Loris93
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 1 year ago
Good morning all,

Hope I’ve posted in the correct place, if not could someone let me know a better section to post on, thanks!

I’m a complete rookie to studying- left school with no formal qualifications for one reason or another.

The absolute dream and goal is to be a Paramedic, I’ve got a very supportive husband who will/can financially provide solely for our family (got two daughters) whilst I studying to make my dream happen.
So my questions are..
Does anyone know what qualifications I would need to obtain in the first place to get into Uni to do the course (Bournemouth is our nearest Uni)?
I have tried to have a look on their website, but I struggled to understand fully.
I have emailed them to ask but I thought I’d ask on here, incase someone can explain it quicker/better for me.

I’ve been looking into Open Uni to see if there’s any courses I can do to gain what I need (at home learning would be best for now as our second daughter is a baby) and came across the “Certificate of Higher Education in Healthcare with Health Science” course.
Does anyone know if this holds any worth with Uni’s? Is it an Access course?

Also with course tuition fee’s, can you borrow as much as you want (from SFE) ie can I do whatever courses I need to do with Open Uni (and pay for them via SFE) to gain the qualifications, I need to get on the Paramedic course and then be able to do the Paramedics course after.
And again pay for it all through SFE or is their only a set amount you can borrow/set amount of courses you’re allowed to do and borrow the money for through them?

Sorry if I sound dumb 🙈 like I said completely new to all this and no one I know had been to Uni lol!

Thank you
Loris
Jen SFE
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Loris93)
Good morning all,

Hope I’ve posted in the correct place, if not could someone let me know a better section to post on, thanks!

I’m a complete rookie to studying- left school with no formal qualifications for one reason or another.

The absolute dream and goal is to be a Paramedic, I’ve got a very supportive husband who will/can financially provide solely for our family (got two daughters) whilst I studying to make my dream happen.
So my questions are..
Does anyone know what qualifications I would need to obtain in the first place to get into Uni to do the course (Bournemouth is our nearest Uni)?
I have tried to have a look on their website, but I struggled to understand fully.
I have emailed them to ask but I thought I’d ask on here, incase someone can explain it quicker/better for me.

I’ve been looking into Open Uni to see if there’s any courses I can do to gain what I need (at home learning would be best for now as our second daughter is a baby) and came across the “Certificate of Higher Education in Healthcare with Health Science” course.

Also with course tuition fee’s, can you borrow as much as you want (from SFE) ie can I do whatever courses I need to do with Open Uni (and pay for them via SFE) to gain the qualifications, I need to get on the Paramedic course and then be able to do the Paramedics course after.
And again pay for it all through SFE or is their only a set amount you can borrow/set amount of courses you’re allowed to do and borrow the money for through them?

Sorry if I sound dumb 🙈 like I said completely new to all this and no one I know had been to Uni lol!

Thank you
Loris
Hi Loris,

The rule regarding previous study states that students are entitled to the ordinary duration of their course plus 1 extra year, minus any previous study. Since you have had no previous higher education study, you will be eligible to receive 4 years of full time funding. We fund for level 4-8 qualifications.

Thanks, Jen
BU Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 1 year ago
(Original post by Loris93)
Good morning all,

So my questions are..

Thank you
Loris
Hi, it's likely you'll need either A-levels or an access to higher education course, to do either of these you would likely need English and Maths GCSE (some access courses allow you to do these as you study for the access course, but this is quite a lot of work).

From the Bournemouth University Paramedic Science page I can see that you would require any of the following:

For September 2020 entry: 112 - 128 tariff points including a minimum of 2 A levels or equivalent, including 40 points in a required subject.

Required subjects:

A-Level: Biology, Human Biology, Physical Education, Health Science, Life Science

BTEC Extended Diploma: Applied Science (Depending on units- looking for biology, physiology, anatomy), Health & Social Care (from 2016), Health & Social Care (Health Studies) (from 2016), Sport & Exercise Science

Numeracy and Literacy requirement: GCSE English and Mathematics grade 4 (or grade C in the old grading system). We also accept iGCSEs, Key Skills and Functional Skills and other qualifications at Level 2 of the National Qualifications Framework.

A-level and AS levels: 112 - 128 tariff points including a minimum of 2 A levels or equivalent, including 40 points in a required subject.

Advanced Welsh Baccalaureate – Skills Challenge Certificate: We accept this qualification, but it must be accompanied by an A-level sized qualification to meet the overall UCAS tariff.

Access to HE Diploma: 112 - 128 tariff points in a required subject with any combination of Distinction, Merit, Pass grades including 15 level 3 credits in a required subject.

It is great that you've reached out to us to find out more, and you should consider coming to one of our open days to ask questions and see if paramedic science is definitely for you. In the meantime contact Bournemouth and Poole College to ask about their B-TEC, Access and A-levels and also their GCSE's.

There are local establishments that allow you to study GCSE's in the evenings so this could be your first step as you'd need these for your uni application as well as the B-TEC or access course.

Access courses are funded by SFE and if you complete your degree the access loan is cleared.

Another thing to consider is that paramedic science is fairly competitive so your personal statement would need to show why you want to become a paramedic and you would need to show previous experience that could be applied to a future role. It might be worth looking at volunteering at St John's Ambulance etc. You'd also need to ensure that placements could be worked around your family life, something you could enquire about at open days.

I hope this helps and good luck.

Vicki
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you experienced financial difficulties as a student due to Covid-19?

Yes, I have really struggled financially (44)
18.03%
I have experienced some financial difficulties (69)
28.28%
I haven't experienced any financial difficulties and things have stayed the same (92)
37.7%
I have had better financial opportunities as a result of the pandemic (30)
12.3%
I've had another experience (let us know in the thread!) (9)
3.69%

Watched Threads