure (8)
2.61%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (105)
34.31%
I have already dropped out (4)
1.31%
I'm not a current university student (138)
45.1%

Watched Threads