sundogs
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 11 years ago
Hi

I'm doing this exam on June 17th and i was just wondering if someone could give me a hand with a question

http://www.ocr.org.uk/Data/publicati...tion_Paper.pdf

its question 2 part c

the answer on the mark scheme is 30KJ but i really have no idea how to work it out (despite going through it in class a few months ago...but i forgot/ wasn't really paying attention)..

anywho

if anyone can tell me how to work it out i'd really appreciate it

thanks
neillya1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
I think it's 1/10th of the energy each time you move up the food chain, so:

Grass = 3000Kj
Cow gets 300Kj
Human Gets 30Kj

I think that is right
sundogs
Rep:
?
(Original post by neillya1)
I think it's 1/10th of the energy each time you move up the food chain, so:

Grass = 3000Kj
Cow gets 300Kj
Human Gets 30Kj

I think that is right

ooh thank you!!

that makes sense
jellylegs08
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
i've got written in my book that 90% of energy is wasted each time you go up the food chain... lol, that technically means that you should have it as well (this is to sundogs) :P

on a completely different note, what's the difference between saprophytes and detritivores? i've got that they both digest dead and decaying matter...
lil_miss_rapunzel
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Saprophytes do it by extracellular digestion (they 'feed by secreting digestive enzymes on to the material outside of their cells. The enzymes break down the material into smaller bits which an then be absorbed by the saprophyte. Most saprophytes are bacteria and fungi' CGP), whereas I think detritivores just eat it.

I'm really scared about the exam tomorrow (OCR Gateway). I don't understand any of the modules very well, especially B5. I wish it was an afternoon exam so i could have tomorrow morning to revise.
jellylegs08
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
^ thanks

same. there's too much to learn! I knew I should have started earlier...
moneyballs2
Report 11 years ago
The details we need to know is madness!

B5 and all the excessive knowledge of SAN and AVN pacemakers and P waves, R Waves & T Waves. Not to mention the blood groups... and the kidneys... and everything else in the topic!

B6 is ok-ish at first, and then the last few topics go into massive details with genetics and enzymes etc..

I know most things it's just trying to remember and recall properly in the exam! Hopefully the paper will be reasonable... I'm dreading the Physics one on Friday as well, havn't even learnt P5 or P6 yet... haha. Don't even want to do it!
sundogs
Rep:
?
(Original post by jellylegs08)
i've got written in my book that 90% of energy is wasted each time you go up the food chain... lol, that technically means that you should have it as well (this is to sundogs) :P

on a completely different note, what's the difference between saprophytes and detritivores? i've got that they both digest dead and decaying matter...

hah i should have it written but i don't!

eeergh i'm very scared there's SO much.

i'm looking forward to the nice politically correct names...e.g. Mitha

yushuak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by moneyballs2)
P waves, R Waves & T Waves.
What!? What are they? *Maniacly ruffles through text book* I see no mention of waves.

HELP! :confused:
moneyballs2
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yushuak)
What!? What are they? *Maniacly ruffles through text book* I see no mention of waves.

HELP! :confused:
On an ECG diagram... You sure you havn't got it in your book? If you have the Collins Science for OCR GCSE Biology, Chemistry, Physics B then it is on page 21 at the bottom right hand corner.

If not...

P waves - SAN Impulses
R waves - Ventricle Impulses (I assume this to be AVN, book doesn't mention, but that would be my logical guess)
T waves - ventricle contacting

Ignore the letters Q, S & U. We don't need to know that, and to be honest I havn't got a clue what they are...

Good Luck
yushuak
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
Oh dear.. I didnt even know these were on the course. We use the Heinemann textbooks. Gateway Science - OCR Biology for GCSE. We only really touched on SAN and AVN as well. At revision today we just said that they are the bodies natural pacemaker and if they stop working and the heart goes into ventricular fibrillation then defibrillation is needed super quick.

Oh.. I just found a section on it in the big text book. Damn those super-thin anorexic revision books with the bare minimum in.

Right thankyou. I'll learn this then go to bed. YAWN!

EDIT: It says QRS is AVN or "Impulse causing ventricles to contract". Good guess :P
Grumble then it goes on to talk about Tachycardia.. do we need to know that?
jellylegs08
Rep:
?
Report 11 years ago
(Original post by yushuak)
Oh dear.. I didnt even know these were on the course. We use the Heinemann textbooks. Gateway Science - OCR Biology for GCSE. We only really touched on SAN and AVN as well. At revision today we just said that they are the bodies natural pacemaker and if they stop working and the heart goes into ventricular fibrillation then defibrillation is needed super quick.

Oh.. I just found a section on it in the big text book. Damn those super-thin anorexic revision books with the bare minimum in.

Right thankyou. I'll learn this then go to bed. YAWN!

EDIT: It says QRS is AVN or "Impulse causing ventricles to contract". Good guess :P
Grumble then it goes on to talk about Tachycardia.. do we need to know that?
i've never even heard of those words. I have the Heinemann textbook too. Does it say that in there? :confused: i;m reading the textbook at the moment and it's annoying me with its patronizing-ness. :mad:
moneyballs2
Report 11 years ago
How did you all find it?

I actually thought it was quite easy (well, easier than I expected) They actually asked a question on the Pacemaker cells in the heart, which was just what I wanted..

The only question I truely stumbled on was the B4 section on plant defficiency.. I never really learnt that.. But everything else wasn't too bad
Elelelel
Report 11 years ago
I found it quite good also. I found it easier than i thought it would be, but there were some questions i didnt know.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• The University of Law
    The Bar Series: Applications and Interviews - London Bloomsbury campus Postgraduate
    Thu, 17 Oct '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19
  • Coventry University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 19 Oct '19

Why wouldn't you turn to teachers if you were being bullied?

They might tell my parents (2)
3.92%
They might tell the bully (5)
9.8%
I don't think they'd understand (9)
17.65%
It might lead to more bullying (18)
35.29%
There's nothing they could do (17)
33.33%

Watched Threads