Study tech Watch

Notoriety
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
What sort of software/sites/apps do you use to organise your studying?

For example, to-do lists, notes and summaries, keeping a journal to track ideas?

JohanGRK
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Google Drive for storage of articles/PDFs + physical notepad for random thoughts (I try to only use one notepad at a time )

There's a great Chrome extension that allows you to see a to-do list when you open a new tab
Notoriety
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by JohanGRK)
Google Drive for storage of articles/PDFs + physical notepad for random thoughts (I try to only use one notepad at a time )

There's a great Chrome extension that allows you to see a to-do list when you open a new tab
Cheers, thanks for the tips.

Regarding the notepad, I just wanted a way to type up and then hyperlink to other random notes and summaries -- rather than scratching around a notepad to find similar or flowing ideas. You can do it on Word but it's a ball ache.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I have all my PDFs dropboxed, but that's about it. Never bothered with anything else. Maybe a list of idea when starting something
Notoriety
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
I have all my PDFs dropboxed, but that's about it. Never bothered with anything else. Maybe a list of idea when starting something
Simpler times when you were a bairn, gjd.

Yeah, I use OneDrive for cloud. Useful to keep all the docs on; and word docs you're currently editing are updated. So if your laptop goes kaput, you've still got the most recent version.

I guess I just am ****e at organising.
gjd800
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Notoriety)
Simpler times when you were a bairn, gjd.

Yeah, I use OneDrive for cloud. Useful to keep all the docs on; and word docs you're currently editing are updated. So if your laptop goes kaput, you've still got the most recent version.

I guess I just am ****e at organising.
I spend more time thinking about what I'm gonna do than I do actually doing it, so I suppose I do a lot of the organisational stuff in my head then just have at it writing-wise. Even for the PhD I did basically no notes etc unless I was working on translations (I prefer to do them by hand rather than directly into a word processor).

Oh, I use foxit reader and that lets you highlight and add notes to pdfs is you are so inclined. I dunno id Adobe Reader does that these days, not used it for donkeys, but it's helpful
Fresher18
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
GoodNotes to store all lecture note and PDFs/PowerPoints from blackboard, this is automatically synced between iPad & MacBook so I dont need to worry about which I can be bothered to carry that day, iPad works great especially with Apple Pencil support as I can either type or write my notes and then dont need to carry folders of paperwork either.

I personally try to go paperless if I can there's only been a few things I actually need paper for this past year
Notoriety
Rep:
?
(Original post by gjd800)
I spend more time thinking about what I'm gonna do than I do actually doing it, so I suppose I do a lot of the organisational stuff in my head then just have at it writing-wise. Even for the PhD I did basically no notes etc unless I was working on translations (I prefer to do them by hand rather than directly into a word processor).

Oh, I use foxit reader and that lets you highlight and add notes to pdfs is you are so inclined. I dunno id Adobe Reader does that these days, not used it for donkeys, but it's helpful
Aye, Foxit is useful. Simpler than Adobe, so runs more smoothly, free and allows annotations. Do recommend.

I suspect you have the right of it. About the info being largely contained in your noggin rather than over a 1000 pages of notes.
JohanGRK
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Cheers, thanks for the tips.

Regarding the notepad, I just wanted a way to type up and then hyperlink to other random notes and summaries -- rather than scratching around a notepad to find similar or flowing ideas. You can do it on Word but it's a ball ache.
Hm

I got around that by using Google Docs as my word processor - which then allows you to post internet links to other Google Docs. And all you need is a browser
MiaNova
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
What sort of software/sites/apps do you use to organise your studying?

For example, to-do lists, notes and summaries, keeping a journal to track ideas?
Hey, :wavey:

I personally don't like Microsoft word, it's really slow so I always use Google Docs to do my notes / lists.

It automatically saves my work and saves it in my Google Drive so no stress about losing it.

Like others have mentioned, I use a physical notebook if I have to - for rough work only.

Use a chrome extension called Momentum, which lets you make to-do lists + notes and tick each off when you're done.

Hope I could help!
Keeperoflegends
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
I used google doc to make a exam question bank
Great for revision as it is made out of past papers and u can be familiar with the exam style
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (117)
14.13%
Excited (81)
9.78%
Worried (155)
18.72%
Terrified (190)
22.95%
Meh (55)
6.64%
Confused (24)
2.9%