The Student Room Group

switching hospitals as a doctor

How often do you have to swap hospitals are a junior doctor?
Original post by adri2000
How often do you have to swap hospitals are a junior doctor?

Significant changes to your base hospital/region usually happen once a year in August (or sometimes in February).

Having said that, you may still work at or cover multiple sites within a smaller geographic area e.g. FY2 O&G: I worked at three separate hospitals during the four month job, depending on where they needed juniors that day - sometimes this meant working at one hospital in the morning then driving to another for the afternoon theatre list.
Reply 2
Thank you.

Lol, I was watching that and heard him say it, that's why I came to ask some more. Didn't even realise that was Adam Kay though, missed his name. I expected you to have to move for the first couple of years but not as much after that. You say for speciality training you'll have to move- how often? Every year?

Does this make it impossible to have a house? How do people with partners navigate this?
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
Significant changes to your base hospital/region usually happen once a year in August (or sometimes in February).

Having said that, you may still work at or cover multiple sites within a smaller geographic area e.g. FY2 O&G: I worked at three separate hospitals during the four month job, depending on where they needed juniors that day - sometimes this meant working at one hospital in the morning then driving to another for the afternoon theatre list.

Ah interesting, thank you!
Reply 4
If you don't mind verifying what I think:

FY1 in a location you apply for
New application for FY2 and therefore change of location
Apply for core training which lasts 2-3 years (do you change location every year here or does the region, not necessarily hospital, remain the same?)
Registrar training as you've said above (is there a place where I can see how it is arranged for different specialities as you've included for neuro above and is there a website where I can see what the different regions are for specialities?)

Thank you.
Reply 5
Thank you for the detailed response. This helps a lot.
Reply 6
Original post by adri2000
Thank you.

Lol, I was watching that and heard him say it, that's why I came to ask some more. Didn't even realise that was Adam Kay though, missed his name. I expected you to have to move for the first couple of years but not as much after that. You say for speciality training you'll have to move- how often? Every year?

Does this make it impossible to have a house? How do people with partners navigate this?

Specialty training is variable depending on what you're working in - some will have longer time periods spent in DGHs/teaching hospitals. For anaesthetics I did core training in London, where the core trainees did 1 year DGH/1 year teaching hospital, but in my current deanery the main teaching hospital has no core trainees at all so the CTs do both years in two different DGHs. For specialty training, we spend ~3 years in teaching hospitals and 2 in 2 different DGHs - in my deanery it's ST3/6/7 in the teaching hospital and 4/5 in DGH, but in London it was ST3/5 DGH and 4/6/7 in the teaching hospital.

Most registrars I work with have bought houses now. Some buy near to the teaching hospital as that is our base and we spend most time there. However, it's also one of the most expensive cities in the country and my husband has a job 40 miles away, so we chose to live further away in the end. My 2 DGH years were both in easy commuting distance - one in the same town so <15 mins, the other ~40 mins drive away. The commute for me to Oxford is horrible and I may end up staying in hospital accommodation between night shifts/long days once I go back from mat leave but we haven't decided yet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending