Crohn’s and Loperamide. Watch

chloeemmarose
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hey, I have recently been told that I have Crohn’s disease but I have to wait until the 28th August for my gastroenterologist appointment before more treatment can start.
I am at the end of a week long course of high dose Prednisolone but I haven’t noticed much of an effect.
I have a holiday coming up soon and I don’t want to be stuck in the bathroom the entire time.
Is it okay for me to take loperamide until my appointment? I have taken it for over two years because of a previous diagnosis of IBS which turned out to be wrong.
What are the dangers of taking loperamide with Crohn’s disease and will it work?
Thankyou
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
loperamide is an opiate/opium derivative that is poorly absorbed, stuns the villi, stopping peristalsis, as would heroin. (there have recently been some deaths from loperamide & some abuse , I think mostly in USA, due to the wrong dosing, but that can also happen with H2O & Coffee! - the dose is important)

I do know people who take a lot of generic loperamide hydrochloride , and have suggested that they try a non-opiate gel, a new type of polymer molecular sieve, that seems to work in my family. I bought in Boots, but was quite expensive, so found the next on Amazon, where it was a bit expensive - but much better than boots!

Try a tube?, you stir a soup-spoon, or a couple of teaspoons into a glass of water, it nearly dissolves, then you drink it - feels a bit like a glass of rubbery-chalky-jelly, inoffensive but weird. I usually wash the glass out and drink that too.

As it is a pure passive medication, it might be of some help in Crohns without even the mild opioid risk of immodium.

ENTEROSGEL https://www.boots.com/enterosgel-90g-10210092 (~£10.40)

One important thing to mention , is that this 'mechanical sieve' completely removes any other meds that you might be taking from your GI system, so important to take other meds first, then this jelly substance a while afterwards.

I found some hungarian research papers suggesting that it was suitable in Crohns,

"Enterosgel is not a pharmacological preparation in the conventional sense. It is rather related to the same category of biomaterials as, for example, membranes for plasmapheresis that are also used for numerous indications. Secondly, there are a number of typical responses of the organism associated with Enterosgel use, which are repeated in the laboratory and in the clinic in the treatment of various pathological states.
These responses include normalization of intestinal microbiocenosis, suppression of lipid peroxidation processes and activation of antioxidant defense, improved indices of lipidogram, decreased plasma concentration of “middle molecules”, decreased plasma content of circulating immune complexes and pro-inflammatory cytokines, and positive immune modulation of many parameters of cellular and humoral immunity. One should also add improvement of detoxifying and system, synthetic functions of the liver and restoration of properties of hepatocyte membranes, improved renal functions, and
elevation of regenerative-reparative potential of a number of organs and tissues in general. Many of these phenomena are long term characteristics and poorly correspond to the properties of Enterosgel shown in vitro, and this fact once again points out the complexity and depth of mechanisms of therapeutic action of enterosorption"

It's a Russian/Hungarian/Bulgarian medicine - which mostly had western doctors laughing at strange eastern green liquids and unfamiliar things, until antibiotic resistance - Cdiff, MRSA, etc appeared - then British doctors started looking in puddles for "phages" and similar eastern innovations.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by chloeemmarose)
Hey, I have recently been told that I have Crohn’s disease but I have to wait until the 28th August for my gastroenterologist appointment before more treatment can start.
I am at the end of a week long course of high dose Prednisolone but I haven’t noticed much of an effect.
I have a holiday coming up soon and I don’t want to be stuck in the bathroom the entire time.
Is it okay for me to take loperamide until my appointment? I have taken it for over two years because of a previous diagnosis of IBS which turned out to be wrong.
What are the dangers of taking loperamide with Crohn’s disease and will it work?
Thankyou
It can be dangerous to use during a flare-up, there is a risk of it causing a perforation in the bowel. Please do not use it unless you have spoken to your doctor. If you are still having problems despite the prednisolone, you need to go back and see the GP - even if they can't arrange for you to be seen sooner, they might still be able to get advice from the hospital doctors and give you other meds. Crohn's is a serious condition and I would strongly advise against self-mediating.
Anonymous #1
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
loperamide is an opiate/opium derivative that is poorly absorbed, stuns the villi, stopping peristalsis, as would heroin. (there have recently been some deaths from loperamide & some abuse , I think mostly in USA, due to the wrong dosing, but that can also happen with H2O & Coffee! - the dose is important)

I do know people who take a lot of generic loperamide hydrochloride , and have suggested that they try a non-opiate gel, a new type of polymer molecular sieve, that seems to work in my family. I bought in Boots, but was quite expensive, so found the next on Amazon, where it was a bit expensive - but much better than boots!

Try a tube?, you stir a soup-spoon, or a couple of teaspoons into a glass of water, it nearly dissolves, then you drink it - feels a bit like a glass of rubbery-chalky-jelly, inoffensive but weird. I usually wash the glass out and drink that too.

As it is a pure passive medication, it might be of some help in Crohns without even the mild opioid risk of immodium.

ENTEROSGEL https://www.boots.com/enterosgel-90g-10210092 (~£10.40)

One important thing to mention , is that this 'mechanical sieve' completely removes any other meds that you might be taking from your GI system, so important to take other meds first, then this jelly substance a while afterwards.

I found some hungarian research papers suggesting that it was suitable in Crohns,

"Enterosgel is not a pharmacological preparation in the conventional sense. It is rather related to the same category of biomaterials as, for example, membranes for plasmapheresis that are also used for numerous indications. Secondly, there are a number of typical responses of the organism associated with Enterosgel use, which are repeated in the laboratory and in the clinic in the treatment of various pathological states.
These responses include normalization of intestinal microbiocenosis, suppression of lipid peroxidation processes and activation of antioxidant defense, improved indices of lipidogram, decreased plasma concentration of “middle molecules”, decreased plasma content of circulating immune complexes and pro-inflammatory cytokines, and positive immune modulation of many parameters of cellular and humoral immunity. One should also add improvement of detoxifying and system, synthetic functions of the liver and restoration of properties of hepatocyte membranes, improved renal functions, and
elevation of regenerative-reparative potential of a number of organs and tissues in general. Many of these phenomena are long term characteristics and poorly correspond to the properties of Enterosgel shown in vitro, and this fact once again points out the complexity and depth of mechanisms of therapeutic action of enterosorption"

It's a Russian/Hungarian/Bulgarian medicine - which mostly had western doctors laughing at strange eastern green liquids and unfamiliar things, until antibiotic resistance - Cdiff, MRSA, etc appeared - then British doctors started looking in puddles for "phages" and similar eastern innovations.
I would advise against taking this as well. Just see your GP, OP.
Napp
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by LuigiMario)
Might one ask where you came across this info? I've heard of it being abused but only in the sense that it can help relieve withdrawel. Never mind the fact you'd have to take an astonishingly high amount of the stuff for any such effect. Less a case of miss-dosing as opposed to deliberate abuse.
LuigiMario
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
It was in US news, idiots using loperamide in astonishingly high doses as a methadone analog etc, except it causes cardiac problems at those doses. I think there were few problems up until about 2012, then a few cases popped-up, now since 2015 it is increasing, and the mortality rate is increasing.

Loperamide is one of the World Health Organisation's "Model List of Essential Medicines", but idiots will "smoke anything" in search of an escape from reality.

Looking at https://scholar.google.com , +loperamide +abuse got > 6000 hits

this is a recent one https://accpjournals.onlinelibrary.w...1002/phar.1885 (many full articles are behind paywalls, useless for open science)

Brief Report from American College of Clinical Pharmacy
Loperamide Trends in Abuse and Misuse Over 13 Years: 2002–2015

Daniel R. Lasoff Cynthia H. Koh Bryan Corbett Alicia B. Minns F. Lee Cantrell
First published: 20 December 2016 https://doi.org/10.1002/phar.1885

Study Objective

With the increasing amount of information available on the Internet describing techniques for using loperamide either for self‐treatment of opioid withdrawal syndromes or for recreational use (so‐called legal highs), the objective was to describe a statewide poison control system's experience with loperamide misuse and abuse, with specific interest in cases of cardiotoxicity, and to determine if reported loperamide misuse or abuse cases have recently increased...

..Between 2002 and 2013, the number of yearly calls to the poison control system regarding loperamide cases ranged from 12–19 (mean 16.4, median 17.5 calls). In 2014, a sharp increase to 41 calls was noted...

... spike in the number of cases of loperamide toxicity reported in 2014 and 2015 coincided with an abundance of online instructions on how to abuse this drug. Almost all cases of recorded cardiotoxicity occurred over the last 3 years. Cardiotoxicity from loperamide abuse has only recently been recognized as a potential complication during the last few years, so earlier cases of cardiotoxicity resulting from loperamide abuse were likely missed.

Conclusion
Our data suggest that loperamide may be increasing in popularity as a drug of abuse and for treatment of opioid withdrawal symptoms. Given the potential for significant toxicity with loperamide exposure, including life‐threatening cardiac dysrhythmias, clinicians should consider obtaining a screening electrocardiogram for patients presenting after acute or chronic high‐dose ingestions of loperamide. In addition, increased control over the availability of loperamide may be warranted.

don't try this at home folks
chloeemmarose
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hey guys, quick update.
I did only take the two tablets which works out at about 4mg I think. I wouldn’t take anymore than this as I’m not that stupid (I ended up addicted to them and was taking 16mg a day to get me through year 11 at school).

Long story short this was four days ago and might I add that it’s been the BEST four days of my life. No symptoms and was finally able to poop like a normal person.
I might start taking two tablets per week to keep any diarrhoea under control. I feel like I’ve got my life back.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%