The Student Room Group

ib or a-levels for international studies

so, as I'm in yr 11, I (alongside others) must set out aspirations, based on what we want to be and how we're gonna do it. obviously stressing about university choices now would be foolish of me as I haven't even done my GCSE's or even moved to a sixth form, but I must know, if I did want to go to another country to study something such as medicine (as I do aspire to be a surgeon),would I be accepted with a good set of grades for a-levels rather than an ib,as I do truly dislike learning a language under such short time, and being rushed into learning specific words, conjugations, much higher levelled structures of sentences that'll give me higher marks,etc.. under the stress of a big exam that I cannot **** up. it's just extremely depressing. could I not just learn another language in another country as a transfer student, whilst doing a degree in English?
my parents are fluent in dutch but I cannot speak it as I was pushed into learning English at a very young age. I can, however, understand some dutch as that language is spoken at home a lot, so I hoped to go back to the Netherlands to study there. any advice? because I just feel really lost.
thank you.
Original post by kandor15
so, as I'm in yr 11, I (alongside others) must set out aspirations, based on what we want to be and how we're gonna do it. obviously stressing about university choices now would be foolish of me as I haven't even done my GCSE's or even moved to a sixth form, but I must know, if I did want to go to another country to study something such as medicine (as I do aspire to be a surgeon),would I be accepted with a good set of grades for a-levels rather than an ib,as I do truly dislike learning a language under such short time, and being rushed into learning specific words, conjugations, much higher levelled structures of sentences that'll give me higher marks,etc.. under the stress of a big exam that I cannot **** up. it's just extremely depressing. could I not just learn another language in another country as a transfer student, whilst doing a degree in English?
my parents are fluent in dutch but I cannot speak it as I was pushed into learning English at a very young age. I can, however, understand some dutch as that language is spoken at home a lot, so I hoped to go back to the Netherlands to study there. any advice? because I just feel really lost.
thank you.

A levels are fine, easier to retake and no problem with being internationally recognised. Dont forget to do Bio and Chem plus one other. All UK med schools accept them.If you have specific unis in mind check entrance requirements for any language or other requirements , but Bio and Chem plus one other at AAA or A*AA should be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest