driving at 16 Watch

ayl00
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
can you drive when u are 16 with a parent? and when do you get ur national insurance number?
Mustafa0605
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In the UK, you can’t drive until you’re 17. You can apply for a provisional license 3 months before you’re 17 so you can start learning to drive on your 17th birthday. If you’re close to 17 it may also be worth learning the theory test content. (This is all if you want to get a driving license as quick as possible)
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
taurus_queen
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I think only on private property.
Last edited by taurus_queen; 2 weeks ago
13kaniae
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
From what I've heard recently you can start driving lessons at 16 years and 9 months - but you can't take the test until you are 17. Please look into this though, it's only what I heard from a friend last week.
Last edited by 13kaniae; 2 weeks ago
ayl00
Rep:
?
(Original post by taurus_queen)
I think only on private property.
oh okay, thanks
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ayl00)
can you drive when u are 16 with a parent? and when do you get ur national insurance number?
You get your NI number 3 months before you're 16, which is a year before you can apply for a provisional. You won't be able to take any tests until you're 17, and most formal instructors won't teach anyone without a provisional.

Being a parent isn't enough to be able to teach someone to drive. What if your parent has never driven a car before? Etc. You need to be over 21 and have held your licence for 3 years in order to teach someone.

If you want to drive with a parent (one with a licence etc) then you can but only on private property, so you can't drive down your street or on public roads.
Last edited by DrawTheLine; 2 weeks ago
ayl00
Rep:
?
(Original post by DrawTheLine)
You get your NI number 3 months before you're 17, which is also when you can apply for a provisional. You won't be able to take any tests until you're 17, and most formal instructors won't teach anyone without a provisional.

Being a parent isn't enough to be able to teach someone to drive. What if your parent has never driven a car before? Etc. You need to be over 21 and have held your licence for 3 years in order to teach someone.

If you want to drive with a parent (one with a licence etc) then you can but only on private property, so you can't drive down your street or on public roads.
thank you for this info x
miss_ambitious
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
You get your NI number 3 months before you're 17, which is also when you can apply for a provisional. You won't be able to take any tests until you're 17, and most formal instructors won't teach anyone without a provisional.

I live in England and got my NI number a couple of weeks after I turned 16 and many of my friends also.
Elmo12
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I got my NI number a few weeks before my 16th Birthday and got a job not long after which required my NI number.

You can apply for provisional license from 15 and 9 months I think (or at least it used to be as I know someone who did) but you can’t learn to drive until 17.
Last edited by Elmo12; 2 weeks ago
DrawTheLine
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by miss_ambitious)
I live in England and got my NI number a couple of weeks after I turned 16 and many of my friends also.
Oh sorry typo! I'll edit it now. Yes it is a few months before you're 16. Thanks for pointing that out I didn't notice that
IWMTom
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by ayl00)
No, you cannot, except in very special circumstances.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Elmo12)
I got my NI number a few weeks before my 16th Birthday and got a job not long after which required my NI number.

You can apply for provisional license from 15 and 9 months I think (or at least it used to be as I know someone who did) but you can’t learn to drive until 17.
That's for a moped I believe.
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Strelzo)
That's for a moped I believe.
It's the same licence for a car and a moped.

The user was correct - you can get your provisional licence at 15 years and 9 months, but you cannot drive a car until your 17th birthday.
Strelzo
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by IWMTom)
It's the same licence for a car and a moped.

The user was correct - you can get your provisional licence at 15 years and 9 months, but you cannot drive a car until your 17th birthday.
You need to be 16 years old to ride a moped.
Dunya
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
If you have a beard or look older than you are
IWMTom
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Your point being?
miss_ambitious
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Oh sorry typo! I'll edit it now. Yes it is a few months before you're 16. Thanks for pointing that out I didn't notice that
You're welcome
RoyalSheepy
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Point out the obvious yes. 15 years and 9 months to apply for the licence.

FYI: https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive
ayl00
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by Mustafa0605)
In the UK, you can’t drive until you’re 17. You can apply for a provisional license 3 months before you’re 17 so you can start learning to drive on your 17th birthday. If you’re close to 17 it may also be worth learning the theory test content. (This is all if you want to get a driving license as quick as possible)
thank you
ayl00
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by RoyalSheepy)
Point out the obvious yes. 15 years and 9 months to apply for the licence.

FYI: https://www.gov.uk/driving-lessons-learning-to-drive
oh really
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (165)
13.26%
Excited (108)
8.68%
Worried (229)
18.41%
Terrified (291)
23.39%
Meh (99)
7.96%
Confused (32)
2.57%
Putting on a brave face (163)
13.1%
Impatient (157)
12.62%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise