Universities in Scotland That Offer a Solid Bachelor's Course in Computer Science?

Watch
Strelzo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
My primary target is Edinburgh University, as their BEng Computer Science course is great, and leads on perfectly to an MSc/PgDip Cyber Security, Privacy and Trust course.

Now, I'd obviously need other options for Universities should I fall short on the requirements, and so I ask if there are any Universities in Scotland that offer a similar course? I want to pursue a career as a cryptographer, cryptanalyst or an ethical hacker.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
most 'ethical hackers' that I met were coding things in Linux at age twelve or thirteen.... part of that is a natural ability, but part can be learned

Crypto*.* is good, however make sure that you follow the entangled qubit saga , as that might/might-not revolutionise all future crypto algos.
(I presume you haven't yet read the phrase "grAl fluxonium qubit" anywhere else this week!)

Edinburgh University - fantastic choice,
University of Glasgow, equally great
broaden to Gaming...the Dundee Universities obviously support their local Games industry (Abertay - GTA?),
back to cyber, how about the GCHQ-accredited Masters degree at Edinburgh Napier University

in fact let's check out the full list of approved courses https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/...tified-degrees

Fully certified Bachelor's degrees
Edinburgh Napier University BEng Cybersecurity and Forensics <<<<<---------SCOTLAND

Provisionally certified Bachelor's degrees
Oxford Brookes University BSc Computer Science for Computer Security
Royal Holloway, University of London BSc Computer Science (Information Security)
University of Warwick BSc Cyber Security

Integrated Master's degrees
Provisionally certified Integrated Master's degrees
Royal Holloway, University of London MSci in Computer Science (Information Security)
University of Southampton MEng in Computer Science with Cyber Security
Imperial College London MEng Computing (Security and Reliability) (from September 2019)

Fully certified Master's degrees
University of Birmingham MSc in Cyber Security
Cranfield University MSc in Digital Forensics
Edinburgh Napier University MSc in Advanced Security and Digital Forensics - even by distance learning <<<<<---------SCOTLAND
Lancaster University MSc in Cyber Security
University of Oxford MSc in Software and Systems Security
Queen's University Belfast MSc Applied Cyber Security
Royal Holloway, University of London MSc in Information Security (+International Academy MSc in Information Security - distance learning)
Sheffield Hallam University MSc in Cyber Security - available as full-time or part-time
University of Southampton MSc in Cyber Security
University of South Wales MSc in Computer Forensics
University of Surrey MSc in Information Security
University College London MSc in Information Security
University of Warwick MSc in Cyber Security and Management
University of Warwick MSc in Cyber Security Engineering
University of York MSc in Cyber Security

Provisionally certified Master's degrees
Abertay University MSc Ethical Hacking and Cyber Security <<<<<---------SCOTLAND
Cranfield University MSc in Cyber Defence and Information Assurance
De Montfort University MSc Cyber Security or Cyber Technology
University of Kent MSc in Cyber Security
Kingston University MSc in Network and Information Security (Cyber Pathway)
Oxford Brookes University MSc Computer Science for Cyber Security
University of South Wales MSc Cyber Security
University of the West of England MSc Cyber Security

however, amazingly, the first degree location doesn't really matter - you could do Computing at UWS Paisley and still end-up as a cybersecurity professional. You'd obviously follow up that 'friendly' uni with your first and get into a slightly higher tier for an approved Masters
I've known friends study at Belgian Universities and later do great, others at Italian universities, then finish with a Doctorate in Stockholm.
I personally studied electronics and later wrote IEEE papers on 'cracking' DECT (cordless phone) and *any* encrypted Wi-Fi privacy attacks using Machine Learning to guess things.

Anyway, back to that recurrent Napier course https://www.napier.ac.uk/courses/ben...duate-fulltime
I did like Napier, but much preferred their Merchiston campus, their Sighthill campus was a bit too anonymous for me, (can be seen on The Nine TV news) I know that the MSc is taught at Merchiston campus,, but you'd have to check this for the BSc.

So , I think we mentioned six Scottish colleges so far in passing - don't forget Stirling, RGU, Strathclyde...loads of options!
Strelzo
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
most 'ethical hackers' that I met were coding things in Linux at age twelve or thirteen.... part of that is a natural ability, but part can be learned

Crypto*.* is good, however make sure that you follow the entangled qubit saga , as that might/might-not revolutionise all future crypto algos.
(I presume you haven't yet read the phrase "grAl fluxonium qubit" anywhere else this week!)

Edinburgh University - fantastic choice,
University of Glasgow, equally great
broaden to Gaming...the Dundee Universities obviously support their local Games industry (Abertay - GTA?),
back to cyber, how about the GCHQ-accredited Masters degree at Edinburgh Napier University

in fact let's check out the full list of approved courses https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/...tified-degrees

Fully certified Bachelor's degrees
Edinburgh Napier University BEng Cybersecurity and Forensics <<<<<---------SCOTLAND

Provisionally certified Bachelor's degrees
Oxford Brookes University BSc Computer Science for Computer Security
Royal Holloway, University of London BSc Computer Science (Information Security)
University of Warwick BSc Cyber Security

Integrated Master's degrees
Provisionally certified Integrated Master's degrees
Royal Holloway, University of London MSci in Computer Science (Information Security)
University of Southampton MEng in Computer Science with Cyber Security
Imperial College London MEng Computing (Security and Reliability) (from September 2019)

Fully certified Master's degrees
University of Birmingham MSc in Cyber Security
Cranfield University MSc in Digital Forensics
Edinburgh Napier University MSc in Advanced Security and Digital Forensics - even by distance learning <<<<<---------SCOTLAND
Lancaster University MSc in Cyber Security
University of Oxford MSc in Software and Systems Security
Queen's University Belfast MSc Applied Cyber Security
Royal Holloway, University of London MSc in Information Security (+International Academy MSc in Information Security - distance learning)
Sheffield Hallam University MSc in Cyber Security - available as full-time or part-time
University of Southampton MSc in Cyber Security
University of South Wales MSc in Computer Forensics
University of Surrey MSc in Information Security
University College London MSc in Information Security
University of Warwick MSc in Cyber Security and Management
University of Warwick MSc in Cyber Security Engineering
University of York MSc in Cyber Security

Provisionally certified Master's degrees
Abertay University MSc Ethical Hacking and Cyber Security <<<<<---------SCOTLAND
Cranfield University MSc in Cyber Defence and Information Assurance
De Montfort University MSc Cyber Security or Cyber Technology
University of Kent MSc in Cyber Security
Kingston University MSc in Network and Information Security (Cyber Pathway)
Oxford Brookes University MSc Computer Science for Cyber Security
University of South Wales MSc Cyber Security
University of the West of England MSc Cyber Security

however, amazingly, the first degree location doesn't really matter - you could do Computing at UWS Paisley and still end-up as a cybersecurity professional. You'd obviously follow up that 'friendly' uni with your first and get into a slightly higher tier for an approved Masters
I've known friends study at Belgian Universities and later do great, others at Italian universities, then finish with a Doctorate in Stockholm.
I personally studied electronics and later wrote IEEE papers on 'cracking' DECT (cordless phone) and *any* encrypted Wi-Fi privacy attacks using Machine Learning to guess things.

Anyway, back to that recurrent Napier course https://www.napier.ac.uk/courses/ben...duate-fulltime
I did like Napier, but much preferred their Merchiston campus, their Sighthill campus was a bit too anonymous for me, (can be seen on The Nine TV news) I know that the MSc is taught at Merchiston campus,, but you'd have to check this for the BSc.

So , I think we mentioned six Scottish colleges so far in passing - don't forget Stirling, RGU, Strathclyde...loads of options!
Wow, thanks a lot for that detailed response.

I've always had an interest in computing, and it does come to me naturally like you said.

I'm going to have a further look at Edinburgh Napier and Glasgow for offers, the other ones are too far away. Thanks for guiding me on the correct path.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (91)
27.91%
No - I have already returned home (43)
13.19%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (62)
19.02%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (32)
9.82%
No - I live at home during term anyway (98)
30.06%

Watched Threads