Studying for a PGCE as a Scottish educated student Watch

EngT
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 weeks ago
Hello

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? I went through the scottish school system and also attended a uni here but now I am considering studying south of the border for a PGCE in Maths.

The reason is that I have found the scottish system very restrictive, my degree is a BEng in mechanical engineering and I have effectively been told by two unis that I would not be eligible to teach maths as I do not have enough maths 'credits' from courses (60 out of 80 required).

As far as I can see I can do a maths PGCE in england as it seems the same sort of restrictions are not in place but I'm not 100% sure (sometimes you need to sit extra tests or do an extra entry course?). I would also be able to get the ~20k teaching bursary whereas I am unable to get any bursary in scotland because my degree is a 2:2. The only main drawbacks I've been able to identify would be the cost of the course and having to learn the different curriculum.

If anyone has any experience of this or any other advice that would be much appreciated!
SarcAndSpark
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 weeks ago
(Original post by EngT)
Hello

Does anyone have any experience of doing this? I went through the scottish school system and also attended a uni here but now I am considering studying south of the border for a PGCE in Maths.

The reason is that I have found the scottish system very restrictive, my degree is a BEng in mechanical engineering and I have effectively been told by two unis that I would not be eligible to teach maths as I do not have enough maths 'credits' from courses (60 out of 80 required).

As far as I can see I can do a maths PGCE in england as it seems the same sort of restrictions are not in place but I'm not 100% sure (sometimes you need to sit extra tests or do an extra entry course?). I would also be able to get the ~20k teaching bursary whereas I am unable to get any bursary in scotland because my degree is a 2:2. The only main drawbacks I've been able to identify would be the cost of the course and having to learn the different curriculum.

If anyone has any experience of this or any other advice that would be much appreciated!
I don't have personal experience, but I can hopefully answer a few questions.

In England, unis like about 50% of your undergrad degree to be related to the subject you want to teach. Different unis will view this differently though, so it's worth emailing several to get their views.

In England, there are also SKEs available in shortage subjects, so if you are a bit under the 50%, you may be able to get on a course and then do an SKE- these are distance learning courses which bring you up to speed with the current curriculum. There's a small bursary available for these, and they usually take up about 15-20 hours a week so you could work part/full time whilst doing your SKE. Unis usually ask for an 8, 12 or 24 week course IME. Do you have higher/advanced higher maths, as this will help you!

I do know a few people with Engineering degrees/backgrounds who were accepted to teach physics in England if that would interest you at all? You could then potentially go on to teach some maths as well- I know a lot of schools in England have science teachers teaching some maths.

I did a science PGCE and know a few people on the course who had been educated in international schools and they managed fine- I would guess that maths is an easy-ish subject to transfer between curriculums as the base maths is the same everywhere and you're unlikely to be teaching completely different content.

I hope this helps a bit!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (209)
12.75%
Excited (146)
8.91%
Worried (296)
18.06%
Terrified (370)
22.57%
Meh (151)
9.21%
Confused (36)
2.2%
Putting on a brave face (224)
13.67%
Impatient (207)
12.63%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise