Does tutoring count as employment (UCAS)

Watch
MateInTwo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I tutor some younger students a couple times a week, and am paid directly by their parents, per hour. Does this count as "employment", d.h. do I enter this into the "employment" section in my UCAS application?
harrysbar
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MateInTwo)
Hi, I tutor some younger students a couple times a week, and am paid directly by their parents, per hour. Does this count as "employment", d.h. do I enter this into the "employment" section in my UCAS application?
Yes you can enter that in the employment section. To be honest, it won't affect much unless the tutoring is relevant to your degree course (a lot of UCAS applicants just leave the employment section blank) but you can include it if you want to.
MateInTwo
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by harrysbar)
Yes you can enter that in the employment section. To be honest, it won't affect much unless the tutoring is relevant to your degree course (a lot of UCAS applicants just leave the employment section blank) but you can include it if you want to.
I'm applying for a mathematics undergratuate degree, and have given tutoring in maths. Is that relevant? I'd think so...
harrysbar
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by MateInTwo)
I'm applying for a mathematics undergratuate degree, and have given tutoring in maths. Is that relevant? I'd think so...
Yes I think so too and you could also talk about it in your personal statement if you want
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by cloud1706)
is it okay to put it in your personal statement but not in the employment section?
Why would you want to do that?

If you were in paid employment then it should be included in your employment section
cloud1706
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
Why would you want to do that?

If you were in paid employment then it should be included in your employment section
I thought it counted as self-employment so I don't know whose details to give as the employer
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
I thought it counted as self-employment so I don't know whose details to give as the employer
If you’re self employed then put that.
cloud1706
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by PQ)
If you’re self employed then put that.
in the employment section ?
PQ
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
in the employment section ?
Yes. Self employment is still paid employment.
MadMathsMum
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Depends how much other stuff is in your PS. Shows that you are pursuing your academic interests outside of the classroom and also that you are empassioned about your subject enough to want to develop the skills of younger pupils.!! (rather than just the cash aspect of it!)
Being good at a subject is one thing; being able to bring it alive and help it make sense to others that find it more difficult shows that you have patience and can communicate your subject. These are positives surely? See how much other stuff you have and decide accordingly.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

What support do you need with your UCAS application?

I need help researching unis (25)
13.23%
I need help researching courses (12)
6.35%
I need help with filling out the application form (9)
4.76%
I need help with my personal statement (79)
41.8%
I need help with understanding how to make my application stand out (46)
24.34%
I need help with something else (let us know in the thread!) (3)
1.59%
I'm feeling confident about my application and don't need any help at the moment (15)
7.94%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed