Student Finance Wales - Could I be rejected?

Watch
DiegoC
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
I have applied for a Master’s loan and sent my EU passport as requested by them today to support my application.
Though as they say it could take up to 6 weeks to process I’m slightly concerned they may tell me on the week I’m supposed to enrol that I can’t received funding for whatever reason, then I would have very little time to sort something out, if even possible.

I believe I meet all requirements, however, I’m confused about one:

• normally live in Wales, and didn’t move there for the purposes of study

But then below it says this for EU students:

• you’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for the past three years;

• You’ll be studying at a university in Wales.

I moved to Wales 3 years ago to start my undergraduate course, prior to that I was living in England.
In total I have been in the U.K. for 6 years and 8 months with an Italian(EU) passport.

I will be studying in an University in Wales, meet the age and course requirements, the course is designed by the welsh government and I never had funding for a post graduate course.

Basically the problem is whether, “normally live in Wales” would be an issue or not?
The Mogg
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Well it seems as if you did move to Wales for the purposes of study because you moved 3 years ago to start an undergrad course. I'm not entirely sure how much this will affect you, but I'm 99% sure you don't meet that requirement.
DiegoC
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
(Original post by The Mogg)
Well it seems as if you did move to Wales for the purposes of study because you moved 3 years ago to start an undergrad course. I'm not entirely sure how much this will affect you, but I'm 99% sure you don't meet that requirement.
I know I don’t meet that requirement, the question is whether that requirement is vital or whether the fact that I’m from the EU means I can get funding because I meet that criteria.

If having “normally live in Wales” was vital I don’t see why they would also add “Finance may be available to you if: 1 - normally live in the EU (which I do cause normally I live in the UK) 2 - will be studying in a university in Wales (which I will)

Just needed some confirmation from an EU student that may have been in the same situation or someone who knows someone, for peace of mind.
Last edited by DiegoC; 1 year ago
Life_Order
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
Hi,

by now you probably already know that you will get the Master's loan from Student Finance Wales.

To qualify for the master's loan as a non-UK EU student:

"You may also be eligible if you’re an EU national and any of the following apply:

you’ve normally lived in the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland for the past three years;
you’ll be studying at a university in Wales." - Student Finance Wales

So even if you had lived in Italy your entire life, and never set foot in the UK, you will be eligible for the Master's Loan. You can apply for up to £17000, out if which £1000 is a grant. Once you are in the UK, set up a bank account and apply for NINO (National insurance number), insert both your bank details and NINO number at the Student Finance Wales website and you'll receive your first out of the three instalments in your first uni week.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling ahead of starting University?

I am excited and looking forward to starting (39)
13.59%
I am excited but have some apprehension around Covid-19 measures (41)
14.29%
I am concerned I will miss out on aspects of the uni experience due to new measures (99)
34.49%
I am concerned the Covid-19 measures at uni are not strong enough (29)
10.1%
I am nervous and feel I don't have enough information (65)
22.65%
Something else (let us know in the thread!) (14)
4.88%

Watched Threads