Student Finance Wales - Could I be rejected? Watch

DiegoC
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
I have applied for a Master’s loan and sent my EU passport as requested by them today to support my application.
Though as they say it could take up to 6 weeks to process I’m slightly concerned they may tell me on the week I’m supposed to enrol that I can’t received funding for whatever reason, then I would have very little time to sort something out, if even possible.

I believe I meet all requirements, however, I’m confused about one:

• normally live in Wales, and didn’t move there for the purposes of study

But then below it says this for EU students:

• you’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for the past three years;

• You’ll be studying at a university in Wales.

I moved to Wales 3 years ago to start my undergraduate course, prior to that I was living in England.
In total I have been in the U.K. for 6 years and 8 months with an Italian(EU) passport.

I will be studying in an University in Wales, meet the age and course requirements, the course is designed by the welsh government and I never had funding for a post graduate course.

Basically the problem is whether, “normally live in Wales” would be an issue or not?
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 week ago
Well it seems as if you did move to Wales for the purposes of study because you moved 3 years ago to start an undergrad course. I'm not entirely sure how much this will affect you, but I'm 99% sure you don't meet that requirement.
DiegoC
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Well it seems as if you did move to Wales for the purposes of study because you moved 3 years ago to start an undergrad course. I'm not entirely sure how much this will affect you, but I'm 99% sure you don't meet that requirement.
I know I don’t meet that requirement, the question is whether that requirement is vital or whether the fact that I’m from the EU means I can get funding because I meet that criteria.

If having “normally live in Wales” was vital I don’t see why they would also add “Finance may be available to you if: 1 - normally live in the EU (which I do cause normally I live in the UK) 2 - will be studying in a university in Wales (which I will)

Just needed some confirmation from an EU student that may have been in the same situation or someone who knows someone, for peace of mind.
Last edited by DiegoC; 1 week ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (34)
16.04%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (31)
14.62%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (43)
20.28%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (81)
38.21%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (11)
5.19%
No particular grades needed (12)
5.66%