UnIcOrNpoWeR123
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Recently seeing a news article about the number of incidents about racism, I was shocked to Cambridge significantly having the highest amount of reported incidents of racism. As an ethnic minority myself, feeling comfortable and included in a not so diverse environment is very important for me. Are there any Cambridge students that know about the university lifestyle at Cambridge and if racism is a big issue or not?
Anonymous #1
Report 1 year ago
Well ofc. For a university so high up the hierarchy, racism shouldn’t be a shock.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 year ago
Please research it properly. The high number of reports is not due to more racism- it is due to the reporting system being far better than other unis, and people being encouraged to report things more.

Also don't forget some reports are false (eg against a lecturer reading the N word out loud, when it's literally written in the text they're reading).

There is basically no real serious racism, institutional or otherwise. Go check it out, get in touch with the black (or whatever race you are) societies and ask them about their experiences. The vast majority of ethnic minorities will say there's no racism issue
meme259
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
no
mez_merising
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
the actjak university isn’t, people there might be, but there’s racist people everywhere. plus unis are trying to be more diverse so will look at intaking students from all backgrounds
Wired_1800
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by UnIcOrNpoWeR123)
Recently seeing a news article about the number of incidents about racism, I was shocked to Cambridge significantly having the highest amount of reported incidents of racism. As an ethnic minority myself, feeling comfortable and included in a not so diverse environment is very important for me. Are there any Cambridge students that know about the university lifestyle at Cambridge and if racism is a big issue or not?
Overt racism is not common but what people get is subtle bits of discrimination based on ignorance. Also, some people come from homogenous areas that they genuinely struggle to understand diverse elements.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you travelling in the Uni student travel window (3-9 Dec) to go home for Christmas?

Yes (43)
31.85%
No - I have already returned home (16)
11.85%
No - I plan on travelling outside these dates (27)
20%
No - I'm staying at my term time address over Christmas (11)
8.15%
No - I live at home during term anyway (38)
28.15%

Watched Threads