Higher art under-marked Watch

Mayuxue
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
So I needed an A in higher art. I was on track to getting an A. I put loads of effort in on my portfolio, completed tons of past papers, and asked my teacher for loads of advice. In all my practice papers I was getting an A and that was also the result of my prelim.

Back to my portfolio. I had two sections: design, and expressive. For my expressive I drew the usual of flowers and birds and still life kind of stuff, with an interesting twist. However, for my design I was told I was allowed to pick what I want as my class was just ten people. I chose to create a concept for a video game. Characters design, map design, story, tiny details, everything. It was a vampire-shooter. I loved going to school and working on it every day. I put in so much effort.

Leading up to the 6th of August, I was sure I was going to get the A I needed in Art and Design for my university place. However, receiving that text was one of the most gut-wrenching things I had ever experienced. I got a C. Not even close to the requirements from the uni.

I have no idea what I did wrong. I answered the paper extensively, just like I had in the past. I put a ton of detail into my answers and finished before the time. I thought my folio pieces were great. They were unique, original and of a great quality. Was is because of my marker? My friends and parents are telling me that since art is subjective, my folio could have been completely trashed by a marker who prefers fine art, and doesn’t know how to mark modern takes on it.

I am going for a remark, I am not sure if it’ll do any good, but I know for sure my work deserves more credit than what got. It feels like the marker didn’t even care. There’s no way I could have gotten a C from failing the paper alone, the root lies in my folio. And I am really curious to know what happened.

I am not being an ass, but I know my folio deserves more credit.
Labrador99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by Mayuxue)
So I needed an A in higher art. I was on track to getting an A. I put loads of effort in on my portfolio, completed tons of past papers, and asked my teacher for loads of advice. In all my practice papers I was getting an A and that was also the result of my prelim.

Back to my portfolio. I had two sections: design, and expressive. For my expressive I drew the usual of flowers and birds and still life kind of stuff, with an interesting twist. However, for my design I was told I was allowed to pick what I want as my class was just ten people. I chose to create a concept for a video game. Characters design, map design, story, tiny details, everything. It was a vampire-shooter. I loved going to school and working on it every day. I put in so much effort.

Leading up to the 6th of August, I was sure I was going to get the A I needed in Art and Design for my university place. However, receiving that text was one of the most gut-wrenching things I had ever experienced. I got a C. Not even close to the requirements from the uni.

I have no idea what I did wrong. I answered the paper extensively, just like I had in the past. I put a ton of detail into my answers and finished before the time. I thought my folio pieces were great. They were unique, original and of a great quality. Was is because of my marker? My friends and parents are telling me that since art is subjective, my folio could have been completely trashed by a marker who prefers fine art, and doesn’t know how to mark modern takes on it.

I am going for a remark, I am not sure if it’ll do any good, but I know for sure my work deserves more credit than what got. It feels like the marker didn’t even care. There’s no way I could have gotten a C from failing the paper alone, the root lies in my folio. And I am really curious to know what happened.

I am not being an ass, but I know my folio deserves more credit.
Not sure if you've already seen it, but there's more information here on the post results service if you need it
student15373
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I personally didn’t take art so I can’t relate, but in my school the entire higher class got a D. I can only guess the marking was extremely harsh?
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
alicejbb123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
hi, i received my n5 art results and i was also on track for an A and got an A in the prelim aswell. However, when i got my results i got a C. Other people in my class have had dissapointing results aswell when i know that they deserved higher than what they got. I think that it has all been under marked. We are applying for it to be remarked aswell
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (215)
12.36%
Excited (160)
9.2%
Worried (308)
17.7%
Terrified (385)
22.13%
Meh (179)
10.29%
Confused (37)
2.13%