New tyres for a Clio and a broken timing belt! Watch

The Hitchhiker
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
I'm scrapping my car after the timing belt failed leaving 5 of 8 valves bent

Bloody thing had only done 30K since it was fitted in 2005.

Anyway My wheels are 4*100 with a tyre measurement of 175/70/13. I'd like to fit them to my friends M reg Clio as his are only just over the legal limit. Can you see any issues fitting them? I've got a MK II Golf. His are currently 155/70/13 and a four stud but I don't know if the extra width will give some issues.
prodriven
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by Yellow Truck)
I'm scrapping my car after the timing belt failed leaving 5 of 8 valves bent

Bloody thing had only done 30K since it was fitted in 2005.

Anyway My wheels are 4*100 with a tyre measurement of 175/70/13. I'd like to fit them to my friends M reg Clio as his are only just over the legal limit. Can you see any issues fitting them? I've got a MK II Golf. His are currently 155/70/13 and a four stud but I don't know if the extra width will give some issues.
Shouldnt be a problem, the tyre fitter will be able to tell you for definite once he's got one on...

Its a good time to scrap a car, my local yard is currently paying £200/tonne for scrap and will even do free pickup :eek:
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
13 inch wheels??
The Hitchhiker
Rep:
?
(Original post by prodriven)
Shouldnt be a problem, the tyre fitter will be able to tell you for definite once he's got one on...

Its a good time to scrap a car, my local yard is currently paying £200/tonne for scrap and will even do free pickup :eek:
wow, thought i'd have to pay them for taking it away!

We where going to do it on the cheap and just swap the complete rim and tyre over one wheel at a time. It'll be alot of jacking etc... but free
prodriven
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
wow, thought i'd have to pay them for taking it away!

We where going to do it on the cheap and just swap the complete rim and tyre over one wheel at a time. It'll be alot of jacking etc... but free
The days of paying to get rid of scrap appear to be long gone, luckily!

If your swapping the rims over then you'll be fine, jus think of all the grip that extra tyre width is going to give him :p:
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Make sure that all the rims are balanced first...
Mr Catbert
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yellow Truck. You talking about your golf there?
The Hitchhiker
Rep:
?
(Original post by Mr Catbert)
Yellow Truck. You talking about your golf there?
Sadly, the Golf is ****ed

Took the head off it and saw the bad news. Seeing as it has some tinworm on the doors, needs new door seals and the tappets where noisy and the wheel bearings where crunchy on the drivers side it's time to part company. I'm stripping my weber carb conversion off it as that'll sell tho and some other keep sakes.

The days of paying to get rid of scrap appear to be long gone, luckily!

If your swapping the rims over then you'll be fine, jus think of all the grip that extra tyre width is going to give him :p:
That beefy 1.2L clio engine will be thrashing them i'm sure :p:
Mr Catbert
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Thats unlucky, I was going to ask why not just source a new head, but I see why now.

Unlucky mate!
The Hitchhiker
Rep:
?
Thats unlucky, I was going to ask why not just source a new head, but I see why now.

Unlucky mate!
Yeah I'd thought about it. I'd restore it if it where a GTI but as it's only a CL it's really not worth the cash. I'd probably rebuild the bottom with oversize pistons and bore out the block and fit a new camshaft with a polished head if it where a 16V GTI....

Ah well. It's served me well. Gutted as it had near enough full service history too, it's not like the belt snapped via lack of care.

Next time i own a car it will be in 3 years time after uni as I can't afford to take it there anyway.

EDIT: I'd love to store it for 3 years then restore it with a 16V GTI head and a 2L bottom end if I had somewhere to keep it and stop it rusting...
Mr Catbert
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
nononono

What you really want to do is get an Audi V8 with manual box, make it RWD with an LSD in a mk 1 golf body. Run it through a very quiet exhaust system, then have some right fun with people who think you're running a banger
The Hitchhiker
Rep:
?
nononono

What you really want to do is get an Audi V8 with manual box, make it RWD with an LSD in a mk 1 golf body. Run it through a very quiet exhaust system, then have some right fun with people who think you're running a banger
A sleeper suprise
The Hitchhiker
Rep:
?
I scrapped it today after robbing my weber carb conversion off it.

I got 100 quid for it so not too bad all in all. Hopefully the carb will make the same.
prodriven
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I scrapped it today after robbing my weber carb conversion off it.

I got 100 quid for it so not too bad all in all. Hopefully the carb will make the same.
Never nice to scrap a car, but good to see they gave you a fair amount :gthumb:. That carb should be worth a bit, they are pretty rare if I remember correctly.
The Hitchhiker
Rep:
?
Never nice to scrap a car, but good to see they gave you a fair amount :gthumb:. That carb should be worth a bit, they are pretty rare if I remember correctly.
Yeah one place offered me 50 quid as the engine was shot. What can they actually recycle from a scrap car? Obv the metal but do they send the metal away to be melted down like the engine block or is it just body parts they use? ANd all that oil must be a headache too, it's a wonder how they keep in business

I've seen the Weber conversion carbs go for anything from75 to 125 on ebay so we'll see what mine gets. I've got the mounting plate and choke cable so fingers crossed!

So sad to scrap your first car I even had a name for it haha.
prodriven
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah one place offered me 50 quid as the engine was shot. What can they actually recycle from a scrap car? Obv the metal but do they send the metal away to be melted down like the engine block or is it just body parts they use? ANd all that oil must be a headache too, it's a wonder how they keep in business

I've seen the Weber conversion carbs go for anything from75 to 125 on ebay so we'll see what mine gets. I've got the mounting plate and choke cable so fingers crossed!

So sad to scrap your first car I even had a name for it haha.
Depends on the car usually. Some places will want to sell the car in bits, but thats usually more hassle than its worth. Usually its a case of draining the liquids and taking batterys out and disposing of them (costly) and then just sell the leftover to be melted down. More modern cars can be a real headache apparently because a lot of the plastics used need to be recycled seperately so they cars need to actually be dismantled peice by peice, all in the name of the environment though!
Cj-Tj
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Well, they have machines which go under the car and automatically put holes in the fuel tank, remove the filter or drain the sump, remove coolant etc. The fuel is used in their own vehicles, after filtering, and oils arnt too expensive to recycle with crude at $139/barrel. Good heavy scrap is £200 a tonne. When you split the whole thing down they make plenty of money.

There is a plant in mersyside I think which deals with nearly 50% of the UKs scrap vehicles, 1000s a day. Very impressive opperation.
Lara C.
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Depends on the car usually. Some places will want to sell the car in bits, but thats usually more hassle than its worth. Usually its a case of draining the liquids and taking batterys out and disposing of them (costly) and then just sell the leftover to be melted down. More modern cars can be a real headache apparently because a lot of the plastics used need to be recycled seperately so they cars need to actually be dismantled peice by peice, all in the name of the environment though!
AC is a real *******.
Mr Catbert
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, the montreal protocol makes it illegal to discharge R134a to the environment... As it causes global warming or something... *Looks at the storm outside window*
Tofufi
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Yeah, the montreal protocol makes it illegal to discharge R134a to the environment... As it causes global warming or something... *Looks at the storm outside window*
The current climate changes will make the world warmer on average, and wetter (more rain) on average. However, the UK is likely to actually get colder and wetter
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (24)
6.88%
They might tell the bully (33)
9.46%
I don't think they'd understand (53)
15.19%
It might lead to more bullying (135)
38.68%
There's nothing they could do (104)
29.8%

Watched Threads