The Student Room Group

Should i retake second year (averaged 45%) or go to 3rd year? (Physics at Bath)

im in a situation where i failed one of my modules where the retakes in 1 week so i can either fail tht module again which means i can redo my second year again or carry on with 3rd year by passing it.
I believe im capabable of getting a 2:1 and calculated with the weighing system i need 67% average 3rd year just to get a 2:1.
few other Q:
1. im really not into physics tht much so i felt i need a 2:1 degree if i want job opportunities for engineering or maybe even financial sector reckon thts a fair judgement?
2. if i do get a 2:2 i realise its not end of the world but i realise alot of "graduate jobs" require a 2:1 so getting a 2:2 isnt it the same as not getting a degree anyways
3.how badly does a "failed year" reflect on your CV in your experience? would you rather get a 2:2 or a 2:1 with a failed year?
Ouch, I certainly would if money was a non issue.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
im in a situation where i failed one of my modules where the retakes in 1 week so i can either fail tht module again which means i can redo my second year again or carry on with 3rd year by passing it.
I believe im capabable of getting a 2:1 and calculated with the weighing system i need 67% average 3rd year just to get a 2:1.
few other Q:
1. im really not into physics tht much so i felt i need a 2:1 degree if i want job opportunities for engineering or maybe even financial sector reckon thts a fair judgement?
2. if i do get a 2:2 i realise its not end of the world but i realise alot of "graduate jobs" require a 2:1 so getting a 2:2 isnt it the same as not getting a degree anyways
3.how badly does a "failed year" reflect on your CV in your experience? would you rather get a 2:2 or a 2:1 with a failed year?

UPDATE: this is the first time i "failed" a year so im guessing SFE does give you a "gift" year so i dont think money is a issue besides the fact il be paying £10k more back but im not too fussed about tht
UPDATE: this is the first time i "failed" a year so im guessing SFE does give you a "gift" year so i dont think money is a issue besides the fact il be paying £10k more back but im not too fussed about tht

Go for it then.
few other Q:

Have you checked if your retake year is capped?
Reply 5
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Have you checked if your retake year is capped?

no it isnt. can you please try and answer the sub questions too would be much appreicated
few other Q:

I didn't answer the questions initially, as knowing whether or not the retake year is capped would affect my answers.

1. Grad schemes usually ask for at least a 2:1, so you're right to presume that a 2:1 is a good classification to aim for (or higher if you can). If you can demonstrate transferable skills, then you shouldn't have too much of a problem.
2. People have successfully got on grad schemes with a 2:2, but you'd need to make sure that you are a great all-round applicant as a result.
3. If you have circumstances that would explain your failed year, then that might make it less detrimental. The reasons you failed the year might be of interest to an interview panel anyway, so make sure you know how to explain it. An employer will look at you as a whole person, so it isn't as simple as comparing two people based purely on degree class and failed years.
Reply 7
I didn't answer the questions initially, as knowing whether or not the retake year is capped would affect my answers.

1. Grad schemes usually ask for at least a 2:1, so you're right to presume that a 2:1 is a good classification to aim for (or higher if you can). If you can demonstrate transferable skills, then you shouldn't have too much of a problem.
2. People have successfully got on grad schemes with a 2:2, but you'd need to make sure that you are a great all-round applicant as a result.
3. If you have circumstances that would explain your failed year, then that might make it less detrimental. The reasons you failed the year might be of interest to an interview panel anyway, so make sure you know how to explain it. An employer will look at you as a whole person, so it isn't as simple as comparing two people based purely on degree class and failed years.

does this "grad scheme" affect you for the rest of your life? suppose your 40 years old now and u want to apply for a job would you still need a 2:1 or does experience take over? but how would they know what experience you have if there requirement is a 2:1 and you dont get a chance to apply?
Reply 8
I would retake the year - in part because I suspect that you would not be best prepared for the third year if you had issues in the second. Work hard in the extra year and crack on with it.
does this "grad scheme" affect you for the rest of your life? suppose your 40 years old now and u want to apply for a job would you still need a 2:1 or does experience take over? but how would they know what experience you have if there requirement is a 2:1 and you dont get a chance to apply?

Tbh, I don't really know. My career track doesn't have graduate schemes, so I've no experience with them directly. Which career are you interested in? I can move this thread to the relevant forum then.

You can apply for grad schemes with a lower classification by all means, and if you have lots of experience to back it up, then you may have just as much chance than a fresh graduate with a 2:1.
Tbh, I don't really know. My career track doesn't have graduate schemes, so I've no experience with them directly. Which career are you interested in? I can move this thread to the relevant forum then.

You can apply for grad schemes with a lower classification by all means, and if you have lots of experience to back it up, then you may have just as much chance than a fresh graduate with a 2:1.

something into economics? office type jobs?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending