Job Rant Watch

sally_1912
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hi all,
This is more or a rant than a question but I have given up on employment. I am 18 years old and have never worked at all. Every email I get is: We've found a more suitable candidate. Someone with experience in retail or customer service. Okay but there's students younger than me who are working. My CV was evaluated by a top cv company as well and I've polished it up. Im honest about everything too including that I've never had a job. But how will I get experience when no one is willing to tale a chance on me?!?! Im turning 19 this year and I've never worked. How embarassing, i may as well just wait till after uni and get into the career I want (Law).

Employers are biased too. I scored and aced am interview at Pandora but got rejected. Yes I have no experience, but my sisterin law who's 27 has plenty in retail and did well in the interview. I saw that (here) Pandora has only white workers and we are muslim and asian. Also i applied to Boots in the make up section but I dont cake it on me everyday. After acing it and getting rejected, a girl my age from college who does cake it, got it. Wtf? She has no experience either!
Last edited by sally_1912; 2 weeks ago
OR321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
I’m 17 and I’ve worked in two supermarkets. The key is to sometimes lie a little in your application and say exactly what the employer wants to hear tbh 😂😂. Most of the time they look for your personality traits rather than actual work
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by sally_1912)
...Okay but there's students younger than me who are working....
It's not embarrasing at all, but I do admire your persistence for trying.

How do you know these younger people don't have experience?(Unlikely, but possible)

You'll also need to apply strategically - fast food restaurants and supermarkets, for example, would be happy to take on young people with virtually no experience. After working these for a few months you will have experience.

Finally, if you are really having problems - consider volunteering!

Good luck.
sally_1912
Rep:
?
(Original post by ecolier)
It's not embarrasing at all, but I do admire your persistence for trying.

How do you know these younger people don't have experience?(Unlikely, but possible)

You'll also need to apply strategically - fast food restaurants and supermarkets, for example, would be happy to take on young people with virtually no experience. After working these for a few months you will have experience.

Finally, if you are really having problems - consider volunteering!

Good luck.
Thanks! I have tried Supermarkets though and they've said the same thing like Tescos, Halfords, Aldi etc.
sally_1912
Rep:
?
(Original post by OR321)
I’m 17 and I’ve worked in two supermarkets. The key is to sometimes lie a little in your application and say exactly what the employer wants to hear tbh 😂😂. Most of the time they look for your personality traits rather than actual work
But don't they ask for references?
ecolier
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
Thanks! I have tried Supermarkets though and they've said the same thing like Tescos, Halfords, Aldi etc.
Oh wow? I personally was rejected from Asda but accepted by a fast food place next to it. Keep trying and you'll get in!

:goodluck:
OR321
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
But don't they ask for references?
I’ve worked in Sainsbury’s (permanent) and Tesco (which was temp) but personally I’ve never been asked for references.
DuckDodgers
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
In addition to lying, have you tried being related to somebody who works there? Preferably their niece.

Also please free to rant away. The careers section doesn't have enough rants for my liking
Last edited by DuckDodgers; 2 weeks ago
Bang Outta Order
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by DuckDodgers)
In addition to lying, have you tried being related to somebody who works there? Preferably their niece.

Also please free to rant away. The careers section doesn't have enough rants for my liking
Nepotism is just disgusting and horrible.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (213)
12.75%
Excited (150)
8.98%
Worried (302)
18.07%
Terrified (374)
22.38%
Meh (154)
9.22%
Confused (37)
2.21%