What to do: I think I have social anxiety Watch

Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
In short, I think I may have social anxiety but I don’t want to see a GP about it and don’t feel like I have anyone to talk to about it. I don’t know what to do…

In length, I’ve always been a massive worrier. As a child, I used to cry on a daily basis and was unbearably shy. I can remember doing a school assembly with my year group in primary school and I had to say ONE sentence but cried the whole way through the assembly, said my line and cried after too. I also remember in year 6 crying before my first ever SAT test.
Similarly, in high school I also cried a hell of a lot. Mostly over silly things too. For example, I cried in one of my first maths lessons because I was surrounded by people I didn’t know. Then I cried a lot through year 10 and 11 over the stress of exams.
In sixth form, I wanted to make friends so desperately and I really tried except it seemed like no one wanted to be friends with me as they already had friends. I blushed when speaking to anyone, particularly teachers and males. I also was late once and my class was in a computer room and I didn’t know where, had to walk in another class and ask where mine was, when I finally got in my class, I cried. In the second year, I didn’t know anyone in one of my classes and didn’t speak to anyone all year, or when I did, I struggled with what to say. I felt like people behind me were laughing at me and talking about me or my clothes, when I sat in the front row of one of my classes. I also stress cried on a few occasions.
Several difficult life events all hit in the second year of sixth form too – loss of family member and exams at the same time.
Now, I’ve finished sixth form and I’m looking for a job. I can’t find a job, been to several interviews but never get any job offers. I feel like my friends and I are just friends because none of us have anyone else, my mum calls our friendship group ‘the misfits’. Whenever I do something I find nervewracking, my heart races, I sweat really bad, I go red, I get a dry mouth. It’s not fun.
I don’t know how to get help without my family knowing, since my sister also had an anxiety phase last year and still has anxiety. I don’t want people to think I’m copying her or faking it or whatever. Also, I don’t really have a GP I’m close to, I would probably just end up crying and being unable to say what I want to, to them. What should I do?
Imlonely124
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
In short, I think I may have social anxiety but I don’t want to see a GP about it and don’t feel like I have anyone to talk to about it. I don’t know what to do…

In length, I’ve always been a massive worrier. As a child, I used to cry on a daily basis and was unbearably shy. I can remember doing a school assembly with my year group in primary school and I had to say ONE sentence but cried the whole way through the assembly, said my line and cried after too. I also remember in year 6 crying before my first ever SAT test.
Similarly, in high school I also cried a hell of a lot. Mostly over silly things too. For example, I cried in one of my first maths lessons because I was surrounded by people I didn’t know. Then I cried a lot through year 10 and 11 over the stress of exams.
In sixth form, I wanted to make friends so desperately and I really tried except it seemed like no one wanted to be friends with me as they already had friends. I blushed when speaking to anyone, particularly teachers and males. I also was late once and my class was in a computer room and I didn’t know where, had to walk in another class and ask where mine was, when I finally got in my class, I cried. In the second year, I didn’t know anyone in one of my classes and didn’t speak to anyone all year, or when I did, I struggled with what to say. I felt like people behind me were laughing at me and talking about me or my clothes, when I sat in the front row of one of my classes. I also stress cried on a few occasions.
Several difficult life events all hit in the second year of sixth form too – loss of family member and exams at the same time.
Now, I’ve finished sixth form and I’m looking for a job. I can’t find a job, been to several interviews but never get any job offers. I feel like my friends and I are just friends because none of us have anyone else, my mum calls our friendship group ‘the misfits’. Whenever I do something I find nervewracking, my heart races, I sweat really bad, I go red, I get a dry mouth. It’s not fun.
I don’t know how to get help without my family knowing, since my sister also had an anxiety phase last year and still has anxiety. I don’t want people to think I’m copying her or faking it or whatever. Also, I don’t really have a GP I’m close to, I would probably just end up crying and being unable to say what I want to, to them. What should I do?
I can relate to a lot of this, want to pm?
Pathway
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
How old are you OP? Above the age of 16 you're entitled to confidentiality, unless you're at risk. If you feel unable to verbalise your issues, you can write them down on paper and give your GP the paper. Talking to someone about it will be hard, especially if social interactions cause you issues (which makes sense with social anxiety), but putting it off because you're worried about crying is only putting more barriers up. Write your problems down and go to a GP that you do feel comfortable with or one that has a good understanding of mental health issues (you can ask the receptionists).
Last edited by Pathway; 1 week ago
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Imlonely124)
I can relate to a lot of this, want to pm?
Of course!
Anonymous #1
(Original post by Pathway)
How old are you OP? Above the age of 16 you're entitled to confidentiality, unless you're at risk. If you feel unable to verbalise your issues, you can write them down on paper and give your GP the paper. Talking to someone about it will be hard, especially if social interactions cause you issues (which makes sense with social anxiety), but putting it off because you're worried about crying is only putting more barriers up. Write your problems down and go to a GP that you do feel comfortable with or one that has a good understanding of mental health issues (you can ask the receptionists).
I just turned 18
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (35)
15.98%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (32)
14.61%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (45)
20.55%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (83)
37.9%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (12)
5.48%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.48%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise