SQA- english exams Watch

jannythejanware
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
how do they mark the English papers . I understand that its cross marked but is it possible that ones paper could be marked more leniently compared to another person depending on the marker.
Hazzabear
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jannythejanware)
how do they mark the English papers . I understand that its cross marked but is it possible that ones paper could be marked more leniently compared to another person depending on the marker.
The examiners follow a strict mark scheme, there’s no way of being lenient I assume. They go through training every year so they know how to mark the papers properly so there’s no errors. I hope this helps!
Posted on the TSR App. Download from Apple or Google Play
SingerPro
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by jannythejanware)
Yes, it is possible. If a specific paper is cross marked then the mark the cross marker gives is considered the correct mark as they are the ones who train markers, create the marking schemes etc.

Markers receive marking reports on whether they are too lenient or harsh and if this is problematic then it is addressed. I know of many teachers who have said that they on average are a mark too harsh with the essays but a mark too lenient on the set text which cancels out. It really doesn't ever make a drastic difference and your school would never submit an appeal based on a couple of marks off, at worst, the marker could have been.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (216)
12.39%
Excited (161)
9.23%
Worried (308)
17.66%
Terrified (385)
22.08%
Meh (180)
10.32%
Confused (37)
2.12%