Potentially late student loans for Imperial - does it matter? Watch

InneRs
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
My course at Imperial College London will start in late September. I'm currently applying for student loans as a holder of Indefinite Leave to Remain. After sending off the ILR to SFE, they returned the document with a letter asking me to provide proof of immigration status between September 2016 and November 2018 (the date my ILR was granted), despite the fact that I would have to had 5 years of continuous lawful residency to be granted an ILR in the first place. They insisted to see original documents. However the BRP covering that period has been taken away by the Home Office for the ILR application so I only have the photocopy now. I didn't have a decision letter addressed in my name with the details of my visa either since I was only a dependant back then, and my parent's (the main applicant) decision letter didn't say anything about me, which means I don't have any original documents to provide since the Home Office has never produced one other than the retained BRP.

I have filed a subject access request with the Home Office more than 2 weeks ago asking for a summary of my immigration status. They'll have to respond within 30 days since the request has been filed and with the level of (in)efficiency the Home Office has, I wouldn't be surprised if they leave it until the last moment, and that would be another two weeks from now on. I will then have to send the summary off to SFE which would then take another 20 something days to process the application, which brings the time very close to, maybe even after the course start date. Would this mean that I may have to pay for the tuition fee myself until the SFE approves my application? Or would the uni be willing to wait?

Any help are appreciated!
Last edited by InneRs; 1 week ago
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by InneRs)
My course at Imperial College London will start in late September. I'm currently applying for student loans as a holder of Indefinite Leave to Remain. After sending off the ILR to SFE, they returned the document with a letter asking me to provide proof of immigration status between September 2016 and November 2018 (the date my ILR was granted), despite the fact that I would have to had 5 years of continuous lawful residency to be granted an ILR in the first place. They insisted to see original documents. However the BRP covering that period has been taken away by the Home Office for the ILR application so I only have the photocopy now. I didn't have a decision letter addressed in my name with the details of my visa either since I was only a dependant back then, and my parent's (the main applicant) decision letter didn't say anything about me, which means I don't have any original documents to provide since the Home Office has never produced one other than the retained BRP.

I have filed a subject access request with the Home Office more than 2 weeks ago asking for a summary of my immigration status. They'll have to respond within 30 days since the request has been filed and with the level of (in)efficiency the Home Office has, I wouldn't be surprised if they leave it until the last moment, and that would be another two weeks from now on. I will then have to send the summary off to SFE which would then take another 20 something days to process the application, which brings the time very close to, maybe even after the course start date. Would this mean that I may have to pay for the tuition fee myself until the SFE approves my application? Or would the uni be willing to wait?

Any help are appreciated!
Contact the fees office and explain to them what is happening.
There are always delays and complications so they should be fine.
Have the uni confirmed your home fee status?
The only issue is that you need to check deadlines for fee payment and once you start the course, then you are liable for the fees, even if SFE turn you down.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/students/fees-and-funding/
PQ
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Can you get a letter from your school? SFE will sometimes accept that
InneRs
Rep:
?
(Original post by 999tigger)
Contact the fees office and explain to them what is happening.
There are always delays and complications so they should be fine.
Have the uni confirmed your home fee status?
The only issue is that you need to check deadlines for fee payment and once you start the course, then you are liable for the fees, even if SFE turn you down.

http://www.imperial.ac.uk/students/fees-and-funding/
Should I wait for it until September before contacting the registry in case HO and SFE can get it sorted out quicker?
Yes the uni has confirmed that I'm a home student.
I have checked the Imperial website several times and they didn't specify any deadline; they only say that if a student is paying the tuition fee by themselves, they would receive an invoice in September and the payment deadline is specified on that.
InneRs
Rep:
?
(Original post by PQ)
Can you get a letter from your school? SFE will sometimes accept that
I have an email confirming my fee status, though not a letter. I don't know if that's original enough for them.
999tigger
Badges: 19
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by InneRs)
Should I wait for it until September before contacting the registry in case HO and SFE can get it sorted out quicker?
Yes the uni has confirmed that I'm a home student.
I have checked the Imperial website several times and they didn't specify any deadline; they only say that if a student is paying the tuition fee by themselves, they would receive an invoice in September and the payment deadline is specified on that.
Just contact them and give them the hypothetical about what happens with any delay for student finance and any deadline. The liability for the fee is yours, even if for some reason you dont get student finance. Also what PQ said above is worth a shot.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (138)
13.48%
Excited (93)
9.08%
Worried (193)
18.85%
Terrified (234)
22.85%
Meh (78)
7.62%
Confused (29)
2.83%